Leaning tree... advice?

/ Leaning tree... advice? #1  

TNTractor1

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 JD2520
See pics below. I have a fairly large pine that was blown over a few months ago and is leaning on another pine. It needs to come down, but I am a total novice with a chainsaw and this job seems out of my league. It is also on a hillside. What would be the safest way to get it down? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image-1879788733.jpg
    image-1879788733.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 245
  • image-3358978636.jpg
    image-3358978636.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 269
  • image-3720189625.jpg
    image-3720189625.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 192
  • image-630902397.jpg
    image-630902397.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 239
   / Leaning tree... advice? #2  
If it was me, I would trench around the roots a little and cut any roots I could get to and then I would get a LONG chain and fasten to the bottom and pull it away from the tree it's leaning on with my tractor.

I don't know if the tractor you have is large enough to do the job.

Did I mention, Get a LONG chain?

/ Leaning tree... advice? #3  
If it was me, I would trench around the roots a little and cut any roots I could get to and then I would get a LONG chain and fasten to the bottom and pull it away from the tree it's leaning on with my tractor.

I don't know if the tractor you have is large enough to do the job.

Did I mention, Get a LONG chain?

Ex-tra Long chain ...

/ Leaning tree... advice? #4  
Hey I do this on a regular basis here at the house. It look"s to me that it hung up in another I'm not a pro and I've sawed many and many and those that are hung in another tree(BE CARRRRFFFFFFULL)It'll hurt you. what they call"em is widow makers never know what they'll do. They'll kick out,sometimes roll I've hadem stand up straight and turn about 30 degrees just depends on how the grain in the wood is. if you do saw it yourself make shoure you have someone helping you. Best of luck If I were there I'd knock it down for you. B CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Leaning tree... advice? #5  
Good to know your limits TNTractor ! That is a classic 'trouble tree'. Call a tree service ,ask them to get it to the ground for you, if you can wait till they are in the area it will be pretty short money. A lot less than a hospital stay at least :thumbsup:

/ Leaning tree... advice? #6  
Good to know your limits TNTractor ! That is a classic 'trouble tree'. Call a tree service ,ask them to get it to the ground for you, if you can wait till they are in the area it will be pretty short money. A lot less than a hospital stay at least :thumbsup:

X'2 :thumbsup:

My inclination would be a long rope placed as high up the trunk as safely possible. Then I would use a come- along or LARGE tractor at a good distance to pull it in the direction it is leaning, but doing this could possibly get other trees doing some "weird" stuff.

Myself I would avoid messing around the root ball since they can be so unpredictable. I have had luck pushing trees with my FEL, but not as tall as what your dealing with..

If you have the $, hire a tree cutter/logger, he'll have it down faster than you can count out the cash.
If I get uneasy, or the "jitters" I'm done.

/ Leaning tree... advice? #7  
What would be the safest way to get it down?

Be afraid, be very afraid. Tractors and trees are a bad combination. The tree appears to be small enough that it could be pulled down with a come-a-long/chains after being cut above the root ball. Attach the come-a-long to the base of another tree. Whatever you do, don't go under the tree. Those small limbs falling from that height can kill you!

/ Leaning tree... advice? #8  
Not as hard as it looks. Cut the root ball off, then hook a comealong, cable or choker to the butt and pull it out until it lies flat. Cut the hinge on the underside, then saw from the top. You have plenty of room to get away from it if it starts to do something weird. A couple of falling wedges would be handy things to have.

/ Leaning tree... advice? #9  
A rope isn't going to do it. The tree is hung up in another one, straddling it with a fork on each side. You would need a pretty big tractor and cable to pull it off to one side or to pull it back toward you, which isn't a good idea for obvious reasons.

Check out: Hang-up Tree Removal, Step-Cut Technique - YouTube and link to other videos for ideas--some OK, at least one where 3 trees go down at once is just plain stupid so think it over and use your judgment..

/ Leaning tree... advice? #10  
Trees like that , leaning, as a previous posted pointed out are widow-makers...I have a tree service come out a put it on the ground..it is cheap..usually not more than $70 to just drop it...then I take over...it is cheap insurance ...be very careful...extremely unpredictably..