Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Your parents were vegan? I bet there is a story behind that.

100% No story, they believe in healthy eating, more when I was a kid than they do now IMO:laughing: Both graduated from Loma Linda University (Google that) pretty health conscious school. Me, I have "strayed":D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #962  
At least they were surrounded with like minded people. It's a little harder when every event here in cattle country has a meal that is meat based and all sides are flavored with fats/oils or more meat.
The local cardiac rehab has a waiting list to get in. You would think after a life changing event, people would seek out the causes and correct their lifestyle. But no.

I'm not advocating a plant based diet for everyone, only those with heart disease, which is about half of the population. I'd better stop here because the next logical step is a requirement in the soon to be national health care which would include a uncontaminated plant based option at food establishments, which does not belong in this forum.

Now to change the subject. A preview peek of my project, almost complete. I just finished the inner circle and am heading for the finish. It may look like just a few hours work but there are hundreds of cuts on the last few circles! The finished will be in the Projects Forum.

Jim's "dumb" idea. :D

Attachments

• compass rose N.jpg
    compass rose N.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #963  
Don, if you do that center circle all in the lighter red, it will make that star stand out. When you view the rose from a distance, it already has a 3D look.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #964  
100% No story, they believe in healthy eating, more when I was a kid than they do now IMO:laughing: Both graduated from Loma Linda University (Google that) pretty health conscious school. Me, I have "strayed":D

Dennis, was it for health reasons or religion?:laughing: Seeing that Loma Linda University is a Seventh Day Adventist college reminds me of some things when I was a kid. I missed the last day of school in the 6th grade because I went into the hospital (happened to be a Seventh Day Adventist hospital) for an emergency appendectomy on a Sunday night. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I don't know what they do now, but at that time (1952) that hospital served no meat. They had a meat substitute patty that lots of folks hated and complained about. Personally, I thought it tasted pretty good; had a flavor like fried okra.

My mother had an aunt who worked in the business office at the hospital and she and her husband didn't eat meat at home, but when she came to visit us, she sure ate meat.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #965  
Don, if you do that center circle all in the lighter red, it will make that star stand out. When you view the rose from a distance, it already has a 3D look.

Oops don't know if I have enough of the lighter red, what about every other circle on the last five circles?

Can't wait for the next Google Map flyover picture.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #966  
At least they were surrounded with like minded people. It's a little harder when every event here in cattle country has a meal that is meat based and all sides are flavored with fats/oils or more meat.
The local cardiac rehab has a waiting list to get in. You would think after a life changing event, people would seek out the causes and correct their lifestyle. But no.

I'm not advocating a plant based diet for everyone, only those with heart disease, which is about half of the population. I'd better stop here because the next logical step is a requirement in the soon to be national health care which would include a uncontaminated plant based option at food establishments, which does not belong in this forum.

Now to change the subject. A preview peek of my project, almost complete. I just finished the inner circle and am heading for the finish. It may look like just a few hours work but there are hundreds of cuts on the last few circles! The finished will be in the Projects Forum.

Jim's "dumb" idea. :D

Don,
That is one sweet looking compass rose.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #967  
Oops don't know if I have enough of the lighter red, what about every other circle on the last five circles?

Can't wait for the next Google Map flyover picture.

Don, I did some playing with colors and patterns. I didn't take the time to fill in the whole rose, but I illustrated a few 'pie slices' with all one color and one with the continued pattern. Frankly, either pattern will look superb! Here's my scribblin's.

Rose.jpg

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Bird, that is correct, they aren't as "vegan " now, use an egg and milk once in a while, along with some other things. Me, I'm part of that "50%" Don mentioned:laughing: My Daughter has been on a strict Vegan diet for 6 months now, only had one problem because her protein levels got to low.
I hope your experience at that hospital left a good impression for you, I know LLU at one time, was rated one of the best in the world.

Don, whatever way you do that "rosette", it will look incredible, I dont think Gov. Perry has a drive that nice!:thumbsup::thumbsup: What would look really nice if you could use copper or brass for the N,S,E,W symbols. I think that would really "pop" with the earth tones.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #969  
Jim, thanks for the preview. Karen likes all red pavers for the inner circles. I have a half pallet of cracked red pavers that I can cut and utilize, and with them I might have enough.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #970  
Jim, thanks for the preview. Karen likes all red pavers for the inner circles. I have a half pallet of cracked red pavers that I can cut and utilize, and with them I might have enough.

Don
Your Compass Rose is outstanding!! I hate to mention that North looks to be East southeast.....just kidding.

Charlie