cedar strip canoe

/ cedar strip canoe #1  

stratton

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota b2320
So I have been thinking about building my own cedar strip canoe, and i finally got to start it the other week. I was wondering if anyone else built one.
I do a lot of kayaking/fishing in my madriver synergy. But being double hulled and plastic it weighs around 70lbs. A cedar strip would allow me to get to those harder to reach spots, Weighing only 30 lbs it would be easy to carry this a few miles with a yoke. Not to mention better looking.
Lots of prep work before I lay on the first strip. I will add a few pics of the process so far. I am guessing it will take me most of the winter to finish it. I will have to wait for warmer weather to be able to fiberglass it. The first picture is what it should look like after but not the exact color and placement of the wood.

designcanoe.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0210.jpg

/ cedar strip canoe #2  
Great!

I've been wanting to build one since I saw an article about them in about 1965. Maybe when I ge tmy airplane project out of the garage I'll start a canoe.

Weight is highly variable, use just enough resin to do the job. A friend built one about 17 ft. long that weighed about 70 lbs. Too much resin.

/ cedar strip canoe #3  
I've never build anything like that, but I'm eager to see your build progress. I love canoeing. My grandpa had an old coleman fiberglass. I swear I paddled a hunred miles in that canoe. If yours turns out even half as beautiful as the one in the picture you can be proud of your work.

/ cedar strip canoe
You can buy a cedar strip but they cost a small fortune, Up to $4,000. I am hoping to get away with 600 total in materials and fiberglass. Or even better you can buy a kevlar for less but it will not have the desired look.
The plans I am following for this 12'canoe, estimate it will weigh just under 30lbs and that's with at least 2 or 3 coats of resin. I Believe some cedar canoes have ribs in them which add strength and a lot of weight. I did add ash stems front and back so i am sure that will add some additional weight. Some people say they are unnecessary, but i like the added protection and look of them.

/ cedar strip canoe #6  
Don't forget to put duct tape on the edge of your forms so the glue won't stick! I have heard some rubbing in bee's wax to. I made a 15 footer back in '85 or '86, didn't use a staple-gun for a year after that!!! Oh, and a butter knife makes the best staple puller.
Good luck!

/ cedar strip canoe
I am taping them tonight. The plans also suggest using staples but i am going with out them. Just clamps and tubing. I am guessing I will be able to get 3 or so strips on each side per day. And maybe a few more on the weekends. It all depends on the bends of the canoe and glue drying time. I hope you don't mind me asking you questions as I go along.

/ cedar strip canoe #8  
Heck no, ask away.

Are you using Tite-Bond glue??? Much better than most other "carpenters glues".

The compound curves (inside-outside-twist) will let you know where staples are needed, which is most everywhere. The good thing is you'll find out within 4 or 5 strips so starting over won't hurt too bad. Been there... :thumbsup:

/ cedar strip canoe
Yeah i am using titebond 3. I know its not needed because its going to be wrapped in cloth and resin but I have a lot of that from other wood projects. My big concern in that i spend all winter doing a good job on the wood and then i mess it up when i get to the finishing stages.

/ cedar strip canoe #10  
That happened to me. Stay away from polyester resin. Use the two-part Wess [sp] System, it is an epoxy.