generlink, anyone used one?

/ generlink, anyone used one? #61  
The Generlink device is a great option. Unfortunately in Washington state our L&I chief electrical inspector is an idiot and will not approve it even though it is UL Listed and several county PUDs have overridden his decision and approved their use anyway. Some county PUDs will even install them for free. Love the way they thumb their nose at our stupid Chief Electrical L&I Inspector! :laughing:

/ generlink, anyone used one? #62  
The Generlink device is a great option. Unfortunately in Washington state our L&I chief electrical inspector is an idiot and will not approve it even though it is UL Listed and several county PUDs have overridden his decision and approved their use anyway. Some county PUDs will even install them for free. Love the way they thumb their nose at our stupid Chief Electrical L&I Inspector! :laughing:

Bought one last week. Looking forward to installing it.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #63  
Funny thing for me is I was going to have this done-they wanted 6,000 dollars for this, the installation, and 7,500 watt portable generator. Just as I was about to sign the contract-Natural Gas got installed on my road. So just to compare I called Home Depot for the generacs....To have a 16kw whole house with a whole house auto switch installed and the NG line hooked up was ......check this out..

400 of that was for the NG hookup....

So I went with Generac :) no hassle, no worry and I have a 10 year warranty.

The Generlink I would have been limited to 30 amps, 7,500 watts. During outage I would have had to fuel up the generator, pull it outside and plug the cord in. My Generac setup-only thing I do is make sure the green light is on and do the tune up every October. It also runs itself twice a month....and has heated battery, and engine oil filter for coooold winters.

I should be a Generac spokes person LMAO-but I know Briggs and Stratton, Khols, and other brands have the same options with similar prices. I am not brand specific but I do love the convenience of having a whole house automatic generator.

Was watching TV two nights ago and bam electricity went out-pitch black. Just as I started to fumble in the dark looking for my wife who was getting panicky and wondering where I put the dang flashlight when again bam house came back to life. (there is a 60 sec delay from when the generator starts up to when the switch flips on for the house). We dont know when we go back to grid power because the switch is instant...and the the generator shuts down after 30 seconds.

Sorry folks...was just thinking about how happy we are with this setup....4 years later even.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #64  
ya....i also love my generac 22kw install. we had power outage last week.....6 seconds unit starts up, 20 seconds later i have power. it was at evening so light wasnt an issue it being summer, but i was watching tv and trying to complete making dinner. all i had to do was restart the oven.

i dont install or sell Generlink system, but i have seen them installed. seem like a nice system. they have 30 or 50 amp versions. i can do a manual transfer switch on nearly any brand panel for WAY less money and has the same functionality of the genlink system. there are a few online retailers of panel interlocks that are manual, UL approved units selling for $69-119.00. I used to stock and supply MANY, MANY of these units. i would install them with a corresponding outdoor 30 or 50 amp receptacle for generator input for about 1/2 the price of a Generlink system. Where generlink really worked good is on systems that have a remote meter feeding separate facilities such as a house and a well house. this way the well also got power. but then they had to haul a generator way out to the meter. but thats life.

and i like the fact that my 22KW unit powers the entire house AND barn (stock tank heaters) with no physical input from me unless i wish to shut down the system at bed time

/ generlink, anyone used one? #65  
Had the Generlink installed on the rental cottage on Aug. 4. Got the big 50 amp one with surge protection. Had to do it, because the 200 amp cottage supply also services the boathouse and a second cottage. Also bought a Westinghouse Wgen9500 dual fuel generator and a 100 lb. propane tank, which should last about 40 hrs. In a power outage, and cost just over $50 to fill. Then, if more is needed I can disconnect the tank and leave the generator running on gasoline while I go fill the propane tank.

Nice setup, really. The gasoline tank itself will last about 12 hours while I go fill up the 100 lb. propane tank. And if I get really desperate, I have several little 20 lb. BBQ tanks I can use.

Now I have to finish up the generator shed I started!

/ generlink, anyone used one? #66  
BTW, the Generlink has a nice feature whereby it automatically switches back over to Hydro One power when they fix the problem and turn the power back on. It does not, however, turn your generator off. So, you have to know when the outage is over so you can turn the generator off yourself.

Fortunately, you can set up your Hydro One account to send you a text (a) when power goes out, and (b) when it goes back on. Or you can go outside and look at the generlink, and look for the green light to be on again.

Not as convenient as the automatic transfer switch setup that we have at our own personal cottage, but a HECK of a lot less money!

/ generlink, anyone used one? #67  
I've been looking at options. I can get a 100A manual transfer switch for under $200, but I'm not sure about the install or if I can do it myself. I see a lot of auto transfer switch kits, but they all have their own panels and breakers, so you have to select which circuits you want. Not going there.

I have a portable 7500 that I can use for now and have been using it with cords. Power is dirty though, so I also have a 2K Predator inverter unit.

One problem I have with manual whole house transfer switches is knowing when utility power comes back. I'd need some kind of indicator.

/ generlink, anyone used one? #68  
I've been looking at options. I can get a 100A manual transfer switch for under $200, but I'm not sure about the install or if I can do it myself. I see a lot of auto transfer switch kits, but they all have their own panels and breakers, so you have to select which circuits you want. Not going there.

I have a portable 7500 that I can use for now and have been using it with cords. Power is dirty though, so I also have a 2K Predator inverter unit.

One problem I have with manual whole house transfer switches is knowing when utility power comes back. I'd need some kind of indicator.

Well, for us the utility sends a text when the power is back on.