DUST CONTROL

/ DUST CONTROL #1  

Catman8

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 30B, John Deere 2032R
I have this dirt road that is elevated above my house that is 15' wide and 660' long and I am being dusted out by every vehicle that drives on it, I am looking for a permanent fix or long lasting solution and I can't afford asphalt or concrete. I live in a agricultural part of California and they advertise seasonal dust control products that they spray on your roads for about $1000, I don't want to put any hazardous products on my land ( petroleum products or used motor oil) and don't want to spend $1000 per year for a road I don't use and getting the two neighbors that use the road to pay for this is going to be a problem. Is there a product that will last more than a year or a type of soil that won't give off dust, I'm so tired of breathing this dust and having everything I own covered with dust, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1028.PNGIMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1184.PNG

Last edited:
   / DUST CONTROL #2  
Beet juice is used, not sure on the cost but for not a lot of money I've put down calcium chloride flakes that work well. I don't think you will get a year out of it, maybe.
I've used old motor oil in the past and I understand your concerns. My situation was on my drive that was right next to a small swimming pond, elevated above the pond and some storm water was able to wash off of it and go through the lawn & find the pond. I never ever had a sign of oil the pond (or the lawn for that matter) and you know all it takes to see that rainbow sheen is a single drop of oil. I applied it with a 2" pipe that had holes drilled in it at about 2" canters. It screwed into a 55 gal. drum with a valve & a tee with the ends capped. You could control the application rate well between the valve and travel speed. I'd lay the barrel down on a set of forks on the tractor loader. I think that with common sense used considering how much you apply and the immediate upcoming weather there are no environmental concerns with your >10,000 sq ft dust problem. But try the calcium flakes first.

/ DUST CONTROL #3  
Dust-Off(R) Dust Suppressant

This is what I used on a few thousand feet of road. The problem with doing it yourself is the tank and pump needed. Plus because of the clean-up most water trucks won't do it. If you got a little set-up and sprayed yourself you could cut costs. After a few years the road will have a shine from the product-it works well! I learned about it from a local query that used it on a shared road- lots of trucks every day and it held up great.

Good luck

Edited to add MSDS for product as it provides some info regarding environmental concerns. BTW I used the product in CA and the product was used on a road that is a river crossing in CA (query described above)

http://www.sfm.state.or.us/CR2K_SubDB/MSDS/DUST_OFF_ICE_MELTER.PDF

Last edited:
   / DUST CONTROL #4  
Chip n seal. Tar/oil base with chipped rock on top.

/ DUST CONTROL
Dust-Off(R) Dust Suppressant

This is what I used on a few thousand feet of road. The problem with doing it yourself is the tank and pump needed. Plus because of the clean-up most water trucks won't do it. If you got a little set-up and sprayed yourself you could cut costs. After a few years the road will have a shine from the product-it works well! I learned about it from a local query that used it on a shared road- lots of trucks every day and it held up great.

Good luck

Edited to add MSDS for product as it provides some info regarding environmental concerns. BTW I used the product in CA and the product was used on a road that is a river crossing in CA (query described above)

http://www.sfm.state.or.us/CR2K_SubDB/MSDS/DUST_OFF_ICE_MELTER.PDF

I found a company that sprays the product you mentioned and I am awaiting a return call.

/ DUST CONTROL
Chip n seal. Tar/oil base with chipped rock on top.

So if it's illegal to dump oil on the ground, how are these companies allowed to spray it on the roads.:confused:

/ DUST CONTROL #8  
Calcium chloride is universally used on rural roads to keep dust down. It works and is easy to apply. Also, plant some trees along side the road for long range planning. you can always cut them down if they pave the road or get in the way.

/ DUST CONTROL #9  
It's a viscous tar/oil product that holds the chips in place. It doesn't run all over the place.

/ DUST CONTROL
Unfortunately, this dirt road is an easement running half through my property and there are only two residence that use the road, so one neighbor has already told me that there is not a dust problem, so I can already see some problems with what I can put down because the last thing I need is him telling me I damaged his car.