Texan's view of the world

/ Texan's view of the world #11  
Re: Texan\'s view of the world

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( been away from TBN too long...
)</font>

Welcome back, Bill! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You are right, I thought that map was pretty teensy for how we look at things. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Of course the real things about Texans that are boundless are our reputation and our ego. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif But then again, we also have pretty big hearts to balance that all out too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Texan's view of the world #12  

jinman

I thought all you Texans would enjoy this Aussie site about big things. Lot of similarities between you two, hmmm, could Australia and Texas have been connected at one time in the past? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Big Things

/ Texan's view of the world #13  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( jinman

I thought all you Texans would enjoy this Aussie site about big things. Lot of similarities between you two, hmmm, could Australia and Texas have been connected at one time in the past? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Big Things )</font>

I think they were.

/ Texan's view of the world #14  

Now I don't mean to start a battle here but i do have a question. I have noticed this for quite a few years, especially when i was in the navy.
Why is it that everyone from Texas thinks it is the greatest place in the world? I'm sure it is a fine place to live but it seems like every texan has to broadcast to the world how great it is.
I'm sure most everyone here loves the state they live in, if not they would probably move. But I don't ever hear Iowans declaring their state as the superior state. I'm sure they like it there however.
I actually have been to texas and to be honest it seemed like a fine place but nothing extra special. If you ask me, and this is just my opinion, Alaska is the most beautiful state. And BTW, bigger than texas.
SO why do texans fell obligated to remind everyone else that their state is, in their eyes, the greatest place on earth?

I'm sure i am in for a whoopin' now huh? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Texan's view of the world #15  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Now I don't mean to start a battle here )</font>

Neither did Davie Crockett..............

Why is it I feel a brawl coming on? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Texan's view of the world #16  

I happen to think that your part of the area is one of the best places to live if you liked outdoor activities.

Used to live in Bruceton Mills, W.V (the trailer behind the post office), heck, Upper Yough, Cheat, and all the creeks galore from Morgantown down to Parsons, and only three hours away from the Gauley.

Heck, you could go skiing and paddling the same day (and some great bike/hiking areas to boot).

Although,I could never figure out why W.V hasn't annexed (sp?) everything west of Cumberland, and in return, Maryland gets Martinsville and everything east /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Off the subject and not answering your question, apologies, just hadn't seen Garrett county in a while.

/ Texan's view of the world #17  

Bruceton ! No kidding. I am working in Hazelton ! As you probably know they built a federal Prison here and i work in the powerhouse. I am actually from frostburg Md.

/ Texan's view of the world #18  

Scesnick- nothing wrong with Texans or anyone being proud of where they are from and from which state. When I was working in the state of Maine, folks there had a similar attitude. They were always pointing out to me the "number 1" things that Maine was in the country etc. I think its pretty cool. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PS Maryland is 12.4K sq miles. It makes me wonder how much of Texas you actually saw since it is 21.7 times bigger then Md. I know where I live I have yet to see so much of this state. The geography is so diverse with few roads getting you to so many of the incredible sites that most folks never will short of photos. I know that really applies to Alaska and I am sure Texas as well. Probably not as much though to Maryland eh? I did visit Washinton DC, an incredible place to visit but I did find out that contrary to what the folks back there think, it is not only NOT the center of the universe, folks out West just don't place the importance on it like the media does... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I always thought Maryland was bigger then it was until I went here: Maryland

Alaska is 2.4 times the size of Texas (656.4K sq miles vs 268.6K sq miles). My Dad was from Texas and mentioned that when Alaska became a state, Texans were very irritated that their state became number two in size and by such a huge amount. It was not that long ago that Texas had a greater population then California.

/ Texan's view of the world #19  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Of course, the real things about Texans that are boundless are our reputation and our ego. )</font>

It's as simple as my statement; don't over-analyze us. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I once had a girlfriend from PA who could not believe how the state flag was displayed almost as often as the U.S. flag. I would guess that no other state sells as many copies of it's state flag as Texas does.

I do love Texas, but I love it when others love their states too. I think everyone should. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Texan's view of the world #20  

It's one of those things you just can't explain. You just have grow up as one. You are right in that TX is certainly not the prettiest state or the largest, but that is not what it is all about. It's just an attitude that goes all the way back to when they were called Texicans. We fly the flag everwhere, wear caps and clothing with it, and are proud of our Texas accent. I think most people are proud of their state. They just don't show it the way we do.