Chickens

/ Chickens #11  
I am able to sell all my extra eggs at $1.50/dozen. At that price I just about break even on the feed prices and get all the eggs we can use. I am in it only for the fun. I've wanted chickens for a looong time. Now that I am in a position to raise them I've really enjoyed it. The amount of work is pretty low and I keep the expense in line by selling eggs. Works out VERY well for me and I think it's a great experience for my kids.

/ Chickens #12  
We've had chickens for about 5 years now. After raising cornish cross birds for meat, I can't even justify the effort to butcher anything else. We have an egg flock made up of Easter eggers, Buff Orpingtons, and some barred something-or-others (My wife is really the chicken enthusiast). When we want meat birds, we'll get a half dozen or so cornish cross chicks and butcher them at 8 or 9 weeks. They grow amazing fast, and the meat is good.

We have one Buff hen that goes broody a few times each year. We'll give her a few eggs and let her raise the chicks. That beats incubators, brooders, integrating flocks and all the other headaches that come with raising chicks. We're on a schedule where we replace the flock about once every 3 years. That's when the egg production starts to drop off, but we can usually get a few dollars out of a laying hen to re-coup (no pun intended) our costs.

Chickens are a fun hobby, but don't plan on saving money doing it unless you have access to some cheap or free food.

The reason to have chickens is for waffles on Saturday morning. Save the egg whites when you make the batter and beat them. Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter just before you put it in the waffle iron. The waffles come out fluffy, crunchy, and delicious. Fry up an extra egg or two to have on the side, and you have a breakfast that can't be beat (no pun intended, again).

/ Chickens #13  
I'm curious about how you go about butchering a chicken. I can cut up a whole chicken so I don't mean that. I mean if you have a chicken running around in your yard or coop, how do you slaughter it and prepare it for consumption?

Anyone care to share?

/ Chickens #14  
I'm curious about how you go about butchering a chicken. I can cut up a whole chicken so I don't mean that. I mean if you have a chicken running around in your yard or coop, how do you slaughter it and prepare it for consumption?

Anyone care to share?

I found this site has a ton of information. It's like TBN for the feathered followers.

Be careful with the link-the photos depict chicken processing in full detail.

BackYardChickens Forum / Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

/ Chickens #16  
At current feed prices of $12-$14 a 50# being typical, one can only make a buck in eggs by:

1.Only having top notch, commercial layers, such as ISAs, Leghorns, Red Sex Links. 310 egg per pullet year hybrids. Only keep hens to first molt at 13/14 months of age. Fast rotation of layers.

2. Supplement feed with ranging, scraps, etc as much as possible. Impossible during our long winters.

3. Fetch $2.50 to $3.00 a dozen to discriminating buyers.

You'll never get rich, but at least you won't go broke either. :)

/ Chickens #17  
For those that can't allow your hens to free range, keep them a flake of good quality alfalfa hay in a rack. If it is good hay the hens will tell you by leaving only the stems and those can be composted.

The first step was missed in the link on butchering chickens. Did you notice the crop full of feed? Cut them off of feed about 12 hours before butchering.

/ Chickens #18  

Anyone care to share?

I have learned to neither pluck nor gut the birds.

Hang them by their feet
Off with their heads (I like using a VERY sharp fillet knife)
Let them hang a bit to drain.
Skin them carefully so as not to cut into the gut.
Remove the breasts and legs and pick what you can off the back, etc. for stew meat. I have not yet felt like the effort to butcher out a wing was ever worth it. For the effort it takes and the little bit of meat that's there it's a losing endeavor.

What's left is mostly bones and feathers. Throw it to the pigs or in the garbage.

/ Chickens #19  
We have ri reds and barred rock. For us they lay good and made it through the winter in an unheated hen house.
The feed I use is this,
1 50 lb bag of crumbles
1 50 lb bag of black oil sunflower seeds
1 50 lb bag of scratch grain
1 50 lb bag of oyster chips

I mix it all together in a big galvanized garbage can. Keeps the rodents out of it.

/ Chickens
That's a good description. I catch mine with a wire hook, then keep them from food overnight. I usually catch them in the evening.

But I read on the net an easy way to kill them, the way mom did it was to brutal for me. I tie their feet together loosely, then hang them on the cornerpost of the fence and slit their throats on each side. It's pretty humane, most will bleed out quickly and its like they just went to sleep. Once in awhile one will really thrash, but 90% won't.

The first ones I raised, I asked hubby to help me kill them. He said you raised them and wanted them you have to kill them. :shocked: It took me 2 weeks to get up the courage to do the first one. After that I could. Do I like doing it, no, but if you are going to eat them someone has too.