Deer Eating Me Up

/ Deer Eating Me Up #1  

daBear

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
We set out about 30 Leland cypress trees two years ago and the deer have loved us every since. They are driving us crazy and I have tried deer repellent, motion sprinklers and wire to discourage them to no real help. Any fresh ideas of how to discourage deer?To close to other houses to shoot em.

/ Deer Eating Me Up #2  
Build a deerstand. Go sit in it...if you're like me, you won't see anything:eek:

/ Deer Eating Me Up #3  
If you can't shoot them maybe this would work for you, it did for me.

I ran elec. line to edge of corn patch. Hook up old grill motor cut square wood strip to fit into the drive - staple plastic milk carton to wood. Hook up this contraption and a light to a cheep timer. Set it to come on and off all night long. The light and the movement/sound did the job.

Some buddies joked that the deer were in the edge of the woods saying to each other. "OK get ready we've go 30 minutes before the light comes back on."

If you don't have something laying around to protect timer and motor from the weather, take a 5 gal plastic bucket cut a small hole in the bottom for the wooden shaft to stick thru with the milk ctn on top.

/ Deer Eating Me Up #4  
try putting a mix of dog and human hair around the area - talk to beauty salons and pet groomers for their end of day leftovers. the smell is supposed to help detour them around the area. We've done this with the garden in the past and it helps me get more of my "share" of the produce...

/ Deer Eating Me Up #5  
I planted 100 white pines this past spring, and knew they wouldn't last long with as many deer as I have around. So I actually build a wire cage for each of them out of old fence. Luckily, older fencing is abundant on my property, so I just cut out sections, rolled it together to form a ring, and bent the cut end over each other to hold it there. Used one old fence post per tree, wired the cage to the post, and haven't lost a one to the deer. I figured this would at least let the trees have a fighting chance of getting bigger. May not help in your case, but it did in mine.

I also have some of that deer repellent spray, but I'm not disciplined enough to remember to spray it once a month. Or get human hair...... or any of the other short term ideas. So I just put in the hard work and did this.

J.

/ Deer Eating Me Up #6  
A buddy at work has a large garden near the woods. He gets repellent at either TSC or his local hardware. Swears by it. Between the repellent and his .308, he's had no problems this year. The hotstick and jerky were excellent, too.

/ Deer Eating Me Up #7  
This past year I planted 4 acres of a 5 acre bottom with 75 tomatoe plants, 40 cucumber, 25 squash, 35 cantalope, sweet corn, 2 long rows of okra, peas, beans, and 1.5 acre of pumpkin. I received 12 squash, 10 pumpkin, and a peck of green beans. The DEER ate everything!!!:mad: I planted 50 lb of sunflower...because deer love sunflowers, I thought they would eat those and leave everything else. Did not touch the sunflower!

I tried, hair, Irish spring Soap, 20 baloons at a time the kind that looked like this:), timed buzzer the would go off every 2 min, owel, scare crow, sat in the field of a evening with shot gun to shoot every few min to keep them away. Nothing worked:mad::mad:. Or should I say everthing worked for about two days and then they wold return.

I do not want to fence the field but a couple of things I may try if I have the problem this year. Cheap perfume on human hair tied to fishing line.

I have a farm in another county that I rent to a large strawberry producer. He was having a problem with the deer pulling up his plants and he did this, said it worked.

Good luck, let ME know if you find something that works.

David

/ Deer Eating Me Up #8  
I have tried the 'invisible fence' (foul smelling repellant) with hit or miss results.. A guy I know swears by putting dryer sheets (anti-cling sheet) on the trees - the smell keeps the deer away..

Brian

/ Deer Eating Me Up #9  
As a matter of fact...30 min after replying to this thread had these 4 in the back yard!:eek: Only got a pic of 3.

Attachments

• 100_0837.jpg
    100_0837.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 306
   / Deer Eating Me Up #10  
I find it funny that there are folks who spend thousands on deer leases, feeders, feed, hunting gear....etc to draw deer in hunt deer and here y'all are spending who knows what on trying to keep them away:)

Guard dog, tape recorder to run all night of people talking.