cedar strip canoe

/ cedar strip canoe #81  
My... I would never put that in the water. It should hang on a wall or place a huge piece of glass over it and use as a table. Truly beautiful, inspirational.

Last edited:
   / cedar strip canoe #82  
I agree I was getting lost in the lines of the canoe. Really impressive job.

/ cedar strip canoe #83  
No this will be my first time with epoxy.
My $00.02 worth, I do my work in the very early hrs. so as to take advantage of the cool temps. Rember anything above 75 is really hurting you. I vac. really good ahead of time,then tack rague it just before hand, another pair of hands works great.also where toss away gloves an change them offen, Epoxy is really bad stuff if it comes in contact with skin(liver cancer)Also youll need a fan blowing across so you don't breath the fumes.I cut every thing ahead of time, I lay the cloth right on the wood then use a squeegee to troul it out after a few passes youll get the hang of pulling it out as far as you can, also any high spots need to be delt with right off.You only want to fill the cloth , the wood will draw it in an youll think youll need more, no dont do it, several coats are better than one,Wet sand between using auto w&dry using warm water an a small amount of dish washing soap.then wash with clean water till the water stays clear(this is important because any film will seen on next coat. after the last coat say 3rd. sand same way then give it a few coats of spar varnish (i use ace)rember to stir this each time an also as you use. the hardener is clear an looking in the can you'll think its ok, but it wont harden. do everything from the keel down an to the rub rails, I get the hull up high enough soas i don't bend..good luck, i use 3to1 from a place in west palm fl. also mix small amounts of epoxy an really watch it an toss it as soon as it gets crumbs . Here are a few shots of my last 2 boat projects.
Army Grunt

Attachments

• IMG_4437.JPG
    IMG_4437.JPG
    886.8 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG_4438.JPG
    IMG_4438.JPG
    960.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0411 (4).jpg
    IMG_0411 (4).jpg
    817.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 562
   / cedar strip canoe
Those boats are art! Very nice. I put the first coat of epoxy on tonight (sealer coat). I talked a while with the tech help that west system epoxy has. They recommended that I let the sealer coat fully cure. Then sand with 120 and lay on the cloth. Their epoxy has a shorter setup time between the tacky stage and cured stage. Since the tacky stage would snag and pull the cloth its best to just sand once dry for adhesion reasons.
I didnt want to try and wet out the cloth and the cedar at the same time. All of the reading I have done scares me. But I can also see some advantages to doing that way. I am a little worried about the next part. Laying down the fiberglass seems like it could go ok or just really bad. But I will take all your advice. I need it.

/ cedar strip canoe #89  
Awesome work! I bet you won´t ever be able to put it in the water. I know I couldn't.