DUST CONTROL

/ DUST CONTROL
Calcium chloride is universally used on rural roads to keep dust down. It works and is easy to apply. Also, plant some trees along side the road for long range planning. you can always cut them down if they pave the road or get in the way.

Don't know if it's true but one company told me that calcium chloride does not work in California because you need moisture for it to work and CA. Is to dry:confused3: If calcium chloride will rust tractor rims what will it do to someone's car:confused:

/ DUST CONTROL #12  
Unfortunately, this dirt road is an easement running half through my property and there are only two residence that use the road, so one neighbor has already told me that there is not a dust problem, so I can already see some problems with what I can put down because the last thing I need is him telling me I damaged his car.

Get the town to put it down?

/ DUST CONTROL
Get the town to put it down?

Unfortunately It's not a county road it's considered a public right-of-way and it's up to the two neighbors who use it to maintain it and they are not the ones eating the dust so they see no problem, I'm trying to find the best solution before I approach them.

/ DUST CONTROL #14  
Hire a road crew to put it down after they tell you that's what you need for dust control. Just tell the neighbor you need some sort of dust control and since we share the road and the responsibilities, let's hire this maintenance guy and we'll split the cost. Your neighbor and you jointly maintain the road so that means split the cost.

If they say it's not a problem, agree with them. No problem for them but big problem for you and one day these roles will be reversed and he will have some issue if the road to his driveway washes out and you tell him to pound sand. Just negotiate.

/ DUST CONTROL #15  
Don't know if it's true but one company told me that calcium chloride does not work in California because you need moisture for it to work and CA. Is to dry:confused3: If calcium chloride will rust tractor rims what will it do to someone's car:confused:

I had wondered about that. It was very dry here that summer I used it, but I think it's more about the humidity in the air.

/ DUST CONTROL #16  
Calcium Chloride and or Magnesium Chloride will suck the moisture out of the air and dampen the road thus keeping the dust down. That being said, I would make the road rough enough that the neighbour would have to drive slowly in order not to damage his car. If he wants you to help fix the rough road, tell him it is not a problem for you and he can pound sand/salt.

In the middle of the night, when everybody is sleeping EXCEPT for you, get your car/pickup truck and go onto the road in question and in numerous places spin your tires. Every time you spin your wheels on gravel roads you create pot holes. If not graded out they become large pot holes and eventually shock breaking pot holes/craters. Need I say more?

Last edited:
   / DUST CONTROL #17  
Trees, very leafy or fir trees. Neighbors on our road keep the blackberries (which are an invasive plant) growing along the edge of the roadway to keep summer dust down.

I agree with Looking, I would just let the road go to heck and people will slow down.

/ DUST CONTROL #18  
Since he thinks it is not a problem setup a trail cam to video him making dust, then start sending him bill for dust and dirt removal send them certified. When he refused to pay offer 2 options we work together to control dust or I see you in court

/ DUST CONTROL #19  
I would double check with your town/county hall to see if there is any stipulation in the road agreement that the 2 neighbors have. There might be a maintenance clause that could be used to argue that the current maintenance is insufficient to meet the road agreement. My property has something like that between ourselves and 2 neighbors. Similar to your situation, but opposite, I'm concerned about the first house on our shared dirt driveway as in the summer they get hammered with dust in dry times. They don't complain but it's unacceptable to me and we don't want to put down oil. I would be interested in the ballpark price for dust off, how often it needs to be applied, and weather winter snow removal essentially scrapes it away. Thanks for bringing this up.

/ DUST CONTROL #20  
It doesn't get scraped away unless you remove it with the snow removal. We did it once a year with great results- year 2 and 3 were even better. You can do it more often if you like. The product is cheap, it's the set-up that costs $. If you had a little spray rig you could do it yourself. Don't quote me on the amount but I'm guessing 55gal mix would do 25-50' of 12' wide road.

Driveway/Road easements are a part of the property. Most are very similar though. If you don't have a copy (it came with your title/mortgage paperwork) then go to the title company and ask for it. They will probably provide it for little or no cost.
The typical easement includes language requiring the road be maintained to the original condition. IE smooth, proper drainage, no pot holes etc. The other part of the language divides cost. Typically the portions that are used by the party's are paid for by the party's. In OP's example the first part would be divided by 3 the next portion divided by 2 and the the guy at the end of the easement is paying for the section he alone uses. Having been in the same situation in CA I know it is tough- especially when one party doesn't feel it's an issue. You can push as much as you want but the end of the day it's probably cheaper to just take care of it, as the $1000 figure once a year is peanuts when lawyers are involved or the neighbors start honking or driving fast just to piss others off. Sad but true- especially in that part of the country.....