Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #121  
This is kind of a interesting link, its a race called the Spectre 341. I read about it in a Mopar Magizine where they took a 100% stock Dodge Challenger and raced it. Here is a link Spectre 341 Challenge | There are some interesting cars at the top of the list, some traditional sports cars, some not. My guess is the guy driving the Challenger was pretty skilled, and probably was the reason it finished high, but it beat out a lot of high dollar sports cars, many running DOT race tires.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #122  
The closest thing I had to a sports care was a 1978 Honda civic. I put a stroker kit in that 1200cc engine, pistons out of a gl1000 motorcycle, planed the head down, ported the head, and put a weber side draft on it, a Japanese header, and flex exhaust to keep the engine from breaking the exhaust system. I was trying to build a Corvette, but it was still only a Honda. It out ran a 300ZX once, and that shocked that heck out of him.

The second closest thing was a Plymouth Conquest. Sporty looking, but heavy.

The fastest thing I ever owned is my ST1100 motorcycle. Not fast by motorcycle standards, but still...I don't care about fast on a motorcycle. I like the ergos and the smoothness.

I have considered a hardtop convertible, such as a Mercedes. Also a Miata would be fine. I really don't much care what people think...girly car or not.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #123  
My 5-speed 2000 Mustang GT convertible. Only 260 HP; Heck my Nissan Titan has 305! Not formally a "sports car", IMO, but the back seat was too small for anybody over 3' tall. I made some mods:

- Replaced the rear wing with the larger wing from Roush Racing
- 18" Racing Hart C5 wheels
- "Halo" style headrests from an 1986 Mustang GT, recovered with matching fabric
- Roll bar
- Bassani Quiet Thunder exhaust system (with removable tip baffles :D)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 479
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 461
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?
I don't think there is going to be any agreement on the definition of sports car, but performance wise that M5 can run circles around the vast majority of 'sports cars' that cost the same or less.

beppington, I agree, I would not call a Mustang a sports car. Not sure what to call them. but, if you watch any racing you will see tons of Mustangs and Camaros, I think in the GT classes. I don't know how they do it with these live axle cars but they are out there mixing it up with the M3's and 911's. I can't remember which series it is, I think it is Grand-Am, but there is now a team with 370Zs. They seem to be moving up too.

My Infiniti is essentially a slightly stretched 350Z with a weight problem.

And I don't know that we should obsess about what is and what isn't a sports car. By some measures this is not a sports car:

thumbnail.aspx

Its a Ferrari 599 GTB.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #125  
I don't think there is going to be any agreement on the definition of sports car, but performance wise that M5 can run circles around the vast majority of 'sports cars' that cost the same or less.

beppington, I agree, I would not call a Mustang a sports car. Not sure what to call them. GTB.

Pony Car?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #126  
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #127  
I don't think there is going to be any agreement on the definition of sports car...

Probably not...Road & Track or Motor Trend had this same topic discussed many years ago and there wasn't consensus then either.

Heck, my last truck...a Nissan Frontier with the 3.5L twin cam V-6 and a 6 speed manual was faster then a lot of sports cars I've driven (in a straight line, at least) and had a nice throaty sound above 3000 RPM. Surely wasn't a "sports car" though.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #128  
If I ever was fortunate enough to win the lottery, I would love to have in our garage the following three sports cars. A 1965 Jaguar XKE --- 1963 Austin Healy 3000 --- 1970 Baracuda with a 426 HEMI. A buddy of mine in 1972 owned the 65 XKE, I owned a Healy 3000 in 1974 and another buddy had the Baracuda. I drove all three vehicles and I describe them as "mountain cars"-- they take curves and hug the road. Absolute thrill to drive and if I was ever lucky enough, I would give them to our grandchildren after our demise. Happy Tractoring. :tractor::tractor::cool2:

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #129  
If I ever was fortunate enough to win the lottery, I would love to have in our garage the following three sports cars. A 1965 Jaguar XKE --- 1963 Austin Healy 3000 --- 1970 Baracuda with a 426 HEMI. A buddy of mine in 1972 owned the 65 XKE, I owned a Healy 3000 in 1974 and another buddy had the Baracuda. I drove all three vehicles and I describe them as "mountain cars"-- they take curves and hug the road. Absolute thrill to drive and if I was ever lucky enough, I would give them to our grandchildren after our demise. Happy Tractoring. :tractor::tractor::cool2:

Been with all three, the Jag with the six was short on power but did handle same story on the Healey. The cuda had what the others needed for power to weight but didn't handle!

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #130  
Been with all three, the Jag with the six was short on power but did handle same story on the Healey. The cuda had what the others needed for power to weight but didn't handle!
My buddy's Jaguar was 12 cylinders. You could hardly hear the engine. It was so quiet I thought it had died on me one time, and I attempted to restart it and boy did that starter make some noise. Happy Tractoring.

Last edited: