Why Run?

/ Why Run? #21  
Deerlope said:
Regardless of what my opinion is the facts remain that a family has been torn apart and a young trooper has to live with this the rest of his life. Its a hard thing to put behind you, having taken someone's life to save you own. That officer will have stress problems the rest of his life. May God look after both of them.

You're most likely right. You know a large percentage of the officers who shoot someone resign not long after that. And personality changes are common. I never had any doubt about my ability to shoot if I had to, but thankfully, never had to find out for sure. However, one of my top young field training officers had to shoot and kill a man one night. Plenty of witnesses, including the dead man's wife, who all agreed that the officer had no choice; it was his life or the other man's. That young officer stayed on the department, even was, a few years later, promoted to the rank of sergeant and worked for me as a sergeant. He was still a top notch officer, but got a divorce, and while he had always been a cheerful sort of guy, I don't recall ever seeing him even smile after that shooting. There was no logical reason for him to ever regret what he'd done, but it obviously wasn't easy to live with.

And when I was a recruit in the academy, the head of the academy was as rough and tough an old cop as you'll ever meet. But he had shot a young man a few years earlier. It was justifiable and he was correct in what he'd done. But he told us he'd awakened many a night with that fellow sitting on the foot of the bed; i.e., nightmares years later.

We'd all like to think we're brave and tough . . . well, maybe brave, but sometimes not as tough as we'd like to be.

/ Why Run? #22  
Bird said:
You're most likely right. You know a large percentage of the officers who shoot someone resign not long after that. And personality changes are common. I never had any doubt about my ability to shoot if I had to, but thankfully, never had to find out for sure. However, one of my top young field training officers had to shoot and kill a man one night. Plenty of witnesses, including the dead man's wife, who all agreed that the officer had no choice; it was his life or the other man's. That young officer stayed on the department, even was, a few years later, promoted to the rank of sergeant and worked for me as a sergeant. He was still a top notch officer, but got a divorce, and while he had always been a cheerful sort of guy, I don't recall ever seeing him even smile after that shooting. There was no logical reason for him to ever regret what he'd done, but it obviously wasn't easy to live with.

And when I was a recruit in the academy, the head of the academy was as rough and tough an old cop as you'll ever meet. But he had shot a young man a few years earlier. It was justifiable and he was correct in what he'd done. But he told us he'd awakened many a night with that fellow sitting on the foot of the bed; i.e., nightmares years later.

We'd all like to think we're brave and tough . . . well, maybe brave, but sometimes not as tough as we'd like to be.

Bird, I'm of the opinion that anyone who could shoot someone, even totally justified, and NOT feel bad, shouldn't have a badge and a gun. Police work is tough, but the best I've known are compassionate as well as brave.

Wouldn't have the job myself. (Too apt to be "judge, jury, and executioner") Sure glad there are those who will take the risk.

Thanks to everyone who serves and protects.

/ Why Run? #23  
Bob,

You should have mentioned why the troopers are nervious in the first place. That Phillipps character is something.

Guy has 5 days left in prison and escapes. Then he shoots a trooper. Now he's on the run near you. So this other yahoo does this....Sad way to die

/ Why Run?
Bucky is running around over here but I do not believe there was any confusion on the officers part as to if this guy was Bucky or not. It was just a simple traffic stop for no helmet.

Of course, Bucky did steal a ATV from 1.5 miles up the road that night also, then a car and headed out towards the country more. There are so many state troopers in this area right now because of him it is crazy. They don't care about most of the typical infractions either right now. They are all looking for Bucky. It is fun to see the SWAT guys running around here with their rifles and ATV's. I do not see this Bucky thing ending well though.

/ Why Run? #25  
yep Robert, strange thing is (as you know) i am just a few miles north of you, but the thought has crossed my mind what if???? so you must be aware of what can happen and be prepared!

/ Why Run? #26  
I must be out of the loop.. someone fill me in on the who/when/where on this bucky fellow?

Soundguy

/ Why Run? #27  
Were these guys pulled over for not wearing a helmet or for riding unregistered or unregisterable vehicles on a state road? I know in CA we can ride a ATV or dirt bike without a helmet. We cannot however ride them on state or county roads. Just curious.

/ Why Run?
They were originally pulled over for no helmet. NY law requires helmets when you are on the roads. Of course, you are not allowed to ride on public roads with a ATV but I don't think the troopers were too concerned about that, just the riders safety because of all the people around there they didn't want someone to have an accident and get hurt. It was just a simple stop that went terribly wrong.

Chris, Bucky Phillips is a local guy here who has always been a thief. His reputation growing up was when your bicycle came up missing you just went to his house and took it back. His entire life has been just one crime after the other. Nothing serious though until he escaped and now is being linked to shooting the State Trooper.

Even now all he is doing is robbing places that are not occupied looking for food and such. But there are reports he has guns and that has the police on their toes. He has been hiding out for a while but keeps leaving a trail for the police to follow. If not for the trooper being shot and Bucky being sought for questioning, I doubt the police would care as much. But when that trooper was shot then everyone in a uniform is here looking for him now and he is all over the news.

/ Why Run? #29  
Speaking of ATV riders.

I was out at my pasture putting out grass seed with my 8n, and say a sheriff pull over a kid on an atv up the road. Riding by it was easy to see the cop was giving the father ( who musta walked from the house ) heck.. etc.

Out here.. the atv riders tear up everything... they try to get in your pastures.. blow donuts.. everything. I'm not a mean person.. but I wouldn't feel bad if they got fined, and had the atv impounded... the kids around here are destructive.

Soundguy

/ Why Run? #30  
Soundguy,

It's not just ATV's or the people that operate them. It's most people.... Once there was a thing called respect. Today respect is little and far between.

Many ATV riders dont respect other's prpoerty rights. Most people dont respect others. Many people dont respect your time. Ever have a friend that is always late ? You wait around for them all the time. My time is valuable, but that friend doesnt think my time is valuable, he doesnt respect me.

There are many instances of this in day to day life. Most of it comes from a general deceny to respect others. 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you' is sort of a funny comment. Most ATV riders would say you could do donuts on their property if they had any... Most people that are late would be okay if you were late... Most people are blind to their disrespect....

Hmm very off topic arent I?