Nuts!

/ Nuts! #31  
I cant use them in the ag program that i am enrolling in. It must be native trees. The black walnut wins then.

/ Nuts! #32  
It sounds like a miniature Lathe would be in order Prokoff. One could turn many an item.:)

Heck, even Moss should have one so he could really make fancy fishing gear. :)

Sitting in front of a winter evening fire turning should be very pleasurable. Maybe some "Good Music" in the background?:D:D

Its a toss up between Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy or the Stones' Keith Richards singing Before They Make Me Run. Which one would make you run a lathe more better? :p

/ Nuts! #33  
I have read that the native Americans ate the Buckeyes but they leached them several times to remove the Tannic Acid, just as you would with acorns.

A small town south of us has an annual Chestnut festival and they sell roasted Chestnuts along with other items and is a big event for them. They have the Chinese Chestnut variety and they are not bad. They are trying to hybridize the Chinese strain with the American Chestnut to produce a blight resistant strain. There are a few surviving American Chestnuts (I Know of one) that they use for cross-breeding.

We have Butternuts, English Walnut, Black Walnut, Pecan, Shagbark Hickory and are trying to get some Chestnut started along with Hiccan (Hickory-Pecan cross), Heartnut and other varieties, our biggest problem is the deer. They nip the buds off, eat the bark on young trees and the Bucks select our most valuable trees to rub the velvet off their antlers. We have too many trees to fence and the commercial repellents wash off with the rain, tried hair clippings from the barber and the deer just chase the dog away, guess I need a bigger back-up dog. I hunt but that does not put a dent in their population. We have found that putting 1/2 a bar of deodorant soap in an old sock and hanging it on the tree helps a lot. Too many trees and too much acreage.

It is also hard to get any Plums, or Mulberries from our trees. The Does bring the fawns up to clean up any Plums that fall, along with the Turkeys, Raccoons, Opossums and Coyotes (Yes they like Plums too). The birds pretty much get most of the Mulberries but not all. Mulberries make a delicious jelly that is heavenly with butter on a hot roll.

/ Nuts! #34  
Unless it's classical music Moss you are too young to really enjoy the music I would. :D

/ Nuts! #35  
I have read that the native Americans ate the Buckeyes but they leached them several times to remove the Tannic Acid, just as you would with acorns.

A small town south of us has an annual Chestnut festival and they sell roasted Chestnuts along with other items and is a big event for them. They have the Chinese Chestnut variety and they are not bad. They are trying to hybridize the Chinese strain with the American Chestnut to produce a blight resistant strain. There are a few surviving American Chestnuts (I Know of one) that they use for cross-breeding.

We have Butternuts, English Walnut, Black Walnut, Pecan, Shagbark Hickory and are trying to get some Chestnut started along with Hiccan (Hickory-Pecan cross), Heartnut and other varieties, our biggest problem is the deer. They nip the buds off, eat the bark on young trees and the Bucks select our most valuable trees to rub the velvet off their antlers. We have too many trees to fence and the commercial repellents wash off with the rain, tried hair clippings from the barber and the deer just chase the dog away, guess I need a bigger back-up dog. I hunt but that does not put a dent in their population. We have found that putting 1/2 a bar of deodorant soap in an old sock and hanging it on the tree helps a lot. Too many trees and too much acreage.

It is also hard to get any Plums, or Mulberries from our trees. The Does bring the fawns up to clean up any Plums that fall, along with the Turkeys, Raccoons, Opossums and Coyotes (Yes they like Plums too). The birds pretty much get most of the Mulberries but not all. Mulberries make a delicious jelly that is heavenly with butter on a hot roll.

Dozer, I can sure sympathize with you on the deer issue. I have to individually fence every tree I plant if I want it to make it to a size where it can withstand deer browsing. My trees are too widely spaced to make fencing in the area worthwhile, especially when you consider how tall a fence is required to keep deer out, so I put a 5' circle of fence around each tree. Talk about a pain when mowing, not to mention the expense. I planted five grafted pecans in 2004 and three carpathian walnuts in 2005 and was just this year able to remove the fence from three of the pecans and two of the walnuts. I still had to worry about buck rubs, but was lucky this year. A few years back, I planted about 50 each of black walnut and pecan seedlings....there may be a couple of the pecans still hidden in deep weeds in the old fence rows, but all the walnuts and the vast majority of the pecans are long gone. As to the coons and other beasties, they get most of my peaches and some of the plums. The fence circles obviously don't even slow them down.

Chuck

/ Nuts! #36  
Unless it's classical music Moss you are too young to really enjoy the music I would. :D

Hee heee!!! :) I'll listen to it and even enjoy it, but I'm more of a classic rock kind of person. Fortunately for us, our 15 and 10 year old daughters prefer "our" music to the current modern stuff. :D

/ Nuts! #37  
The small orchard we planted has 7' of fencing around it to keep the deer off. The replanting we will be doing in the fields will have 5' tubex tubes around the trees.
1. to help with deer 2. to help with the voles. those voles will destroy a trees roots and the tubes really protect them. i am not sure if i will fence in everything, the cost is a bit high. Even to just use the mesh deer fencing, i figure if i am going to fence it in i want the fencing to last.