Natural Gas Powered Generator

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator #11  
No problem, my pleasure!
The people at Norwall were great to deal with. Shipping was superfast. I highly recommend them.

How far away from the meter do you think you would put the genset? Having the proper sized pipe for a long run could be a PITA.
As far as noise with the air cooled model, I was worried to, but the cabinet they come in does a remarkable job attenuating the noise/drone from the engine running, and I could not justify the cost of a water cooled unit as they are twice the price.
You should not need a regulator on your NG system, you should have the correct pressure from you meter, but you to can build a manometer for about $5.00 and check the pressure.
I wish I got paid $35.00 a foot to run pipe!

Good luck!

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator #12  
I have Ameri-Gas here in Texas. When I had the tank delivered, I had the installer put a "T" in the line right before the house. BTW - They used 1/2" soft copper tubing to plumb the gas to the house. From there I have mostly 3/4" and 1/2" black steel pipe inside the house. I asked about the copper and the installer said that they have been using it for years with no problems. After I leveled a spot with the dozer, he dropped the tank, got the trencher out, laid 30' of 1/2" copper pipe, and covered it up. No biggie. So if you did go propane, plumbing costs would be considerably less.

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator
Chris,
I have been doing the math in my head on the running of the gas line at $85 for the first 5 feet and $35 for each foot after than. If I had to run 15 feet it would cost me $435. No way will go that route. It will cost me $300 for a tank setting permit, the cost of the tank and the cost to fill the tank. I have not called around for the tank and fuel cost yet.
I am still exploring all of my options. My latest thought is to get a 7kW portable gas generator, install a transfer switch and do it all myself. Another thought has been to get a portable gas powered welder and install a transfer switch, that way I wouldn't have something that sat 99% of the time not being used.
Thanks again for the input.
Farwell

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator #14  
The guy that did my gas line put 150' of 3/4" plastic in . He charged me $200 for material and the rest was labor. Which included pipe to Generator and a gas furnace in my Shop. I dug the trench 150' trench. He had a death in the family so I completed the install of plastic gas line. Attached is a picture of the 2' drop and connector for plastic line. Nice stuff to work with. No leaks. I don't know who manufactures it but can find out.

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator #15  
Just something to keep in mind. When doing a genset, especially after all of these natural disasters, planning for the SHTF scenario plays a more prominent roll.

So, even if you had to pay ~10% more for getting the propane setup, that would remove the unknown of the availability of natural gas when the time comes.

Now, here's an added feature!! Got a gas grill?? forget the bbq bottles. Use your 500 gallon propane tank! ( that's my next project.) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ron,
The folks that ran the gas line and installed my pole barn heater used the yellow plastic pipe. I kept a sample of the pipe so I could get some myself if I need it.
Curious, what is the transition to grey pipe in your photo for?
There is a place about 25 miles away that sells the natural gas plastic and transition fittings but not sure if I can buy from them retail. I watched the installers and was amazed at how easy it was to work with the yellow pipe.
When I was a kid I worked as a combination pipe fitter/sheet metal apprentice for the Southern Pacific Railroad and the thoughts of paying the price that was quoted to me to run the gas line made me chuckle a little. Maybe I should have stayed in the business. I have done my own pipe and plumbing work for the past 40 years or so.
Farwell

Chris,
I was thinking of doing just the opposite. I have a Weber propane grill and have two 30 pound propane bottles and was wondering how long I could run a generator on the 30 pound bottles.
That is a good idea though. I have thought that if I ever buy another Weber grill I was going to get the natural gas model. If I get a large propane tank that would solve that issue.
I really appreciate all the ideas, they are getting my creative juices flowing. I rarely do what everyone else does, I take the ideas and end up doing things my way (usually at a much higher cost than if I had just done it the easy way) The fun is in the planing and doing.
Thanks.
Farwell

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator #18  
The Grey pipe is the transition from plastic to steel. It runs galvanized steel 2' down to the plastic. Parts were purchased from Taylor-Young (I think thats their name) in New Hudson, Mi. The parts had Consolidated on them.

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator #19  
A 30 pounder won't get you far. My 19 gallon slung tank on my horse trailer will run my 4400 Onan genset, fridge, and A/C unit for almost 40 hours straight during the hot summer. Long enough for a weekend of occasional use, not enough for SHTF.

/ Natural Gas Powered Generator #20  
If the propane will only be used for the generator, then my thought is to go with multiple the 100 lb tanks. Some advantages:

1. Much cheaper than buying and installing an underground tank.

2. They are light enough to put in the back of a pickup to get them filled (avoids propane company delivery/tank rental fees).

3. At a burn rate of 1 gal per hour each one will last approx. 20 hours.

If you go with the 100 lb tank option - make sure you get the ones with a bulk fill connector on the top (same fill connector as that used on the larger tanks). The supplier that I use can only fill through this connector (vice the pol connector).

BTW - the 100 lb tanks sold at TSC do not have this connector (the TSC tanks only have the POL fitting).

Joe