Baby Pig. Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Baby Pig. Now What? #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
My Mom came over and told me that my cat was chasing a baby pig out behind my house. I went out there and saw them right off, but they were playing with each other, and the pig was chasing the cat.

I grabed my fishing net and caught it fairly easily. Then it got tangled up, so my Dad cut away some of the netting.

I have it in a plastic storage bin for right now. It's only a couple of pounds, and I have no idea how old it is. No umbilical cord, and the fur looks in good shape.

We gave it some milk and cat food for the night.

Now what do I do with it?

Eddie

Attachments

• 91369.jpg
    91369.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 2,375
  • 91370.jpg
    91370.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 1,927
  • 91371.jpg
    91371.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 2,086
  • 91372.jpg
    91372.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 1,999
  • 91374.jpg
    91374.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 6,358
  • 91378.jpg
    91378.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 2,702
   / Baby Pig. Now What? #2  
I would name it "BB"...as in BBQ...

get some pig chow for about 3 months...then corn for another month...then on the spit...

/ Baby Pig. Now What? #3  
Get it to squealing, and the mother should show up. Think it is from a feral (wild) pig family?

/ Baby Pig. Now What? #5  
1. Go rent the movie "Babe" & watch it.

2. Keep it as a barnyard pet, or name it Pork Chop and eat it.

Given the rapid rate at which pigs go feral, I suspect the feral ones can become tame just as easily.

/ Baby Pig. Now What? #7  
Much as I love bacon, I'd be hard pressed to keep him just to cook him:p, Lil' fellers' just too darn cute!

/ Baby Pig. Now What? #8  
Don't rent it out :)

Bottle feed it with milk and try to get it to eat pig starter feed. Purina makes starter feed, should be easy enough to find. You can make a mash of starter feed and milk if that helps it eat better.

You will have to decide if it is a pet or future BBQ. Pigs will become tame and friendly with human contact. They are of similar intelligence to dogs. If it's a male, it should be castrated for pet or BBQ.
Dave.

/ Baby Pig. Now What? #9  
CurlyDave said:
1. Go rent the movie "Babe" & watch it.

2. Keep it as a barnyard pet, or name it Pork Chop and eat it.
y.

1. That movie always makes me wanna smoke something.

2. I thought you were supposed to name them all Wilbur?? :)7

/ Baby Pig. Now What? #10  
We used to raise one or two up every year,,had a lot, a house and a slop trough,,come about dec/jan we shot them,bleed them and processed them,had a smoke house.

He is cute now,but in a few months,most of that is about worn off

Status
Not open for further replies.