How dry I am.!?.!?

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #21  
Farmwithjunk said:
I was watching the radar image as it approached. It simply vanished from the screen as it entered our county.

MAYBE...(hold your breath) maybe rain tomorrow. I'll stop on the way home and wash my truck. That usually causes it to rain. ;) (Another attempt to laugh in the face of adversity)

Been there so many times this summer. I've seen the radar green as can be over our place, but it was do dry the rain was evaporating before it even hit the ground. Now that is frustrating when the radar is lying.

I plan to wash my truck, WAX it, leave the windows ALL THE WAY DOWN, have a BBQ on the patio, and spray $150 worth of water-soluable chemicals on the fence row!!! C'mon, I dare it to rain!!!! I just dare it!!! :p

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #22  
We have been very dry last few years, but it looks like we might be back to average rainfall, with an early spring break!

rainfall table.JPG

The wet doesn't usually start untill october, although last year it was november before we got any relief. This year has been well below average (about 1/2) but things are looking up :)

Cran

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #23  
We got an inch yesterday, the first rain that we've had in over a month. 50 miles west has had 10" more rain than we've had since spring. Very dry here, garden and the yard are burnt up.

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #24  
It has been very dry up here also. My first cutting only averaged 75 bales to the acre and that was cut at the end of may/early june. I needed some second cutting clover so I cut the 20 acre field that had the most growth. Ended up with 106 bales:( If I didn't need that cutting I wouldn't have wasted my time. But we did get a sprinkle last night and it is suppose to rain this weekend:rolleyes: Not that it will help much on the hay crop since it is getting too late to cut now.

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #25  
We broke the 'hottest July' record.... set back in the late 1800's. Very little rain, they just turned the irrigation water off last week, at least a month early. I am lucky that I have a pond which is fed by irrigation water and an artesian well so I always have water for the lawn, gardens and what not. Hay field is not going to be too happy after 3rd cutting though... likely to really dry out.

Big thing for us isn't necessarily how much rain we get in the summer but how much snow we get in the mountains during the winter. Need it to refill the reservoirs for the next years irrigation water.

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #26  
Watching the weather radar on Weather.com just drives me nuts. So many times I've watched rain either run right up to us or slip past. This morning, I watched a nice band of rain showers with plenty of yellows and red march it's way across West Tennessee, for sure heading our way. But as it got closer to Nashville, it began to fall apart and evaporate, right in front of my eyes. We got just enough rain to disturb the dust on the windshield of my pickup. It's obvious to me now that either one of my neighbors isn't living a good clean life or is behind on his tithing. :rolleyes:

My wife is about ready to throw me out of the house. I've told her a hundred times that I'd stop watching the weather radar. Don't know why I'm fretting over it so much. The hay is gone, the crops are gone. The orchards aren't fairing much better with the late freeze and extreme drought. Rain right now would be like pouring water on a house that's already burned down. But then everything is super dry. A powder keg. A rain would help put moisture back into the ground to help prevent raging fires that could endanger life and property. One careless flick of a cigarette would probably wipe us out. :(

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #27  
Hi Guys
I live just north of Melbourne - Australia and as we head into summer, we were given some sobering stats in the past couple of weeks.
This time last year, the city water supply was 47%. This year at the same time, we are at 36% (I think).
The Murray river which is a major lifeline for all of the farmers is now heading into the summer with no reserves at the head (9% I think)
Last year at this time the reserves were in the 40 % region.
Farmer allocations for water along the river are maxed out at 15% for the year.
In my job we have one particular young man that visits from Japan and we have taught him to answer "How do you find Australia?" with a very good four letter word followed by dry!!! It is very funny when in the correct company and with his japanese accent!!!
So in answer to the question here How dry am I?? Take my answer from the japanese man mentioned above %^&^%* dry!!!:)
So it seems to be a big problem everywhere.

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #28  
Adelaide, South Australia. Entire rainfall for Winter (June, July, Aug) was 160mm (6.4"). Just 1" fell in August and evaporated almost instantly so everything is bone dry and dying before spring even gets going. (The temperature on the last day of winter was 87 degress F. (Think about that... its just 3 degrees below 90... in winter!) This follows a winter rainfall last year that was even worse. 58mm (2.3").

Now we head into our dry, hot months. :)

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #29  
At my home outside Buffalo NY we have had a very dry summer with only about 4" of rain since May. 70 miles south at my farm we have had .:
May 3.5"
June 4.2"
July 5.1"
August 7.0"
Sept so far 3.3"

Over 23" in total The ponds are full.

/ How dry I am.!?.!?
Well, the drought isn't broke, but at least we got a good rain! Yesterday morning we got 1.66" spread out over 3-1/2 hours. Calling for more this afternoon. A couple more rains predicted in the next week, and high temps in the low 70's by next weekend.

Too little, too late for saving our hay crop, but at least the yard is starting to green up a bit.

A neighbor is an arborist for the state parks dept. He says this years weather will wreak havoc on trees for the next couple of years.