Air tools w/ small compressor?

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #31  
I would suggest you buy 1 with the torque specs you need for the lug nuts.You wouldn't want the lug nuts comming loose driving 70mph down the road.I've had this happen and it's not a good feeling

/ Air tools w/ small compressor?
I would suggest you buy 1 with the torque specs you need for the lug nuts.You wouldn't want the lug nuts comming loose driving 70mph down the road.I've had this happen and it's not a good feeling

Even worse at 120!

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #33  
i wouldn't use an impact to torque my nutz anyway...

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #34  
i wouldn't use an impact to torque my nutz anyway...

It's done every day at tire shops.If you have enough tq it's no problem. NASCAR uses impact guns on their lug nutz

/ Air tools w/ small compressor?
The problem is not too little torque. Most low end tire shops and garages over torque lug nuts. Its bad for the studs and it makes it so you (or your wife or daughter) can't get them off when they have a flat.

And there is a world of difference between a race car and a street car. Street car lug studs are generally cheap and weak. A set of 5 ARP race studs cost $35.

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #36  
The problem is not too little torque. Most low end tire shops and garages over torque lug nuts. Its bad for the studs and it makes it so you (or your wife or daughter) can't get them off when they have a flat.

And there is a world of difference between a race car and a street car. Street car lug studs are generally cheap and weak. A set of 5 ARP race studs cost $35.

I don't use 600+ on my personal vehicles. I click it down a notch. I use to use that much on my drag car.When my lug nuts came loose .I was using an old impact that I had for some time.Not sure of the specs.My air compressor would put out 175 psi and about 25 cfm @ 90 psi

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #37  

Also, you can get adapters for impact guns that cause the socket to slip at a specified torque. I reckon they have those on the impact guns at the races.

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #38  
I can see your problem though. If you don't have the compressor to run an air impact. A good electric 1 would probably serve you well.I've never owned an elcetric mod. so, I can't advise on a good 1 or a bad 1

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #39  

yep.. I don't want the studs on my road vehicle stretched.

the local tire place I normally use use a torque wrench when putting lugs on. no joke.

I know for a fact walmart tire does too, as a matter of fact I was getting 2 new fronts the other day, and someone came in for tires and they did not have lug torque data for him and refused to do any tire work. ( he was quite angry! )

that's why i won't use an impact for lugnuts. even with a torque slip socket..

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #40  
Also, you can get adapters for impact guns that cause the socket to slip at a specified torque. I reckon they have those on the impact guns at the races.

has to be a wear item.

I can send my torque wrench to be calibrated. i imagine those torque slip sockets don't get re ertified.. and with use they either have to get loose, or be binding up... I wouldn't use em on my vehicle...