Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,781  
I have a good friend that lives in Kingsbury. My bosses parents live in Belmont. Traveled the old 90 many a time. Its a turn back in history seeing all the old town storefronts from decades ago.

They got me surrounded. :D

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,782  
Bird; If I don't work like that, I'll get old and lose my girlish figure! :D If I want to imbibe, I have to burn the calories!

No wonder I lost my "girlish figur" (Benny Hill):D There are days when I work hard, but like Bird, did that more when I was younger. I will do long days still, but maybe I work smarter now, dont know...Slow and steady:laughing: I am paying for the hard work as a young man, one square bale in each hand and stuff like that to prove "I was a man" pays you back in doubles.:eek:

Jim, your garden is a week better than mine and I know the "real" reason your behind the other guys on tomatoes, your eat'n 'em before they leave the garden!!:laughing:

My Okra is doing good, but I think I planted to close, about 8". Think I should do some thinn'n???

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,783  
Right away after it comes up, I thin to 6" between plants. When it gets about 8"-10" tall, I thin to 12" between plants and leave it. Some people recommend 18" spacing, but I do fine with 12" or even a bit less.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,784  
Right away after it comes up, I thin to 6" between plants. When it gets about 8"-10" tall, I thin to 12" between plants and leave it. Some people recommend 18" spacing, but I do fine with 12" or even a bit less.

Thanks Jim, I usually go 12"-14" in the beginning, but since we all had so much "practice" this year with planting Okra and I had extra seed. I crammed them in. With fertilizer, I may see how they do at 8", if it looks like a struggle, I can thin leaving them at 16"

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,785  
BTW: Dennis, I took FG19's link and ordered the 16 oz Spinosad from Green Light. I've already made and applied 3 gallons with my pump-up sprayer. I mixed it and insecticidal soap together in the sprayer because I've been seeing lots of little powdery green aphids. I mixed 2 oz of Spinosad and 2.5 oz of soap to each gallon as recommended on the bottles. The soap not only kills insects on contact, but it wets the plants and allows the Spinosad to cover better. 3 gallons took care of everything in my garden.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,786  
I picked some up at the farm store she told me about (Dillards) I haven't put it out yet, but when this chance of rain passes I will.

I looked at soap and Neem oil the other day, but didn't pick any out. I was thinking the Isoap would help with the mix "sticking", but may have to use Diesel since I dont have any:D

Did you completely cover the plants? I was thinking just the base and some of the leaf area, I haven't seen anything other than grass hoppers (so far)

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
#1,787  
I am paying for the hard work as a young man, one square bale in each hand and stuff like that to prove "I was a man" pays you back in doubles.

Reminds me of the first time I helped re-roof a house. I carried the shingles 2 bundles at a time up the ladder onto the roof. The last time I did a roof, one bundle at a time was all I could handle, and I really doubt I could handle the one at a time now.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,788  
No wonder I lost my "girlish figur" (Benny Hill):D There are days when I work hard, but like Bird, did that more when I was younger. I will do long days still, but maybe I work smarter now, dont know...Slow and steady:laughing: I am paying for the hard work as a young man, one square bale in each hand and stuff like that to prove "I was a man" pays you back in doubles.:eek:

Well, I am NOT "macho" about it. I agree, slow and steady gets the work done, just takes a little longer. Last year, when I stacked hay in the hay barn, I left the trailer sitting in front of the barn for 5 days. I got up at 3 each morning, and stacked 30, then came in and cleaned up to go to work. 65-70 lb bales do not have me trying to see if I can cripple myself! I try to know my limitations!

Like tonight, my limit will be 2 Miller Lites! That will be 192 calories, and I am sure that I burned that many extra today! :laughing:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,790  
That's really tragic, Don. The news said it's the first first firefighter deaths since 2009.

Dennis:
I try to put my spray under the leaves. I bend over and spray from the bottom upwards and I also spray the ends of tender new stems. With squash and cucumbers, I spray mostly around the stem and at the base. I hardly ever spray the tops of those big leaves, just the bottom. On tomatoes, I spray the fruit to keep worms from getting in around the stems and then I spray the new growth and broadcast the underside of leaves and branches. Do you see a pattern? I try to spray where bugs hide and where they will do the most damage. I hardly ever spray the tops of leaves and never just lightly broadcast spray unless it's onions. I always target my spray areas on all the other plants.

I have no evidence of grasshopper damage yet. Most of my leaf damage is from aphids. I have bell peppers and banana peppers all in a row. The aphids like the banana peppers much better than bell peppers.