Why Run?

/ Why Run? #51  
Soundguy said:
1*As for the arguments about shooting a tire or a leg. 2*The writer of the article makes a big stink about the distance dragged not being one mile. Soundguy
~~~~~~~~~~
1*Just how accurate of a shot can one place while beige dragged along by an ATV?
2*Bet you couldn't get the writer to volunteer to be drug behind an ATV for half the distance at half the speed.

/ Why Run?
The guy who stopped to help the officer was a friend of mine and the son of the farmer who's field I was baling. Just about everyone involved in this whole thing knew each other and the only "outsider" was the officer. I still believe that the officer did the correct thing given the circumstance.

Also, I have not checked the mileage but it is a straight road that he was dragged down at full speed by a 4 wheeler (it is at least a half mile and the officer was dragged over a set of train tracks also). The people who keep insisting he shot this guy because he thought it was Bucky are just looking to blame others. Bucky stole a 3 wheeler from up the road and I am sure the officers know enough to tell the difference between a old Honda 3 wheeler and a new 4 wheeler where there were a lot of 4 wheelers running around this area giving the festival going on. The thought that the officers stopped a couple guys (who were breaking the law) and automatically thought they had Bucky because he stole an ATV is just ignorant.

It all comes down to the fact that he should not have run. I just hope someone reads this thread and thinks twice before doing something stupid when the police are involved if they ever find themselves in this postion.

/ Why Run? #54  
Piedmont3 said:
If you are stopped by a police officer, say Yes Sir, and No Sir...

With all due respect to police officers, I don't think that is necessary. A simple yes or no would be sufficient. If a Sir would sway the officer's decision, well, they need to find a new line of work.

As far as the trooper shooting this guy. From what I've read here, I would have shot him too. But I would have done it a lot sooner.

/ Why Run?
I think he meant to say Sir to show respect to the officer.

/ Why Run? #56  
The writer of the article makes a big stink about the distance dragged not being one mile.

There is no safe distance to be drug.
My brother was drug about 30 feet on a smooth concrete floor by a small fork truck.
It really did a number on him.

/ Why Run? #57  
My point exactly. There should be no 'minimum' duration for timing self defense based on another person causing harm to you. If the threat is real and immenent.. ya gotta protect yourself..

Soundguy

/ Why Run? #58  
BillyP said:
With all due respect to police officers, I don't think that is necessary. A simple yes or no would be sufficient. If a Sir would sway the officer's decision, well, they need to find a new line of work.

As far as the trooper shooting this guy. From what I've read here, I would have shot him too. But I would have done it a lot sooner.

I don't see it that way. The "sir" would have been a sign of respect for the badge (more correctly, the position and the LAW the badge stands for) I can't help but think back to an episode of Andy Griffith, where Barney was being threatened by the "town bully". Andy told Barney to stand tall and demand respect for the badge and all it stood for. Right here is what all this is all about....

LACK OF RESPECT FOR THE LAW. (And all those who obey the law)

I also see this as a litmus test for those who are good citizens vs. those who think they're above the law. The woman who defended the actions of a criminal and chastized the cop (in the newspaper article) needs some "old fashioned justice" in my world.

And while I'm on the soapbox, I have a definate issue with some newspapers that allow such nonsense to be printed. I believe everyone has their right to free speech. I believe the media has a right to report all the news. (Actually, they have a RESPONSIBILITY to print all the news) But, printing something that was intended soley to stir public controversy is a HUGE dis-service to their readers.

OK, I've bashed the media, now who's left?

/ Why Run? #59  
Wow, what a nice letter..

Brad tried to get away. Why, I can only assume. It may have been because he had been celebrating

So he was drunk & driving. That's ok in NY I guess? Maybe expected. After all there were gonna be fireworks. Can't go see fireworks without being drunk can ya? But then again Lady, you have no idea what you are talking about, because you weren't there.

It may have been because in this area if you are stopped on a dirt bike or ATV, you try to get away. Right or wrong, it’s an unwritten rule

Who thinks up these rules? How can you know all the rules if they are unwritten? Oh, I get it. You know all the rules because you know it all.

If you can shoot someone in the back, can’t you shoot them in the leg or shoot out the tires

Lady.. Have you ever even seen an ATV? Have you ever ridden one? If you are standing behind it, can you see anything but the person's back or head? Would you have rather he aimed for his head? I'm also sure as a seasoned ATV rider, you have never ridden home with flat tires.

I almost want to move to this town, just so I can rile up this lady in the local paper :)

/ Why Run? #60  
*I almost want to move to this town, just so I can rile up this lady in the local paper :)

*Wonder if you even have to be a resident in order to write a letter to the editor in that paper, I've been tempted to do that.
Out of towners write letters in the editorial page of our local paper all the time.

This woman's attitude and perception is exactly what causes these things!

dubba said:
Wow, what a nice letter..
So he was drunk & driving. That's ok in NY I guess? Maybe expected. After all there were gonna be fireworks. Can't go see fireworks without being drunk can ya? But then again Lady, you have no idea what you are talking about, because you weren't there
[/Who thinks up these rules? How can you know all the rules if they are unwritten? Oh, I get it. You know all the rules because you know it all.
Lady.. Have you ever even seen an ATV? Have you ever ridden one? If you are standing behind it, can you see anything but the person's back or head? Would you have rather he aimed for his head? I'm also sure as a seasoned ATV rider, you have never ridden home with flat tires.
I almost want to move to this town, just so I can rile up this lady in the local paper :)