TBN Firefighters

/ TBN Firefighters #31  
Let us know how things progress! Curious minds want to know :D

In our district you have to be 18. They'll take you in academy if you will be 18 at graduation. Our local multi district academy trains to about 70% of FF1 level; rest is done at home station training.

Here, EMT is a semester class at the junior college. It is a 5 unit class, compared typical 3 unit English, Math etc.

Go for it!

Also, at this VFD, you must be an EMT as well as a FF. So I will need to get certified in everything, I hear they supply the classes, but if not, they will let me know then. So I will keep you informed and as up to date as I am.

Kyle

/ TBN Firefighters #32  
Tonight is my last night of our three month long transition course as a district. The new EMT training schedule will be nice. After this one transition course we'll be able to re-certifiy every three years and use our regular monthly trainings. There will be no more need for a 24 hour refresher course every cycle.

I like the new curriculum. There's a lot more of the why.

/ TBN Firefighters
Well, I had that meeting. Went really well. Got all my paperwork done, now later today alls I gotta do is get my fingerprints done and turn then in with all the other paperwork. After today, they will send for my FF ID. It could take anywhere from a couple weeks to a few months. In this time I will start attending meetings, drills, training, and taking tests. This whole process is moving very smoothly. Thanks again to everyones support!

Kyle

/ TBN Firefighters #34  
Some of the best people in this world are in public safety occupations. While you travel the roads of your career (paid or volunteer) be sure to take the time to appreciate those working with you. Go to the station and keep your eyes and ears open. There will always be lessons to be learned. As the years go by, share your knowledge with the new members that follow your path. Enjoy the job and the people. I have enjoyed the ride since 1970 and it continues.:)

/ TBN Firefighters
Another update. Just got back from the firehouse. It was a member meeting, I got introduced to everyone and got to hang out with the responders, which are largely made up of people under 25. Also got to wash some apparatus. Will be going back later this week to help with some dinners, and parties in the hall, as well as some landscaping work. With that, I will begin to get into training and ridealongs. I still wanna thank everyone here for their support, and I will try to keep these updates less frequent, so I will let you know whenever something big happens.

Kyle

/ TBN Firefighters #36  
Another update. Just got back from the firehouse. It was a member meeting, I got introduced to everyone and got to hang out with the responders, which are largely made up of people under 25. Also got to wash some apparatus. Will be going back later this week to help with some dinners, and parties in the hall, as well as some landscaping work. With that, I will begin to get into training and ridealongs. I still wanna thank everyone here for their support, and I will try to keep these updates less frequent, so I will let you know whenever something big happens.

Kyle

Great! :thumbsup:

So are you an official member now?

/ TBN Firefighters #37  
I'm a little groggy this morning. We had a fire call last night at 6:00. Then I had an EMS call at midnight. There was a third call (fire call) this morning before 6:00 am. As I was lying in bed falling asleep at 2:00 am I kept thinking to myself, "I love being on the fire department."

Seriously. It's very rewarding and can be a lot of fun despite the inherent frustrations.

/ TBN Firefighters #38  
I'm a little groggy this morning. We had a fire call last night at 6:00. Then I had an EMS call at midnight. There was a third call (fire call) this morning before 6:00 am. As I was lying in bed falling asleep at 2:00 am I kept thinking to myself, "I love being on the fire department."

At 7 a.m. today we were dispatched on a full box alarm in the next town over. Dwelling fire with possible entrapment. Fire visible in the windows. Called in by a neighbor. Turned out the be the reflection of the sun rising...:confused3:

/ TBN Firefighters #39  
At 7 a.m. today we were dispatched on a full box alarm in the next town over. Dwelling fire with possible entrapment. Fire visible in the windows. Called in by a neighbor. Turned out the be the reflection of the sun rising...:confused3:

I've actually learned to really appreciate calls like that. I'd much rather show up on a hotdog roast that was called in by a cocerned neighbor than show up on a fully engulfed structure due to a chimney fire that someone thought they could handle on their own.

I primarily run EMS rather than fire. We have the same kind of thing. When I started out I always felt disappointed when I was toned out to a "I've fallen, and I can't get up" Call. Nowadays I really enjoy some of those calls. They're low stress. Everyone is happy when you're done, and you know that the outcome will likely be good.

/ TBN Firefighters
CompactTractorFan said:
Great! :thumbsup:

So are you an official member now?

I get voted in this coming Monday. There should be no problems with that. All the volunteers seem to like me and I have a good name in the community. And comes the process of my physical, waiting for my ID, beginning classes, etc.

Kyle