Texan's view of the world

/ Texan's view of the world #41  
Re: Texan\'s view of the world

<font color="blue">Yeah but SF cancels some of that out, and Hollywood doesn't help either. </font>

San Francisco is as unique a city as I can imagine. There are still a few "native" folks there but I would venture to say, most folks that live there came from some other state namely New York, Massassachuets and Pennslyvania.

/ Texan's view of the world #42  

<font color="blue">Actually, Alaska isn't in the United States, it's an annexiation, kind of like California.
</font>

Just for the record Texas was annexed. I learned that from the lousy education system they have in California.

/ Texan's view of the world #43  

You are correct!

On February 28, 1845, the U.S. Congress passed a bill that would authorize the United States to annex the Republic of Texas and on March 1 U.S. President James K. Polk signed the bill. The legislation set the date for annexation for December 29 of the same year. On October 13 of the same year, a majority of voters in the Republic approved a proposed constitution that was later accepted by the US Congress, making Texas a U.S. state on the same day annexation took effect (therefore bypassing a territorial phase).

One of the primary motivations for annexation was that the Texas government had incurred huge debts which the United States agreed to assume upon annexation. In 1850, in return for this assumption of debt, a large portion of Texas-claimed territory, now parts of Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Wyoming, was ceded to the Federal government.

Hmm, kind of sounds like Texas sold some land. LOL

Anyway, along about February 1, 1861, Texas seceded from the Federal Union following a 171 to 6 vote by the Secession Convention and then on March 30, 1870, the US Congress readmitted Texas back into the Union.

The annexation resolution has been the topic of some incorrect historical beliefs—chiefly, that the resolution was a treaty between sovereign states, and granted Texas the explicit right to secede from the Union. This was a right argued by some to be implicitly held by all states at the time, and until the conclusion of the Civil War.

However, no such right was explicitly enumerated in the resolution. That having been said, the resolution did include two unique provisions: first, it gave the new state of Texas the right to divide itself into as many as five states with approval of its legislature. This would serve to increase Texas' representation in the United States Senate.

Contrary to popular belief, Texas does NOT retain this right today.

Second, Texas did not have to surrender its public lands to the federal government. While Texas did cede all territory outside of its current area to the federal government in 1850, it did not cede any public lands within its current boundaries.

This means that generally, the only lands owned by the federal government within Texas have actually been purchased by the government.

Source: Lousy education I received from the Internet. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Texan's view of the world #44  

<font color="blue"> Source: Lousy education I received from the Internet.
</font>

Oh yes, the internet has some truly wonderful value. Have you tried Google Earth View. Amazing!

/ Texan's view of the world #45  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( * The land area of Texas is larger than all of New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois combined. It extends 801 miles from north to south and 773 miles from east to west.
)</font>

Maybe it's just word usage, but Illinois is not part of New England nor is Illinois adjacent to Ohio. Indiana is the state that is on the eastern border and Ohio is on the eastern side of Indiana. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Texan's view of the world #46  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Source: Lousy education I received from the Internet. </font> Oh yes, the internet has some truly wonderful value. Have you tried Google Earth View. Amazing! )</font>

I downloaded the program last night on one of my desktops and notebooks. Absolutely amazing. Is this the same program that will allow you to see what's on the other side of where you are if you were to drill a hole through the earth? I haven't had the time to fully explore all its functions.

/ Texan's view of the world #47  

<font color="blue"> ( Maybe it's just word usage, but Illinois is not part of New England nor is Illinois adjacent to Ohio. ) </font>

The statement you were referring to never claimed it was part of New England or that Illinois bordered Ohio. It was combining all those states' (plus New England) land size and saying the total is less than Texas.

Not sure though why a state's land size has anything to do with how good it is. I've been to Texas, which is much larger than Maryland and wasn't impressed. Maybe Texans figure if everyone here says how great it is, other's may believe us.

/ Texan's view of the world #48  

<font color="blue"> Not sure though why a state's land size has anything to do with how good it is. I've been to Texas, which is much larger than Maryland and wasn't impressed. Maybe Texas figures if everyone here says how great it is, other's may believe us. </font>

Yeah, I know what you mean. The Sahara is very big, dwarfs Texas, but I would think it would have to be less desireable to live in then Texas, I could be wrong.

/ Texan's view of the world #49  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( * The land area of Texas is larger than all of New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois combined. It extends 801 miles from north to south and 773 miles from east to west.
)</font>

Maybe it's just word usage, but Illinois is not part of New England nor is Illinois adjacent to Ohio. Indiana is the state that is on the eastern border and Ohio is on the eastern side of Indiana. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
)</font>

Okay, lets read the statement again shall we...

First off, you see the commas? Well, they are used to divide the sentence.

It is New England, (which would be the states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.) Then, New York, (the state, not the city) Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois combined. (which means together) Of course I could have said Idaho, but we need the potatoes for the T Bones. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="black"> </font>

/ Texan's view of the world #50  

Oh, com'on guys, haven't you ever heard that it isn't the size that counts? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="red"> </font>

(You don't really believe that do you? LOL