Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup?

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #41  
our 05 chevy 2500HD gets a lousy 12 miles-per-gallon, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but it handle and huals so much better than our 02 half-ton use to it's worth the extra money. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( our 05 chevy 2500HD gets a lousy 12 miles-per-gallon, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but it handle and huals so much better than our 02 half-ton use to it's worth the extra money. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

I computed the extra cost of a 2500HD at 12mpg over the 16mpg I get on average in the 1500 and it came to an extra $560 per year based on $2.50 a gallon. In the overall scheme of things that doesn't seem like much of a difference.

On the other hand, GEICO is my insurance carrier and they will not insure a 3/4 ton pickup. Nothing over 2000# carrying capacity. So that means I'd have to pay more somewhere else. But after test driving them both overnight there is nothing in the Z71 half ton that is so much better that I'd trade in my current pickup and part with that kind of cash to go new. The 2500HD, however, is another story! If I could afford the cash plus trade I'd go for it in a heartbeat! Now there's a truck!

Pete

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #43  
Pete: Does this mean that our ability to fanticize over your new truck is over? Here I was thinking about how you could get a 4x4 1 ton crew cab dually, extend the frame to install a tag axle with duals, and extend the box to match, get a monster diesel engine with at least a six speed tranny, maybe even with a 3 speed splitter, and you would have a real hauler. But I guess I'll have to save that dream for another occaision. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Pete: Does this mean that our ability to fanticize over your new truck is over? Here I was thinking about how you could get a 4x4 1 ton crew cab dually, extend the frame to install a tag axle with duals, and extend the box to match, get a monster diesel engine with at least a six speed tranny, maybe even with a 3 speed splitter, and you would have a real hauler. But I guess I'll have to save that dream for another occaision. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Yeah, 'fraid so. The wife reminded me I got a new tractor last year...and all she got was sick. So every bit of silver goes into the piggy bank and every charge goes on my GM card until the numbers line up and I can get my 2500HD...or whatever they call them by the time I save up enough.

Pete

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #45  
[quoteSo every bit of silver goes into the piggy bank and every charge goes on my GM card until the numbers line up and I can get my 2500HD...or whatever they call them by the time I save up enough.

Pete )</font>

There you go, wait a little longer and get what you really want.. Good decision I think..

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #46  
I'd go for the 2500 or even 3500 non dually if I was in your situation, which I was.

I have a Chevy 1500 97' with a plow that we used for plowing our parking lot for a couple years. The thing just couldn't handle it. We were constantly replacing U-joints and various other things. After about every 8 storms it would be in the shop with a 1500dollar repair bill. Although we did buy it used so I do not know how it was treated before. Also one of our employees who would plow some of the storms was not the sharpest tool in the shed and didn't understand the concept of "slowing down a bit before you go into the pile of snow at the end of the lot and raising the plow so the snow stacks". Fortunitaly hes not at our company any longer. And with our new plow truck I'm the only one who drives it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so I know its treated right.

We bought a GMC 3500 diesel with a boss plow and reg. cab. Its great and gets any job I have to do done with ease. I was debating the 2500HD or the 3500 and for the extra 1000$ or so i went with the 3500.

I didn't like how low the front went with the plow on, or how low the rear went hauling dirt. So I installed "timbrens". They're these solid rubber "helper springs" that look like air bags but they're not that are bolted onto the frame and when the truck has a load on it, the suspension will lower a couple inches then hit the timbrens and gives a lot of extra hauling capacity. This might also be an option for you.

Heres the website for the timbrens http://www.timbren.com

P.S. I'D GO FOR THE CHEVY/GMC

Find
On
Road
Dead

Fix
Or
Replace
Daily

lol sorry.... i just had to /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #47  
I have a dodge, but I'll still post it:
Died
On
Donnor (Donner Summit on I-80, n. Calif
Going
East

I remember part of Chevrolet...

Cheap
Heap
Every
Valve

I can't remember the rest. They've all been around for year though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Colin -- I have Timbrens on my 1500 fore and aft...and am sold on them! So having to replace your U-joints often is a sign the truck is being used too hard???

I've been replacing my U-joints every 10-12,000 miles!

Pete

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #49  
Pete:

Have you tried a different supplier for U joints?

Egon

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #50  
Wow, I generally replace mine every...............Well, 150k and counting on my Fords..... That is of course unless I'm 4wheeling and doing things I shouldnt...

Have you tried solid joints (without greese fittings)? They are much stronger..