Craigslist scam?

/ Craigslist scam? #41  
Last exchange I had on CL, neither mine nor theirs was shown.. It went through a CL server.

/ Craigslist scam? #43  
craiglist is a great service, if you use your head (both buying and selling). if something sees fishy it probably is. my biggest fear (i've read about it) is the cash and carry deal where you meet in a parking lots and someone mugs/robs you before/after (depending on if you are buying/selling) you do the deal. so don't go alone. have sold and bought quite a bit on CL. one of my tenets found me on CL

/ Craigslist scam? #44  
My latest escapades with Craigslist was a guy having a Yamaha Terrapro, finish mower FM48 and a snow push plow. He sent me some not very clear photos, obviously taken with a phone. Color was off. He talked a good talk. Said it just needed a carb rebuild which I've done one already. So I hook up the trailer and head to West Virginia from Nashville. It"s about 780 miles round trip. Three tanks of gas (24 gallon tank) i pull up to his house and the ATV. Is sitting in the backyard. Have you ever seen these car shows where they pull a car out of a barn. The wheels buried in the dirt, rust covered and plastic deterioration badly. Well that's what I was presented as a really good shape Terrapro. The ole. Saying "one mans treasure is another mans junk" vice versa. I didn't have the heart to tell him was a piece of crap. I touched the rear muffler and it was wired up and the whole end was rusted that you could twist it off. I simply told my there's no way I paid what he's asking. He said his neighbor wanted to buy it.. I was thinking "dumb and dumber" a quick evaluation shows the bike would need at least a half dozen obsolete major parts. Always request clear high resolution pictures so you can judge whether it's worth the drive. In my case. i put too much trust in the guy to make an honest evaluation. The old saying. "Burn me once shame on you. Burn my twice, shame on me." I walked away. Lesson learned.

/ Craigslist scam? #45  
craiglist is a great service, if you use your head (both buying and selling). if something sees fishy it probably is. my biggest fear (i've read about it) is the cash and carry deal where you meet in a parking lots and someone mugs/robs you before/after (depending on if you are buying/selling) you do the deal. so don't go alone. have sold and bought quite a bit on CL. one of my tenets found me on CL
Terry, one of the most fell for scams on Craigslist is ipads. People buy the empty boxes off ebay. They acquire enough to fill a case. They have one real one. The rest are weighted the same and shrink wrapped. They won't. Let you open the box unless you buy it. The trick is to open it right there in thier presence, then hand them the money. Chances are they won't do it because it would expose their scam.

/ Craigslist scam? #46  
Terry, one of the most fell for scams on Craigslist is ipads. People buy the empty boxes off ebay. They acquire enough to fill a case. They have one real one. The rest are weighted the same and shrink wrapped. They won't. Let you open the box unless you buy it. The trick is to open it right there in thier presence, then hand them the money. Chances are they won't do it because it would expose their scam.
Bought a new-in-box KitchenAid mixer for the wife. Met them in a parking lot that was mutually convenient and handed over the cash, but then opened the box to make sure it was all there for just that reason (it was and it was a well received present).

Aaron Z

/ Craigslist scam? #47  
My latest escapades with Craigslist was a guy having a Yamaha Terrapro, finish mower FM48 and a snow push plow. He sent me some not very clear photos, obviously taken with a phone. Color was off. He talked a good talk. Said it just needed a carb rebuild which I've done one already. So I hook up the trailer and head to West Virginia from Nashville. It"s about 780 miles round trip. Three tanks of gas (24 gallon tank) i pull up to his house and the ATV. Is sitting in the backyard. Have you ever seen these car shows where they pull a car out of a barn. The wheels buried in the dirt, rust covered and plastic deterioration badly. Well that's what I was presented as a really good shape Terrapro. The ole. Saying "one mans treasure is another mans junk" vice versa. I didn't have the heart to tell him was a piece of crap. I touched the rear muffler and it was wired up and the whole end was rusted that you could twist it off. I simply told my there's no way I paid what he's asking. He said his neighbor wanted to buy it.. I was thinking "dumb and dumber" a quick evaluation shows the bike would need at least a half dozen obsolete major parts. Always request clear high resolution pictures so you can judge whether it's worth the drive. In my case. i put too much trust in the guy to make an honest evaluation. The old saying. "Burn me once shame on you. Burn my twice, shame on me." I walked away. Lesson learned.

I drove 5 hrs once to Ohio to look at a RV that appeared in nice shape, but needed the 'old tlc' inside.. When I got there, the thing was a POS with cracked fiberglass sides, missing genset, wouldnt start, looked like dogs lived in it, etc.. Turns out the pictures he sent me was the ones he took when he bought it... I about kicked his teeth in.

/ Craigslist scam?
Op here, Clarence was supposed to call me back on Friday but failed to do so. I wonder if I'll hear from him today? I'm not holding my breath.

/ Craigslist scam? #49  
Op here, Clarence was supposed to call me back on Friday but failed to do so. I wonder if I'll hear from him today? I'm not holding my breath.
After reading this thread I would think it would be doubtful he calls any of us here. If I where him I know I wouldn't. -kid

/ Craigslist scam?
So... If he doesn't call will that prove it was all BS? :laughing: