Natural Gas Powered Generator

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator #1  

Farwell

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2010
I am in the process of getting bids for the purchase and installation of a natural gas powered 12kW Guardian Plus Home Standby generator. Has anyone on TBN had any positive or negative information on this generator system?
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Farwell

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator #2  
I choose not to go with a Guardian because of delivery, warranty, and easier maintenance.
I went with a B&S 12KW unit. 200amp whole house transfer switch. Click Here Price was $4300 including tax. Installation was $1700. But this include a 150' gas line to garage and replacement of main breaker box in house. How well it works I cannot tell you. It has been installed for about 4 weeks. Have not had a power failure to see how well it will run house and three other buildings.
When I got a quote from the 3 different Guardian contractors they had a backlog of 6 or more weeks to get the generator.
One complaint I heard was from a person that bought a unit from HD they ended up paying more than the original price. Because they forgot to include the startup time for the contractor.
Several neighbors have Guardians. I have not heard any complaints.

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator #3  
I have a 15kw guardian that runs on propane it is an excellant
unit it is a 4 cyl watercooled unit that runs at 1800 rpm. I have had the unit come on 5 times in the last year one was for a 5 hour duration. If you check out the spec. you can get 4 pole or 2 pole the differance being 1800 rpm or 3600 rpm the noise level on the 3600 is much more intrusive.

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator
Ron,
Thanks for the BS site. I checked it out and was impressed by the 12kW unit. The cost is more than I can afford right now. I did not know that they made a generator.
The local installer/dealer for Guardian Plus stopped by today and gave me a price for the 7kW model....$2,446 for the unit, around $850 for the install, approximately $100 for the gas guy and around $75 for a battery.
I found the 7kW unit at A.P. Electric on the Internet for $1888 which included shipping and lift gate charge.
The 7kW units are available but the 12kW units won't ship until around March 6. The hurricane hit areas have been given a super priority.
Thanks again for the info.
Farwell

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator #6  
I recently purchased (2 months ago) a Guardian 15KW Air Cooled unit. I run it on Propane. I did the complete install myself. The unit cost $2969.00 with free shipping from Norwall Power Systems

I think it is the best value out there in automatic backup generators. The unit work as described, and included everything to do the install but the materials to get the gas line to it.
Would I want to run a hospital on it? NO, but for home use it is a great deal.
I can answer a specific questions you have since I did the install, even had to learn about LP hookups, regulators, Inches of Water pressure measurements. I even made my own manometer to set the regulator.

Toy,
Thanks for the info.
I have not corresponded with anyone other than you that has had any Guardian generator experience. I went to Epinions.com to see if the 12kW was rated, it was, but by just two people, one person was happy and the other person trashed the unit.
I like the idea of the water cooled unit but the 15kW is much more than I would use or need. If I can place the generator where I want to, noise should not be a problem so the 3600 rpm unit should work fine, but this was another issue that I was not aware of.
Farwell

Kenny,
I went to the Norwall site and found it to be very informative and it appears that they have the generators in stock. The cost is the same as the other site that I went to that did not have them in stock.
Thanks for the offer to help when I get ready to get the generator. Sounds like I may really need help, I have never heard of a manometer, didn't know that a regulator was required and inches of water pressure measurement. Not sure if all of this is required for a natural gas hook up but it is obvious that I need to do some serious research if I get the courage to attempt the hook up my self.
Thanks again.
Farwell

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator #9  
Here is something that those wanting LNG generators for their homes.

In a SHTF scenario, ie.. hurricane, your natural gas supply might get shut off. I suggest looking in to the cost of renting or purchasing a 500 gallon propane tank to go along with your generator and have all bases covered. Plus, energy per unit, natural gas vs propane, the propane has more energy.

The genset on my horse trailer is propane fired. During Rita, I just connected my 500 gallon propane tank to the generator and I was all set. I ran it at 4kw for 8 days and didn't see any relative propane usage on my dial indicator on the tank.

Just something to think about.

Chris,
The local Guardian guy that stopped by today suggested propane as another option. Depending how far away the generator location is from my natural gas supply and the cost of getting the pipe to the generator if I have to pay someone to do it I may find that it is cheaper to go with propane. The guy that does the pipe work charges $85 for the first 5 feet and $35 for each additional foot.
Thank you for your input and helping me think about other options, I now feel that I have the freedom to put the generator where I want it instead of 2 feet from my gas meter.
Farwell