Name Your Property

/ Name Your Property #11  
Our property was settled by Alexander Hilleary who came west from Virginia. It is still in the same family and is one of the oldest registered farms in Iowa. We wanted to do something that would tie back to my wife's family heritage so we named our property "Hilleary Hills".

I had a lot of dential work done in the '90s from clinching my teeth every time some moron ask if we named it after that [censored] in the White House.

/ Name Your Property #12  
We have named our homestead "Albertine Acres". The story behind this...My wife and I are third generation 'City Folk'. We have always loved the country. In the summer of 2000, we travelled across the US and Canada. After six weeks of roaming through the mid-west (Yellowstone area mostly), we returned home to discover my grandmother (named Albertine) was ill. while visiting with her, we told her that "someday we will live in the country and raise horses..." Well, my grandmother (Meme for those French-Canadian folks) summed things up for us that day: Life is too short; its only paper; if things don't work out you can always move back; she was dying in the house (a small 3 room cottage in the city) that she lived in for the last 70 +/- years.
That was the last conversation I had with her, she died later that day. Two days after the funeral we placed our house on the market. The day that it was listed, it sold to the first person who looked at it (full asking price). At that time we had not found a suitable country estate, so, we had to live in our camper at my mom's house for over a month until things settled on our current home. Six weeks later, a house we looked at before, but, was too much $$$, had been reduced. The seller needed to relocate to Ohio and had to unload her property before she left. Thus, "Albertine Acres" was born.
Sorry for the long post...

Steve H. from "Albertine Acres"

P.S. I gave myself five years to get established before I added "Horse Farm" to my moniker. One down...four to go...

/ Name Your Property #13  
Ever seen "Crossfire Trail" with Tom Selleck? I've been wantin' to use the name from that, but can't quite get the wife to go for "Crazy Woman Ranch"./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Hoss

/ Name Your Property #14  
We call our place Silver Star Farm, my wife trains and shows Event horses, so the business name is Silver Star Sport Horses.
We were originally going to call it Silver Leaf Farm, even planted silver leaf maples, but before we officially decided a Dressage barn in the area changed its name to Silver Leaf, so to avoid confusion we went with Silver Star.

Larry

/ Name Your Property #15  
No name for our property where we live, as of yet. Our family has a place in the Adirondaks, aptly named "Rocky Point". Many water lillies adorn the waterfront during the summer. "Camp Lilly" was the name on the old outhouse! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Name Your Property #16  
Ours is called Tyler's Rest. Very bittersweet story, for any dog lovers out there. I grew up only 3 miles from where we live now. That was down in one of the suburban tracts "in town". After college, 6 years in NYC, a wedding and a small business opening AND closing, we wanted a place 5 minutes to town, private, 5 acres or more, water (stream or pond) and 3 car garage - all in our price range. Realtor says pick any two features. After 2 months of looking, a house for sale by owner that meets all criteria/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif, move in, get a dog, have a baby, life is good. Thats the sweet part.

Now for the bitter part. The dog we got was going to be abandoned for the 3rd time to owners who couldn't/wouldn't give him proper care and treatment. His name was Tyler (Tyler Taylor - of course we didn't name him/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif). That dog was always psycho from previous treatment, but he loved me. Wouldn't ever leave my side and loved to run and play once he began to trust us. During hunting season, while we were at my sister's house for Thanksgiving, we left a dog/house sitter with strict instructions that Tyler was NEVER to be out of hand while he was doing his business. We have a cable run, and I told the sitter to grab the collar and not let go until the cable was firmly attached. Yes, he got away anyway/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif. He never returned to the house. When we got home, I found him shot through the heart/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif by a deer slug ON OUR PROPERTY! The hunter had set up a deer stand deep in our woods and shot him as he (probably) chased deer. We had him cremated. When we got another dog the next month (that we still have and love), we strapped the box of ashes on our new dog and he spread Tyler's remains around what is now Tyler's Rest. And that's the "rest" of the story.

/ Name Your Property #17  
We call our place Northfork. The story behind it is kind of silly, really. Back in the early 80's my wife was a big fan of the TV show "Dallas". The name of the gorgeous ranch those folks lived in was Southfork. Sooooo, when we bought our piece of the country, we laughed and agreed that Northfork would be a great name. If those rich folks from Texas can live in Southfork, us poor folks from Michigan can live in Northfork. A friend of mine even made a nice sign that we planted out near the end of the driveway. We raised beef cows up until a few years ago and Northfork seemed like a pretty good name for the operation.

/ Name Your Property #18  
The not-yet-built house will be probably come to be known as Darby's Castle (anyone recognize this?) located on Family Tiff Acres.

/ Name Your Property #19  
Ours is called "Field Stone Farm". We bought a 30 acres of farmland about 10 years ago with miles of old stone walls. We built a timberframe farmhouse, but the farming is strictly a hobby. We cut a little hay, the neighbor pastures his beef in the back 20 and we occasionally sell a few field stones.

/ Name Your Property #20  
No signs or nothing yet, but I like "Lawn Hill" for ours.

2 Reasons - It is on a hill without many trees and lots of grass - So Lawn Hill it is !!

Also, Lawn Hill Gorge is 1 of the best places we have been camping. Up in the North West of our state. Very nice place.

Cheers