Building up Pad site for Barn

/ Building up Pad site for Barn
I know they didn't saw the joint so they must have used ex joint. (not sure what that is, ex = expansion?)

On the slab that they poured for my friend they put expansion joints in basically dividing it into 4 quadrants. On mine they just put in 1 across the middle, I guess they think when it cracks it will still crack with the grade of the slope even if I think I got the pad packed in well.

They ended up needing a couple yards of cement on a 3rd truck so they had about a 15' x 10' area to pour in the front corner, they may have just not gotten the expansion joint put in because of that. I asked about why they didn't do a 2nd one like they did on my friends slab (same guys pouring both slabs) but didn't really get a good answer.

One interesting thing is that they had a 1.5"X1.5" board nailed to the top of all their forms on the inside of the slab. This resulted in a 1.5" lip all around the perimeter of the slab. When the tin goes on the outside, it goes down to the lip to help keep rain, etc. out.

/ Building up Pad site for Barn #44  
Even after concrete had dried, it continues to move when heated and cooled. This is why roads that are concrete have the exansion joints in them and you feel the bump as you drive along. Same with concrete bridges and overpasses. Concrete must be allowed to move when exposed to the sun.

On homes and shops, there's no need to put expansion joints or cut a line down it if there's a building over it. What's done is done, but don't confuse driveways and walkways with building pads.

Can you imagine if people did that on home pads?

When you pour additional pads that touch your building, you must put an expansion joint in there to compensate for the movement of the concrete that is exposed to the elements.

Eddie

/ Building up Pad site for Barn #45  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Even after concrete had dried, it continues to move when heated and cooled. This is why roads that are concrete have the exansion joints in them and you feel the bump as you drive along. Same with concrete bridges and overpasses. Concrete must be allowed to move when exposed to the sun.

On homes and shops, there's no need to put expansion joints or cut a line down it if there's a building over it. What's done is done, but don't confuse driveways and walkways with building pads.

Can you imagine if people did that on home pads?

When you pour additional pads that touch your building, you must put an expansion joint in there to compensate for the movement of the concrete that is exposed to the elements.

Eddie

)</font>

I politely disagree. A thin kerf saw slit in a larger cold garage or expansion joint between the slab & block walls is a good measure of protection against a freak freeze and expansion problem, water under slab, area of poor compaction, etc. It certainly can't hurt anything. If the slab was in a basement or house that was warm, it would be totally unecessary.

/ Building up Pad site for Barn #46  
Me and Eddie don't have to worry about freezing that much /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif