Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #431  
Most definitely not car friendly anymore...

Attended several hearings in Sacramento and speaker after speaker tried to persuade the committed to impose more stringent requirements with some saying vintage vehicles should not be on the road at all...

I'm not that old... I am old enough to remember when wrenching on cars was common... my newest car is a 2002 and the next is a 1991 then the 1985... I'm hesitant with the older ones... they drive great and do a good job for me... the problem is they are just squeaking by right now on the emission test... all stock, no mods.

Thought a lot about moving to a more car friendly area... with 50+ vehicles of various sorts it would be a logistical nightmare just with registration issues...

If worse comes to worse... I may do what a friend has done... he became a Licensed Motor Vehicle Dealer

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #432  
Cars are fun for me, but the recent purchase of a 1026R is what I'm having a ball with! Pretty small outfit compared to most have here but loads of fun. Am getting deck, blower, FEL, tiller, and looking at a cab, estate rake, MCS, and a backhoe! Wife wanted a garden, tiller justified, have a lawn, deck justified, do my dad's house during the winter, blower justified, cold at that time of the year, cab justified, friend wants bank cut down, backhoe justified. Now if I could just get my wife to agree with my justifications ... figured I'd do the ask forgiveness thing instead of the permission thing. Sounds good to me ... right now ... we'll see how it works out though! ;-)

I'm with you, man. Love my 1026R and have most of the attachments you mentioned. I've found the MCS to be a bit cantankerous. You have to be careful not to overfill it or it throws a belt. Big grass it throws a belt. Wet grass it throws . . . well, you get the idea. The little indicator bubble on mine never worked. Removing and reinstalling it gets faster with practice. The backhoe is nice, though the subframe gets in the way with the hydraulic fittings; loosening the one for the mower deck, turning it and retightening so it's not jammed up against the backhoe subframe helps. Running the engine at lower rpm makes the backhoe less jerky. It's great for planting trees, digging shallow ditches for drainage pipes and such. The mid-mount mower has been challenging to remove and reinstall at times but I'm coming to terms with it. Wouldn't mind having a grooming mower to tow behind. Just got an iMatch hitch.

My business is with new cars but I find old cars more fun.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #433  
I'm really droolin' over that P-51. Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, glad you took it up! I spent about 2-1/2 hrs driving a T-6 a few years ago, but nothing compared to that Merlin V-12.
View attachment 319536

A T6 Texan, that's pretty neat. And I only got to RIDE in the P-51, though ONLY doesn't seem like the right word.

A collection of antique motorcycles sounds cool. My wife wants one for the living room. I married good!

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #434  
Pulled my convertible out today as a matter of fact: LOL

1063_4329803542110_489270185_n.jpg

969568_4329806462183_1964107951_n.jpg

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #435  
Pulled my convertible out today as a matter of fact: LOL

1063_4329803542110_489270185_n.jpg

969568_4329806462183_1964107951_n.jpg

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #436  
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #437  
Me too, but to each their own, besides, PA roads are not intended for sports cars.

Last edited:
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?
I'm not that old... I am old enough to remember when wrenching on cars was common...

You have to wonder if in 20 years an individual will be able to work on a current car at all. My 350Z has too many sensors to count or account for when making mods. There was an article in Motor Sport magazine about how current race cars will not only deteriorate and fall apart rapidly (carbon fiber degrades rapidly in UV light) but the engine and transmission technology is beyond all but the super wealthy. Vintage race cars and vintage racing are big right now but the current race cars may be unusable in not too many years.

That is part of the reason I bought a simple Kubota L4400 with geared tranny. Few specialized tools required and easy to work on.

On the other hand, when you get into tracking a modern car it is quite amazing what individuals can do with these high tech, ultra computerized cars. Work on your car at home via your laptop is already a reality. It may be the technical sophistication of the "shade tree" mechanic of the future will grow to meet the technical sophistication of the cars.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #440  
There was an article in Motor Sport magazine about how current race cars will not only deteriorate and fall apart rapidly (carbon fiber degrades rapidly in UV light) but the engine and transmission technology is beyond all but the super wealthy. Vintage race cars and vintage racing are big right now but the current race cars may be unusable in not too many years.

Impressed you're reading Motor Sport magazine!

Race cars newer than the mid-1970s are fast and sophisticated for most vintage racers, assuming we are talking about cars in the upper levels of the sport. Can-Am, for example: fast and expensive then, fast and expensive now. Same with Formula 1 cars from the mid-70s: It takes a lot of time and money to keep them tuned and running well. The cars from the '50s and early '60s are easier for most of us to own.