Generator advice

/ Generator advice #1  

donn12

Platinum Member
Tractor
B2920 TLB turfs and loaded ags
Looking for some generator knowledge and advice!

I do not have natural gas or a propane tank. I don't think I need (or really want) a whole house system. In the 6 years we have lived here we have not lost power for any length of time over a couple of hours, although we do have power lines and lots of trees.
We have about a 7,000 sq ft house, well water, septic and oil heat. I would like to power two refrigerators, a full size freezer, some lights, hot water etc. I would like to have some heat in the winter if the power is out in the winter, but other than that just the basics.

I have looked at a generac 17500 watt gas powered generator which is about $2300 on amazon. Is there a comparable or better diesel powered unit or anything else I should consider?

Thanks for the help - my $300 TSC unit is great for my barn but will not be of much use if we loose power for a couple of days!

/ Generator advice #2  
I think you should get the total power (watt) of your system before choosing a generator. A gas powered generator is fine, but for better result, use coal generator which is more expensive.
Is this the 17500 that you saw ?
Amazon.com: Generac 4583 Ultra Source 17,500 Watt Portable Generator (CARB Compliant): Patio, Lawn & Garden

J.gif

/ Generator advice #3  
We recently lost power for three days due to the remnants of Hurricane Irene. A 6000 watt Generac (Honda 11hp) did a fine job of keeping refrigerators, freezers, water pumps etc going among five houses. We used it two ways. The generator was put on a trailer and moved from house to house for a couple of hours run time each a couple of times a day to keep freezers cold and well pumps running for a while. Long extension cords allowed a couple of adjacent homes to be fed simultaneously with 110v. In a couple of homes the main was disconnected from the public utility and then back-fed 220v electricity to the whole house via the dryer outlet (using a special double male extension cord).

Based on our experience, I'd say that for emergency use with no air conditioning or electric heat to worry about, that a 6000watt unit is more than adequate for a household. It can handle all refrigeration, lights and at least one other big draw such as intermittent 220v water pump or microwave, oven etc simultaneously. Even with full electricity, a refrigerator/freezer compressor only runs a third of the time. We found we could keep frozen goods solid and the refrigerator reasonably cold with just a couple of two hour runs per day.

If there is no need for 220v then probably a 4000watt unit would be adequate to run a couple of refrigerators, freezers etc and also provide TV, lights, cell phone charging etc. One idea I will add for our island situation next time is to charge up a couple of marine deep discharge batteries while the generator is running and then use an inverter to allow continued use of lower amp 110v appliances/lights etc while the generator is off. Even a couple of 100amp/hour deep discharge batteries ($100 each) would manage quite a few electrical devices through an inverter when the generator is not running. An inverter could also be used with your car battery that way so long as you have gas to recharge it with the car engine. I'd imagine you could even keep a refrigerator going with a 1000watt inverter and the car idling for an hour or two several times a day.

Diesel powered generators are overkill for intermittent use IMO. They cost at least three times as much as an equivalent gas powered unit and if you are using it for only a few days every few years they really don't make much sense. Before I went that route I'd just get a PTO powered unit for the tractor. One less engine to maintain. I don't generally like the idea of tying up the tractor like that but it can be used intermittently (especially if you use the battery/inverter idea as part of the plan).

Biggest issue with any of the non propane generators is keeping them in running condition and avoiding the stale fuel and gummed up carburetor issues. Draining the fuel tank after each use or at least being compulsive about running the tank dry and adding stabilized new fuel at least once a year is critical. I prefer hand start as the battery for an electric start generator will likely be discharged if you use it only once every few years.

Last edited:
   / Generator advice #4  
if you use it only once every few years.

Make sure that never happens. Start them and run them with a load every month or two. Keeps things flowing well and you'll have a good idea that you won't have to go outside in a storm to find out why the blasted thing won't run. This goes for the big ones too. Our neighbor had his whole house natural gas generator die during a thunderstorm two nights before Irene. The cooling system had developed a leak. Larger units can be set to automatically start and perform testing at scheduled intervals.

Keith

/ Generator advice #5  
Make sure that never happens. Start them and run them with a load every month or two. Keeps things flowing well and you'll have a good idea that you won't have to go outside in a storm to find out why the blasted thing won't run. This goes for the big ones too. Our neighbor had his whole house natural gas generator die during a thunderstorm two nights before Irene. The cooling system had developed a leak. Larger units can be set to automatically start and perform testing at scheduled intervals.

Keith

I agree but it becomes yet another maintenance problem and chore that is too often ignored. Best to choose a generator set up that requires less than monthly maintenance to begin with and that might require just a few more minutes to get started. I drain all fuel and run the engine dry after each use and also use just a manual starter. I do run the generator for an hour or two each year just to check it out but don't do the monthly maintenance thing. I probably should remove the spark plug and put a little oil in cylinder between uses but I haven't had any problem with my annual maintenance check strategy. It started on the second pull after 12 months of sitting and on the first pull everytime after that. Thank you Mr. Honda.:thumbsup:

/ Generator advice #6  
I would suggest a diesel gen. You have oil heat and therefore, fuel for the gen. There are plenty of used units out there that might be a bit bigger than you need, but you have stated a pretty decent load and it never hurts the equipment to be oversized. The (size) units that I see seem to be back up replacements at comercial/govt bldgs. that get replaced by calender rather than op. hrs. Back in '99 just before thw y2k crap went around, there was a rental outfit that was selling out, I bought a 30k with close to 8k hours on it (it was trlr. mounted and spent it's life at sales trlrs. for new homes) and it has a small 4cyl Cummins in it and it runs like a top.
All the other posts about excersizing (running) it monthly, must be followed! For the sake of the linemen out there, please install the proper transfer switch to isolate the grid from your power! It does not have to be automatic and expensive, I have a manualy thrown 200amp switch that costs $400, well worth the safety of the guy in the "bucket" trying to power you back up!

/ Generator advice #7  
Looking for some generator knowledge and advice!

I do not have natural gas or a propane tank. I don't think I need (or really want) a whole house system. In the 6 years we have lived here we have not lost power for any length of time over a couple of hours, although we do have power lines and lots of trees.
We have about a 7,000 sq ft house, well water, septic and oil heat. I would like to power two refrigerators, a full size freezer, some lights, hot water etc. I would like to have some heat in the winter if the power is out in the winter, but other than that just the basics.

I have looked at a generac 17500 watt gas powered generator which is about $2300 on amazon. Is there a comparable or better diesel powered unit or anything else I should consider?

Thanks for the help - my $300 TSC unit is great for my barn but will not be of much use if we loose power for a couple of days!

look into a GenerLink. it is a transfer switch for a generator that will allow you to run what you need through your house.

/ Generator advice #8  
.... I would like to power two refrigerators, a full size freezer, some lights, hot water etc. I would like to have some heat in the winter if the power is out in the winter, but other than that just the basics.............

If you have electrically heated hot water, you will need a much larger generator. Electric water heaters really suck the power.

/ Generator advice #9  
If you have electrically heated hot water, you will need a much larger generator. Electric water heaters really suck the power.

My 6000W generator did fine with hot water and ran some lights, a computer and the refrigerator at the same time. I'm sure I could not have also used an electric stove simultaneously but then that is the sort of choice you need to make if you don't want a "whole house" sized generator for emergency use.

/ Generator advice
We have a boiler for heat/hot water.