Air tools w/ small compressor?

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #11  
i guess this needs a YMMV.

I run pretty much all harbor freight guns. I work on tractors.

havn't worn a gun out yet.

my 12yr old 1/2" impact IR clone takes off tractor lug nuts fine.

my 3/4 and 1" gun will either take a nut / bolt off/out or wring it off.

i used to only own a pancake compressor.. I did tire lugs with it.

it peters out fast.. but then the nut gets broke loose in about 5 bangs.. then it is a freewheel.

yes.. the compressors's gonna be running for each tire.

ideal? heck no.. :)

buy a 200-300$$ IMPACT GUN? Why.. he has a 44$ compressor.. that would be futile.. :)

wait till he gets a 600$ compressor to get that spendy air tool.. :)

People are so touchy these days.

I didn't say buy the most expensive one out there? At least I can't find it in my post. If he had a $600 air compressor, he probably wouldn't need an expensive impact gun.

I only stating that a cheap air gun wouldn't probably be the best buy for the money. A little better air gun will have a little better performance especially on the a pan-cake style air-compressor. Pan-cakes don't store much air, don't build up air pressure quickly and a real cheap tool will probably not be able to get the work done. On an air compressor with a larger tank, may not be as big of an issue (just in case, I am not recommending buying a new air compressor, I don't need anymore flaming today). I have bought cheap tools, and most of them end up in the garbage after a few uses. I have also bought name brand tools that would've ended up in the garbage too but were saved by their warranty.

But case in point, I have had two sub $100 air guns from Sears that literally tore themselves a part after a couple months of easy use (not that Sears sells the best tools, just my experience). I had another (well it lasted a couple of years) that would try to turn the bolt but before it started started turning the bolt it would be cycling back for the next impact, end result the bolt never moved. I thought the bolt was stuck, I was amazed when my breaker bar slipped out of my hand and the lug nut spun just from gravity but the impact gun wouldn't turn it!

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #12  
A super cheapie cambell 1/2 I've abused and treated like **** is over 10 years old and going strong. For the use stated go cheap with confidence, especially harbor freight where you can swap it out if you get a dud.

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #13  
One reason I am recomending a better air tool is I have a cheaper air impact, and it doesn't get the job done. I have a bigger air compressor, and even with the air turned up to 100 psi, it often won't get lug nuts loose. The better one I have works well and I think its a Chicago Pnuematics.

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #14  
I use this with air tools to do various tasks. For the Impact, I have no issues taking off rims for winter swap. You do have to wait sometimes on volume as it is small but for me it does the trick. Would I use this if I was doing this all of the time? Probably not......

Clarke Air AC2000B 6-gallon Bronco Air Compressor | Overstock.com

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #15  
A super cheapie cambell 1/2 I've abused and treated like **** is over 10 years old and going strong. For the use stated go cheap with confidence, especially harbor freight where you can swap it out if you get a dud.

Same here, the wrench came as a package with the 8 gallon Campbell compressor along with paint gun and a ratchet. Cheapest thing you ever saw, paid for itself in no time. That thing even managed to loosen up nuts on tractor tires lol

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #16  
People are so touchy these days.

I assume you are refering about yourself then. I'm not getting bent out of shape.. just relating an opinion and a few real world experiences.

A little better air gun will have a little better performance..... ....... a real cheap tool will probably not be able to get the work done....... .......I have bought cheap tools, and most of them end up in the garbage after a few uses. ..........I have also bought name brand tools that would've ended up in the garbage too but were saved by their warranty.........
But case in point, I have had two sub $100 air guns from Sears that literally tore themselves a part after a couple months of easy use

So far i see lots of conjecture and guessing about what a tool will or won't do.

all the OP has to do is read the side of the box for torque supplied and air used.

as for your sears that blew apart after a few trigger pulls? I guess that's a tick on the score card for the argument that higher price does not get you higher quality always.

I guess you had some bad experiences with the cheaper air tools you bought then threw away after a few uses.

I'm quite happy about mine. I've got a year of use almost on my 1" gun, and a few years on my 3/4, and at least 10+ on my cheap 1/2" and 3/8 drive. that 1/2 drive has a ton of 'miles' on it.... has served me well.

if any of them up to the 3/4 inch simply disappeared right now.. they have paid for themselves. the 1/2" alone may have paid for them all... a few times over. I watched and waited for sales, etc. have not paid over 100$ for any of my guns.. even the 1"er waited till it went on an advertised special and got it right. couldn't fully use it till i got a real compressor... the 3/4 I had worked over my 30g upright .. wasn't untill I bumped to a 60 that I could use the 1" though.

anyway.. that's why i added the YMMV tag on my post.

I've had fantastic results over a long period of time. you've had dismal results in realitively short periods ( high early failure rates ).

Statistically.. neither are correctly indicative of the actual products lifespan.. too small a sample population really.. )

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #17  
One reason I am recomending a better air tool is I have a cheaper air impact, and it doesn't get the job done. I have a bigger air compressor, and even with the air turned up to 100 psi, it often won't get lug nuts loose. The better one I have works well and I think its a Chicago Pnuematics.

if the better one is a CE.. it's a cheapy too.

remember.. you have to compair apples to apples.

if you have 2 cheap 1/2" guns and one is a 125ft# and the other is a 200ft# the 200ft# is a stronger tool.. no matter how much air you have.

due tot he vast availability of tools at places like harbor freight.. you may see both of those guns at the same price or only dollars apart.

that's why you have to read the boxes and compare.

I've bought tools with better specs CHEAPER that tools with lesser specs at harbor freight... you really DO have to read the package....

They sell a 1" air gun that actually performs less than a higher end 3/4" gun they have... the 1" gun is more $$ go figure..

/ Air tools w/ small compressor? #18  
What about the impact sockets you know I dont think I have a single USA made impact socket. There all imported all come from different places like Northern Tool, Homier, and HF. All seem to work fine but can break reducing adapters pretty regular. :)

/ Air tools w/ small compressor?
Well, I had to do the job today and since I could not decide which way to go I went the super cheap route:

2HLB2_AS01.JPG

With the currently available power source it will rarely over torque a lug nut. It requires no electricity or battery power. It does run out of air pretty fast but it cycles back again after a few minutes. A cold beer helps. ;)

Seriously though, I typically like good tools and when it is a tool I am likely to use a lot, then I get a good one. (Having said that, I have never had a quality problem with a Craftsman hand tool. I've mangled some by neglect/accident. Replaced for free. There is a Sears about 4 miles from my house. No waiting for the Mac or Snap-On truck.)

However, I agree with Soundguy in regard to tools that I use infrequently to do jobs that are neither delicate or precise. And with my Scottish heritage, nothing delights me more than finding a good tool for a small amount of money. So sometimes I do have to suffer through a dud or two in that quest.

My situation is this: In my current house I have no garage. I have a dungeon-like shop in my basement but all automotive work occurs in my driveway. I have a car that I take to the track so whenever I go I have to change wheels and brakes. I could get a larger compressor but I'm just not sure that would make sense because it would hardly be used for anything else. Plus, there will come a time when I may need to do this work at the track where electricity may or may not be available. That is why I am interested in a cordless impact wrench. I've heard similar stories about them too. Hard to tell what you are getting. But again, virtually all it would be used for is lug nuts/ wheel changes. Maybe occasionally work on gates or deer stands around my property.