Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #971  
Bird,
Don, whatever way you do that "rosette", it will look incredible, I dont think Gov. Perry has a drive that nice!:thumbsup::thumbsup: What would look really nice if you could use copper or brass for the N,S,E,W symbols. I think that would really "pop" with the earth tones.

I thought of the brass NSEW but could not locate them nearby and was going to pour the cement before I could get them delivered. The skinny NSEW pavers set cement will have to suffice. Your daughters low protein is very rare, if she is getting enough calories. (My protein blood test hit right in the middle of normal - after 18 mo. vegan ((no protein supplements))- at least something is working in my favor.)

Charlie, I'll make sure to take the picture with the N at the top so as not to confuse people, :D and Jim can print it and frame it as his original Idea.

I'm a little concerned that at noon the shadow from a level in the middle of the rose misses N by 3". Is it suppose to be a little off this time of year in central Texas longitude/latitude???? I'll take a picture at noon and post it on the project thread.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #972  
I like the looks of the compass. I will vote for red bricks to finish off the last areas.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #973  
OK, well I changed it up a tad by putting another white ring after 3 red, it just kind of hit me that it had to be done. But now I'm stuck on pause. The last three circles are left. (32 more pavers!) The question is what color? Continue with 3 more red or switch to brown? (Or a third option I'm not thinking of....) Input needed.:confused3:

oops, forgot to move North around..

Attachments

• compass rose last.jpg
    compass rose last.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 271
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #974  
OK, well I changed it up a tad by putting another white ring after 3 red, it just kind of hit me that it had to be done. But now I'm stuck on pause. The last three circles are left. (32 more pavers!) The question is what color? Continue with 3 more red or switch to brown? (Or a third option I'm not thinking of....) Input needed.:confused3:

oops, forgot to move North around..

Just when you thought I was out of dumb ideas, I've got a whopper.:eek: Do you have any of the stone left over from your house? Why not cut triangles out of that stone so the inner circle segments match the house?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #975  
Just when you thought I was out of dumb ideas, I've got a whopper.:eek: Do you have any of the stone left over from your house? Why not cut triangles out of that stone so the inner circle segments match the house?

Do you have a flagpole? If no flagpole, how about a flagpole in the center?
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #976  
Jim, I have rock will try it!

Brandi, I first was thinking that won't work because this compass rose is the driveway. But just today I was thinking no one out here will drive on the compass rose and I'll have to make a by-pass around it anyway, so I will keep that in mind.:)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
29* this morning, slight chance of rain over the next couple of days, man I sure would like to get a 1/2" plus. Next week a warm up, yeah, just in time for a 2 night sandblasting job:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #978  
It was 30 degrees here this morning. And there's something else unusual for me. We have 2 live oak trees and they produce a few acorns each year, but this year is just unbelievable. There must be at least twice as many acorns as there's been in any of the last 7 years.

This morning I had to get the ladder and my equipment out and do some pruning since our power line comes right through one of these live oaks. And then I cleaned lots of acorns out of the rain gutter on that side of the house.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Bird, the acorns this year are amazing considering last years drought and the lack of them. The abundance of acorns have been giving deer hunters fits, since the deer prefer the acorns over the corn.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #980  
Jim, we put the 4 different paver colors and the house rock in the last 8 triangles and in the end the brown brick won out. The pattern and texture needed to stay a constant for the flow. When the brown was in the last triangle there were 4 different colors at the junction and the red circle popped out. Sneak preview below.

Attachments

• brown pavers.jpg
    brown pavers.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 101