Craigslist scam?

/ Craigslist scam? #11  
I had a guy call me with a New York phone number about a compost bin I had on Craigslist for $20. He kept emailing and calling about coming buy but we never could get together on a time. We finally did and he was legit, he bought it. I also had someone with a New York number buy a set of tire chains for a mower. You never know this guy could be legit even though he has a California number:confused3:

I had a "spoof" app on my old phone. You could punch in any number you wanted and it would look like you were calling from it.

/ Craigslist scam? #12  
How about agreeing to meet him at the local police/sherriff's office with the item at a time of your convenience?

Good luck, keep us informed.
I think this would be the best way to do it :thumbsup:

/ Craigslist scam? #13  
see what happens! but common sense will tell you when to stop!!

/ Craigslist scam? #14  
There are legit reasons why a phone and location may be very different. Some companies provide cellphones to employees. The phone and number could be from CA, but the employee works in NY, for example.

/ Craigslist scam? #15  
True.. and now with Google Voice, keeping your cell number when you move, internet phones, etc, its even more likely.. But still, why the original call from a landbased phone in CA then?

/ Craigslist scam? #16  
True.. and now with Google Voice, keeping your cell number when you move, internet phones, etc, its even more likely.. But still, why the original call from a landbased phone in CA then?

Remote employee visiting the home office for a few days?

/ Craigslist scam?
All right I'm going to call him back. If nothing else it will be a little fun.

/ Craigslist scam? #18  
Maybe he wants to rob you when he delivers the cash??? I'd meet him up the street, have a few friends with me and carry a gun.

Haha. Maybe. I always carry.

My first thought also.

keep-calm-and-carry.jpg

/ Craigslist scam? #19  
as stated, if it is a cell phone a person is using, it could be completly across country from where the number is listed,
I make it a practice when receiving inquiries and having left a tel# for me to call, to first find out where the number is from before calling, it can be easily done by using the Whitepages.com ( reverse number search ) sometimes I get luckey and it will even provide a name, if Both the number and name match up with the information provided in an inquiry I'll feel it is lagit and will reply, Many times I'll say something like I see your tell number comes up as a New York etc etc,, usually they'll say yeah! they got their cell phone service from while living in New York etc,etc, and never bother to change it to a local service after moving here,

Really though.... I don't know of a law which requires people to change their cell phone provider to a local provider when moving to another state, But with so many scams going on these days I'm sure such a law could be in our future,

/ Craigslist scam?
as stated, if it is a cell phone a person is using, it could be completly across country from where the number is listed...

Understood, but he CALLED from a verifiable landline in LA.

I have tried calling him three times now and the call simply will not connect. I think it's due to my wifi being silly though and I'm surely not calling him on my real phone number.