Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup?

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #11  
Well, being a southern guy, one thing stood out to me..

Are you considering buying a "new" truck to plow snow??? This is just something I cannot fathom..

It sounds like you use the truck for normal use with occasional "do what you gota do" duties, but deep down you'd like a new truck..

A trailer is by far the more economical avenue, but brakes are a must.. If ,on the other hand,youd like a new truck with a few more amenities("for the dogs" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) then I would look at a 3/4 ton for all the reasons Eddie and a couple others mentioned.. A 1/2ton wouldnt be in the running unless it was a very ocasional light duty farm truck or strictly a grocery getter/commuter..

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #12  
HGM:

grocery getter

Been thinking that in Pete's case just bringing home grolceries for the dogs may be quite a load! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #13  
Not sure where in VT you are, if your in the steep mountains, I personally wouldn't be pulling a trailer with a half ton, that kind of weight, even if both trailer axles have brakes. We have some 10% and steeper grades in this section of CT, and with a Dodge HD2500 diesel and six speed trans, I can pull my L 48, which in its self, is pretty heavy. I have no problem pulling these hills. I do have a problem braking though.. Have to be a half mile ahead of yourself every time I'm hooked to the trailer,, Just another angle to think about,.

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup?
Greg, you kinda hit the nail on the head. The truck doesn't see a lot of use. Commute 12 miles twice a week when the wife needs the car. Plow snow on average of 3x a week from November thru April, but only around my property and our 1/2 mile dirt road. The plow is only mounted when in use.

It would be really nice to have an extended cab for the dogs and groceries, etc. Right now, if the wife is with me and we need to pick up some groceries or hardward or lumber it has to go in the back and get wet. And it's a choice of wife or dogs with a regular cab. My personal belief is that dogs and trucks go together better than wives and trucks, which gets me in trouble now and then. Power mirrors and windows would be nice so it doesn't take five minutes to get everything reset after the wife drives.

A half ton extended cab with the same engine would probably do me fine, but Chevy says you can't mount a plow on an XC unless you bump up to 3/4 ton.

I hear all you guys about getting a trailer. I guess my concern there is I'd want a really nice double-axle trailer capable of handling serious loads...and then I'd want to haul my tractor or the mini excavator my friend across the valley says I could use any time...but my half ton wouldn't be up to the task and I'd be right back to the starting point.

Ayah! Decisions! Pete

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #15  
Clearly you need a 3/4 ton and a trailer. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #16  
My 1/2 ton 1993 Chevy work truck 6 cyclinder,I have a 16 ft trailer and hauled 120 bales of hay,I have a 16 ft Moritz stock trailer I have hauled lots of loads in the hills . If I was pulling loads like this all the time I would go for the 3/4 or 1 ton,but with what you are talking about an occasional pull I think the trailer would be a good option unless of course you really want a heavier truck.

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #17  
Pete,
Unless I'm way off base, I get the feeling deep down you really want a new truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Here's some of what you said about it,
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It would be really nice to have an extended cab for the dogs and groceries, etc)</font>
Then this part,
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Power mirrors and windows would be nice so it doesn't take five minutes to get everything reset after the wife drives.)</font>
And finally this,
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I guess my concern there is I'd want a really nice double-axle trailer capable of handling serious loads...and then I'd want to haul my tractor or the mini excavator my friend across the valley says I could use any time...but my half ton wouldn't be up to the task and I'd be right back to the starting point.)</font>

All good enough reasons to look at upgrading to a HD truck. However, your 1/2 ton has served your needs so far and there is this to consider. I have a big family and always bought Suburbans for years so we could have enough room for all the kids. As the years went by and the kids got older, some moved out, we were still buying Suburbans. For what? I started thinking ...rarely do we have more than 3 people and I'm driving this huge vehicle around.

I bought it based on using it for 1 or 2 times a year rather than of our daily use of it.

Worse, it became a convenient "borrow car" when their car didn't fit. Now we have only the old Blazer (which I'll never get rid of) and a Honda for running around. My opinion on your original post is to stick with the vehicle that suits your daily needs instead of getting one for occassional ones. Think what it will do to your pocket book if that's a concern.

Then again, a new truck sure would be nice. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #18  
Well, I'm of the inclination now that you might be able to sell the truck you curently have for a fair price while its still in good shape.. Then you could buy a decent used super cab 3/4 ton for a reasonable price.. I'm a diesel kinda guy, but in your case, you could even save more money by choosing a gas burner(since its limited use).. This would be a win win as you would have more room for the dogs, extra towing capacity, and a new(to you) truck.. Downside for me would be that the wife would be able to go too /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif....

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup?
Having thought about this a spell, I think deep down I want a new truck for very personal reasons. The fact that it had to be big and red was a major clue. Tetley, my big red dog, who used to love riding with me, passed away last August and I'm still feeling the loss very much. I named my new tractor Tetters, but it really doesn't fit. Tetley didn't care for tractors. But he sure loved trucks. So a big red truck named Tetters would let me stay connected in a small way.

Pete

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #20  
So I think here is what you need.....but red instead of white. One ton dually, ext.cab, long bed, and a 24' goose neck. And then all of the other options....PW,PL,PM,duramax diesel, allison auto, leather is nice to......Let us know when you bring the new one home. They ride great, good fuel economy, can haul pretty much anything, lots of room for everyone and everything. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 831827-171.jpg
    831827-171.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 188