generlink, anyone used one?

/ generlink, anyone used one? #41  
My guess would be a constant duty DPDT (Dual Pole Dual Throw) relay that is held open by utility power and when that goes away, the contacts to the utility side open as the contacts to the generator close.

Aaron Z
Yeah, DPDT would do it as you say. Lit says however, that it doesnt switch back to utility power until gen is turned off. I dont know whether that means disconnected, as in removing their special plug at the GenerLink, or just turning off the generator. ... Also, I think it will go to generator anytime the gen is "ON"'. :confused2:

GenerLink - First Electric Cooperative

/ generlink, anyone used one? #42  
Yeah, DPDT would do it as you say. Lit says however, that it doesnt switch back to utility power until gen is turned off. I dont know whether that means disconnected, as in removing their special plug at the GenerLink, or just turning off the generator. ... Also, I think it will go to generator anytime the gen is "ON"'. :confused2:

GenerLink - First Electric Cooperative
Perhaps the relay is powered off of the generator side?

Aaron Z

/ generlink, anyone used one? #43  
Perhaps the relay is powered off of the generator side?

Aaron Z

I've been lurking but reading everyone's replies - also read the info at GenerLink - First Electric Cooperative

Thanks to everyone for their input. Sorry if I created more confusion.
The Generlink was originally recommended by a solar company as part of a proposed soar system for my shop but, as discussed here it probably is not the best solution for what I want.
I asked them how the Generlink works - Per his answers it works as described below.
The Generlink must installed and a generator (or other power source - i.e. solar inverter power) plugged in and generating power
AND, the Generlink will accept generator power ONLY when Grid power is OFF.
AND will switch back to grid if it senses that grid power is back on, even when generator power is present.
does that make sense to the electricians on the string?
Thanks,
jose
ALERT ALERT - I just called the 1-800 number and spoke with Generlink - according to Generlink
If you connect a generator to the Generlink and turn on generator power - it will disconnect from the grid
AND, it will stay disconnected from the grid until the generator stops producing power.
This is to ensure that generator power cannot back feed to the grid - EVER

Last edited:
   / generlink, anyone used one? #44  
This sounds exactly right to me, which makes the price seem like a rip off.

The cost is not in the manufacture of the device . The paper pushers have invaided everything and are taking a percentage. Engineering, legal, marketing, advertising, office overhead , conforming to and following hundreds of government regulations in manufacturing, labour, employees , licenses, fees, taxes etc. Then there is storage, shipping, warehouse distribution and retail markup. Makes a $29.99 device cost $800 plus tax.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #45  
Thanks for your expertise - your explanation is dissapointing but at least I know what the generlink will do -
So, a grid tie inverter and adequate panels (no batteries) would provide power during daylight - but not night or overcast days? Does the system know when to switch back to grid power or is that manual?
Is there a good site that explains this stuff for nerds? I suppose a trailer mounted (5- 6 kw) solar unit with batteries could replace a generator and work with generlink but it wouldn't be practical to invest in solar power and use it only during emergencies.
I understand that Mississippi net metering isn't user friendly - utilities are proud of the power they generate but not so much with power generated by alternate means. I'm not that interested in making batteries pay for themselves - I was hoping to use solar power and reduce the need for grid power..but still have grid power if the solar isn't working. My pimary interest is having a noncombustable -generator power source (read solar) available for essentials like the water well, lights a fan or two or small window A/C next time we lose grid power for weeks during summer heat.

As the others have stated . A non combustion source of backup requires batteries and a stand alone inverter or that nifty Sunny Boy unit that I 'll be looking into myself.
Free, clean reliable solar and wind power touted by the politicians and the "green companies" is not as cheap, simple and reliable as they would have you believe .

The Sunny Boy "secure supply" maxes out with just 1500W supply if the sunny boy is isolated from the utility grid and the solar panels are sending at least 1700W of power to the inverter.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #46  
ALERT ALERT - I just called the 1-800 number and spoke with Generlink - according to Generlink
If you connect a generator to the Generlink and turn on generator power - it will disconnect from the grid
AND, it will stay disconnected from the grid until the generator stops producing power.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #47  
As the others have stated . A non combustion source of backup requires batteries and a stand alone inverter or that nifty Sunny Boy unit that I 'll be looking into myself.
Free, clean reliable solar and wind power touted by the politicians and the "green companies" is not as cheap, simple and reliable as they would have you believe .

The Sunny Boy "secure supply" maxes out with just 1500W supply if the sunny boy is isolated from the utility grid and the solar panels are sending at least 1700W of power to the inverter.
From what Ive read it must have the 3 wire 240V. ... The splitphase setup most homes have. It will not work on 120.

My main worry -- other than no detailed functional info -- is that you have to deal through the power company since it goes behind the meter. If your power company supports it its probably all good. If your power company just allows its use that would also be fine if its totally reliable; but dealing with malfunction would be a group grope.

,,,,Some of these reviews worry me:
http://www.amazon.com/Generlink-Auto-Transfer-Switch-MA23-N/product-reviews/B001SOIXQ0

/ generlink, anyone used one? #48  

From what Ive read it must have the 3 wire 240V. ... The splitphase setup most homes have. It will not work on 120.

My main worry -- other than no detailed functional info -- is that you have to deal through the power company since it goes behind the meter. If your power company supports it its probably all good. If your power company just allows its use that would also be fine if its totally reliable; but dealing with malfunction would be a group grope.

,,,,Some of these reviews worry me:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Generlink Auto Transfer Switch - 3 Amp, Model# MA23-N

/ generlink, anyone used one? #49  
The cost is not in the manufacture of the device . The paper pushers have invaided everything and are taking a percentage. Engineering, legal, marketing, advertising, office overhead , conforming to and following hundreds of government regulations in manufacturing, labour, employees , licenses, fees, taxes etc. Then there is storage, shipping, warehouse distribution and retail markup. Makes a $29.99 device cost $800 plus tax.
Yea, yea, yea. Based on that logic a car should cost a million dollars.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #50  
Yea, yea, yea. Based on that logic a car should cost a million dollars.

Why are you mad at me about the corporate cost structure ? Your car vs Generlink numbers are off a bit as you failed to allow for a couple of factors. A 30,000 car has roughly $3,000 directly invested in materials, labour, utilities and manufacturing facility amortization .