Chickens

/ Chickens #1  

Patriotic Stabilist

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford-Old-was dad's
I went back several pages and couldn't find a chicken thread though I know they are here.

Anyway, I am raising Rhode Island Reds, that's all I've ever had. But then I bought some barred rocks. I can already see that they are going to be the meatier of the birds and they are only about half the age, I had no idea. So I guess no more reds for meat, though they are supposed to be dual purpose birds.

Now I'm reading cornish rocks are even better, that they can be raised to butchering weight in about 8 weeks.

I'm curious what do you guys raise. I think my reds are not much for eating after seeing these others, that was just what I was familiar with but think I will change next time.

And the netting stopped the loss of chickens. I see those hawks quite often and they are beautiful but they just have to eat elsewhere.:licking:

Anyone know which is the best??

/ Chickens #2  
We raise 'Red Sex Links' as our dual purpose breeds but really it's for meat. We use Barred Rocks, White Leghorns and Araucanas for eggs so we get mixed colors.

We avoid Cornish White's for meat as they just grow too fast and that can lead to problems such as heart attacks.

I'm not experienced with the RIR's and we've never used Barred Rocks for meat so sorry I can't comment there. I'd assume they would be fine as long as they are killed when they are young and tender.

Good luck!

/ Chickens #3  
We're thinking of getting chickens. I have read a bunch of stuff on line, and have picked up a few publications to get some ideas. As experienced chicken ranchers, what's the one thing I need to know before I make the leap, pro and/or con?

I want to raise a general purpose (meat and eggs) flock.

/ Chickens #4  
We are getting 4 Plymouth Rock's next month. This will be our first go round. They will be only for eggs primarily. Don't know about the meat side of things.

/ Chickens #5  
I've raised chickens, many different breeds, for several years now. My experience is that if you want a meat bird, Cornish X is the only way to go. The 'dual purpose' birds are edible, but only if you want to stew them. By the time a dual purpose bird is big enough to mess with, it is too tough to roast or fry. You have to either stew them all day or pressure cook them. That's fine if that's what you want, I butcher 5-10 a year for just that purpose. I don't mess with scalding and plucking anymore, I skin and butcher them and my wif pressure cooks them and turns them into all sorts of delicious meals. The white meat on these birds is pretty dark compared to what most of you are likely used to.

The Cornish X (Cornish Cross) are a cross between a Dark Cornish (rooster or hen, not sure) and the opposite sex White Rock. They basically eat and poop. They are eating size in 8 to no more than 16 weeks. You cannot keep them longer, they will have all sorts of nasty physical problems (broken legs, heart attacks, etc. and it's just cruel). I have not raised myself, but my wife's uncle has and I've helped scald, pluck, and butcher. These chickens look exactly like what you get from the store. They are tender and delicious when fried or roasted.

Don't go into the 'dual purpose' chicken game expecting something you won't get. You will not get a wide breasted, short boned, tender meat bird, no matter what you do. These birds have narrow breasts, looong bones, much darker meat, and are tough unless properly prepared.

With proper expectations though, it can be very rewarding. Not financially rewarding, but as a hobby.

/ Chickens #6  
I've raised chickens, many different breeds, for several years now. My experience is that if you want a meat bird, Cornish X is the only way to go. The 'dual purpose' birds are edible, but only if you want to stew them. By the time a dual purpose bird is big enough to mess with, it is too tough to roast or fry. You have to either stew them all day or pressure cook them. That's fine if that's what you want, I butcher 5-10 a year for just that purpose. I don't mess with scalding and plucking anymore, I skin and butcher them and my wif pressure cooks them and turns them into all sorts of delicious meals. The white meat on these birds is pretty dark compared to what most of you are likely used to.

The Cornish X (Cornish Cross) are a cross between a Dark Cornish (rooster or hen, not sure) and the opposite sex White Rock. They basically eat and poop. They are eating size in 8 to no more than 16 weeks. You cannot keep them longer, they will have all sorts of nasty physical problems (broken legs, heart attacks, etc. and it's just cruel). I have not raised myself, but my wife's uncle has and I've helped scald, pluck, and butcher. These chickens look exactly like what you get from the store. They are tender and delicious when fried or roasted.

Don't go into the 'dual purpose' chicken game expecting something you won't get. You will not get a wide breasted, short boned, tender meat bird, no matter what you do. These birds have narrow breasts, looong bones, much darker meat, and are tough unless properly prepared.

With proper expectations though, it can be very rewarding. Not financially rewarding, but as a hobby.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I couldn't have said it better myself.

And to add another reason why commercial businesses go for the cornish/white rock is because of pin feathers not showing in white feathered birds like dark feathered birds.

I resorted to skinning dark feathered birds also.

/ Chickens #7  
We raise out 40 chicks a year. I need the manure for the organic gardens. We also sell eggs. We have Red Sex Links for great egg production and Barred Rocks for dual purpose and just for pleasure. We had ISA Browns for great egg production, but there's no meat there and Black Sex Links for somewhat disappointing egg production, but they are hardy and slightly better body meat.

We try to keep 20 hens in lay, but we rotate in and out rather quickly. Feed prices are too high for keeping non-laying "pets".

/ Chickens #8  
I do have some dark cornish hens and they are very noticably different, shapewise. You can see the deep, full breast that looks more like you expect from a meat bird. They were pretty slow to mature though, and aren't great egg layers. I'm in it for the fun more than anything though, so they have a home at my place. I will be interested to see what they look like when their time comes. I got them last spring, so maybe I'll take one or two this fall.

One of the cornish has just gone broody. About a month too late though. My last remaining rooster decided he didn't like my 2 year old daughter. He didn't last long (a matter of minutes) after that. He's chilling in my freezer right now...

I miss having a rooster around. I may try to find a banty rooster to keep. Hopefully he and the kids will get along better. Rhode Island Red and Barred Rocks have made aggressive roosters in my experience.

/ Chickens #9  
I think we're up to $21/100 pounds of layer mash at the local mill now. I feed them all the kitchen scraps as well. It's very noticable how much less they eat when I can let them out to free range. Not an option now though, as the young garden plants are very vulnerable.

/ Chickens
Feed prices are horrible. I went to the feed store and got a 40 pound bag of lamb and rice dog food and a 40 or 50 pound bag of crumbles for the chicks and spent $48. HOLY MOLEY. You will not save money raising chickens, just the eggs are delicious as is the meat.

I am keeping my chickens confined this year and not running the 2 acres hoping to make them have more meat and not run it off. Since all they are doing is eating, sleeping, and as somone said pooping. I'm hoping.

I'm giving them bad tomatoes and zucchini, after trying them they have found they like them. Also had some old hamburger I thawed and they gobbled that up. Meaty, I want meaty.