Vehicle Lifts

/ Vehicle Lifts #11  
I put a Greg Smith 4 post lift in my home shop a while back. It's rated to hold 14,000lbs. It's been great and I use it on a regular basis. There are times that a 2 post would be nice and I went back and forth when deciding which style to buy. In the end I think this was the correct choice. I've put my tractors on it as well as my small dozer. These would not fit on a 2 post very well. No matter what you get you'll enjoy getting off of the floor!

IMG_0765.JPG

/ Vehicle Lifts #12  
Two friends have the drive on style vehicle lifts and after seeing how nice they are to use I would recommend them in a heartbeat. They're nice to use since you have a built in bench to set your tools & parts on while you work on your vehicle plus they serve as a nice work bench when you don't have a vehicle on them. You also don't need to get down on the floor to position your lift pads properly. The one friend uses his commercially and I when I drop by his shop I often see vehicles with bent up underbodies from improperly positioned lift pads.

/ Vehicle Lifts
I thought about a 4 post then, thought if I needed to rotate my tires, or work on brakes, have the wheels off for any reason, I would still have to jack the vehicle up. For this reason, I went with 2 post

/ Vehicle Lifts #14  
The 4 posts are nice for some operations as are the 2 posts

virtually no difference for removing a transmission on a truck

but get into front sub frame vehicles- for bottom removal of an engine and cradle

or wanting to do a frame off restoration of a muscle car, chose the 2 post.

For lifting a tractor 4 post all the way.

Gee wish I had the room and could afford 1 of each...:D

/ Vehicle Lifts #15  
I thought about a 4 post then, thought if I needed to rotate my tires, or work on brakes, have the wheels off for any reason, I would still have to jack the vehicle up. For this reason, I went with 2 post

My 4 post also has 2 air over hydraulic jacks that run on the inside rails of the lift. You position those anywhere you want (under an axle) and lift the vehicle up in order to take tires off, work on wheel bearings, brakes, etc.

/ Vehicle Lifts #16  
Don’t some 2 posts have wheel chocks that attach to the lift arms so you can lift by the wheels? Probably limited to a pretty short wheel base though.

/ Vehicle Lifts #17  
I have had a Challenger 9000 two post for 17 years now and have not had any issues at all, I also have the 2 foot height extension for taller profile vehicles.

/ Vehicle Lifts #18  
IMAG0236.jpg
Be lost without our two post lift. Went to do brake lines, then found rusted trany cooler lines and power steering lines and before I new it, we were lifting the cab off.

/ Vehicle Lifts #19  
I'm looking into a set of the portable frame lifts. They are slow and you can't stand up underneath them but they are great for rotating tires, brake work etc. I have a track car that needs a lot of that sort of maintenance and I do not have a garage. I could even take these to the track with me.

/ Vehicle Lifts #20  
I had been looking at 2 post lifts at Greg Smith equipment. I bought a tire changer from them several yrs ago and have had no problems with it. Of course I'm not a commercial shop, so it will most likely serve me for many yrs.

Having said that. I was talking to a guy about 2 months ago, that installs lifts about installing a Greg Smith 10K 2 post lift. He said if I buy the lift,he would install (less electrical) for $450.00

Well, yesterday this same guy calls and tells me that he is removing a 2 yr old 10K Rotary brand 2 post lift from a dealership and ask if I'm interested. I ask how much and he says $1900.00 installed (without electrical. He says it works great. That some dealerships change their equipment out from time to time.
I told him I'll take it. He says he is going to remove it this week and will try to install it for me sometime this week.
I told him I'm not paying until I see it lift my Dodge Ram 2500 into the air. He said that was fine with him.

It's good to know Rotary is one of the better lifts

I consider Rotary the finest. Personal opinion there.

I have a drive on Forward brand 12K in my shop that I bought just like you got yours. I paid $400. Installed it myself.

Once you've had a hoist there's no going back. My creeper gets very limited use.