How dry I am.!?.!?

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #1  

Farmwithjunk

Tractor
Where do I begin.....
I aughtta let the TV weather guessers do my taxes. They make things disappear right before my very eyes. We had a front headed this way with rain. Once it got to with-in a few miles, it evaporated....literally.

Spring arrived in early March, about 2 months ahead of schedule. 80 degree weather with gentle rains. Everything took off like it was May. Then April got here. It brought January weather. With everything budded and ready for summer, we had 3 weeks of temps in the teens and low 20's. EVerything was stunted. Then summer arrived. June and July were dry. VERY dry. Right at the end of July, we got a teaser of rainy weather for about a week. Just enough to bring a few things back out of dormancy. Then back to dry. August and September are historically the dryest months of our weather year. It's D.R.Y. Parts of our state are 14-1/2" below normal for the year. By my records, we're right at 11" short.

I understand further south from here has it even worse.

I WAS planning on plowing up an old hayfield and replanting this month. That's on hold for now. No...NONE....zero soil moisture in the upper 2'.

I sold my first cutting of hay for prices I thought were nuts. I wish I had it back. It would sell for double the price. The mowing business was going like gangbusters. It's a little slow now since nothing is growing.

OK.... How dry are you? And how has it effected your future plans? How has it effected you NOW?

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #2  
Yep, this weather is just plain crazy. Some areas getting too much and some too little, and the distance between too much and too little may be very few miles. After a 2 year drought, so far this year I've gotten about:
Jan = 3.4"
Feb = .68"
Mar = 3.89"
Apr = 9.47"
May = 8.3"
Jun = 16.09" (yep, it was a really wet June)
Jul = 1.3" (while the DFW airport, less than 20 miles away got 5.54")
Aug = .33"
Sep = .49" (that was night before last and I'm 20 miles north of Dallas, while the south side of Dallas got 4" to 5" and had flooding).

/ How dry I am.!?.!?
To add to the misery factor, we had our hottest August on record, which included 5 single day record highs, and 6 record highest night-time lows. The record WAS 21 consecutive days 90 or above. That's now 26 days.

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #4  
I feel your pain. Same way down here. Although we did get some rain about two weeks ago that greened things up in the area where my property is and where my B-I-L's farm is. Looks like he might get another hay cutting.

I just planted food plots. No rain in forecast. Still looks like highs in the 90's for the next few more days.

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #5  
We don't even bother to count the number of days that are 90 or more; that's just to be expected all summer. We're usually only concerned with the number of days that are 100 or more.:D And we've actually had a mild summer; at least for June, and I guess most of July, and while I think it was 90 or more nearly every day in August, I think we're far below the normal number of 100 and more days.

Well, you made me curious so I checked the 2007 figures for the DFW airport and we only had 17 days of 90 or more in June, 26 in July, all 31 in August, and so far every day in September. But we've only had 5 days of 100 or more and they were all in August.

/ How dry I am.!?.!?
Bird said:
We don't even bother to count the number of days that are 90 or more; that's just to be expected all summer. We're usually only concerned with the number of days that are 100 or more.:D And we've actually had a mild summer; at least for June, and I guess most of July, and while I think it was 90 or more nearly every day in August, I think we're far below the normal number of 100 and more days.

Well, you made me curious so I checked the 2007 figures for the DFW airport and we only had 17 days of 90 or more in June, 26 in July, all 31 in August, and so far every day in September. But we've only had 5 days of 100 or more and they were all in August.

Well, we tied you on the number of 100+ days in August, including one 107 degree day. We get a lot of 90+ days, just usually not so many in a row.

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #7  
Farmwithjunk said:
Well, we tied you on the number of 100+ days in August, including one 107 degree day. We get a lot of 90+ days, just usually not so many in a row.

Strange, but down here in South Louisiana we haven't had a day over 100 degrees in years but with our high humidity we have many days where the weatherman says it feels like 110 degrees.

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #8  
We had at least 5 days over 100 in August. Temps in the 90's do not raise eyebrows here. People start to chatter a little when we get several days in a row greater than 100. The thing is that almost every day in August was above 90, plus we had the days in the 100's plus there has been very little rain. Spring was pretty mild and June and early July were pleasant.

More typical weather for here is high 80's low 90's and frequent afternoon thunderstorms. We just haven't had the storms.

Looking forward to fall weather....but it aint gonna get here til winter.

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #9  
One cut of hay at the beginning of the season. That is it. I will not get three or even the normal "two". My two still has tracks in to from the first cut.

All the storms seem to split before they hit us.

My creek which normally runs 1-4 feet is dry in spots. Water goes from pool to pool. Makes cleaning it up easier.

Bad year..... Neighboors 300 acre corn, total loss.

-Mike Z.

/ How dry I am.!?.!? #10  
Very similar here in southern Indiana as in Kentucky. I lost 2 dogwoods to the cold snap in April and it put the hurt on a cherry tree. In this drought I've lost a pin oak that I planted 2 March's ago, the cherry tree is on it's last leg, and another dogwood is looking very bad. My pond is waaaaay down and my floating dock is no longer floating. I haven't mowed in 6 weeks. I haven't gotten anything done outside because it's too darn hot to do anything productive. Due to the July rains the garden produced well, but it's pretty well withered up to nothing at this point. All in all, a fairly disgusting summer.