110V Electrical Question

/ 110V Electrical Question #31  
Ever since I bought this place I have had a problem with the 110 receptacles in my shed. The lights work, the welder gives me no problem.

The wires are run in conduit with a receptacle every 10' ... 6 on each side of the barn. I have never been able to use a saw, grinder ... not enough power, I can plug in a light or use my chain saw sharpener. (Circuit is 20 amp breaker)

I am getting ready for baby chicks, plugged in a 250 watt heat lamp, when I plug in the second 250 lamp they both become very dim.

Easy fix? I know a little about electricity ... what do ya'll recommend?

Testing for low voltage,, Start with the main panel in the barn,, Take the cover off put your meter on 600v ac check between each hot wire going into your main breaker to the neutral wire you should have around 120v on each,, Then plug in your 2- 250 watt lamps and test again,, If the voltage stays the same then the problem is not outside the panel.. Lets assume all is OK there,, Unplug the 2 lights and check the voltage coming out of your 120 breakers,, " I assume you have more than one? " See if the voltage is still 120v between the breakers and your neutral .. then plug in your 2 lights and check the breakers again...

Start with that and let us know what you find,,

/ 110V Electrical Question #32  
How about this. If you plug your 2-250 watt heat lamps into the first receptacle, and they dim, your problem is in that outlet, the panel, or the service, not in one of the other outlets. That would cut troubleshooting down a bit.

A loose neutral in the panel would be my first guess, closely followed by an improper breaker connection (either loose wire, wrong brand of breaker for the panel, or bad connection between the breaker and bus.

HR3 is also on the right track to determine if the problem is on your side or the power company's side.

/ 110V Electrical Question #33  
One more easy troubleshoot, if you have more than 1 single pole breaker (I assume you do since you said the lights work fine), swap the hot wires from the "good" and "suspect" breakers (turn off the main first). This would tell you if it was the breaker or the neutral.

If you can't get it fixed, please call an electrician. It sounds relatively simple, and shouldn't take more than a few minutes to find and fix (though most electricians have a minimum charge).

/ 110V Electrical Question #34  
A 250W bulb is slightly less than 2.5 amps. Two would be less than 5 amps total. Unless there is something else drawing the current at the same time, this is not much current for almost any circuit. I think I'd wire a receptacle into the breaker box and put an extension cord right there to see if two bulbs dimmed/loaded the circuit. If not, it's a poor connection somewhere between the breaker box and your receptacle where you are plugging in the lamps as mmurphy suggested.

Another problem might be a faulty breaker. By wiring the receptacle into the breaker box temporarily, you'll be able to eliminate this as the problem.

/ 110V Electrical Question
Here are a couple shots of the panel with the cover off ... A couple things, there is no main breaker, which I assume is rather dangerous!!

The top 50 amp goes to my welder (Red & Black) the next is 30 amps for the shop lights (Black) The next space is empty, the next is a 20 amp double with the top of that for the receptacles (Black wire) the other half has no wire. The Bottom is my well (Black and White)

The meter is directly behind the panel on the ouside wall.

A couple things I tried today ... switched wire number 4 (receptacles) to the 30 amp breaker (#3) made no difference in the power to the receptacles the skill saw still started out under power and slowly gained to full speed. The two 250 watt heat lamps still reacted the same, one bright and when the second is plugged in they both go dim.

My shop lights are flouresent with recepatacles on the overhead beams, so I put that wire back in and plugged a saw into the light recep and still lack of power to the saw.

(BTW ... the loose wires laying in the bottom of the box are for an old 220 plug)

Attachments

• 100_6190.JPG
    100_6190.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_6193.JPG
    100_6193.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 128
A 250W bulb is slightly less than 2.5 amps. Two would be less than 5 amps total. Unless there is something else drawing the current at the same time, this is not much current for almost any circuit. I think I'd wire a receptacle into the breaker box and put an extension cord right there to see if two bulbs dimmed/loaded the circuit. If not, it's a poor connection somewhere between the breaker box and your receptacle where you are plugging in the lamps as mmurphy suggested.

Another problem might be a faulty breaker. By wiring the receptacle into the breaker box temporarily, you'll be able to eliminate this as the problem.

Thats what I am heading out to do now ... will advise.

Even outside below meter ?

So,,,,,what voltage readings did you get ?

Thats correct ... not even outside. Couldn't fiqure that darn meter out, its a digital one and so many different setting's. Was also a little intimidated to be sticking those ends in places I wasn't sure I should be sticking them!!!