Snow, Snow, & more Snow!!!

/ Snow, Snow, & more Snow!!! #1  

bpence

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100 HST - 1995
Well, SE Michigan and the Detroit/Pontiac/Flint area sure got it's share of snow the past few days. About 16-17" where I live on Monday & Monday night. It's a 52 mile drive from work to home and took just over 5 hours Monday night (normally 1 hr. & 5 min). Everything was closed on Tuesday and the road we live on was pretty much impassible. I plowed snow with the B7100 for 5-6 hours on Tuesday and felt pretty good about being able to push those 3 ft. plus drifts around. Not quickly mind you, but the B7100 and I did win. Finally back to work on Wednesday, and low and behold Mother Nature decides to give us another 5-6" of the fluffy white stuff (only 3 hrs to get home last night). Schools have been closed since Tuesday, but should re-open tomorrow. We've had more than 22" of snow in the past three days and predictions are for more over the weekend. Tuesday and Wednesday were nice and cold and windy to go with the snow. High temps near 20. Looks like tonite is snow moving time again to get the most recent 5-6" cleared. I'm starting to worry just a bit as the B7100 could only push the big snow piles around so far, and finding a place to put any more snow could become an issue pretty soon.

The wheel weights I put on the tractor earlier really help with traction. I do use rear chains on the turf tires, but notice a lot less slippage with the added weight (100 lbs. per side). I've been pushing backward with the rear blade facing forward, allowing me to use the blade curve to keep from tearing up lawn and gravel. I then spin the blade around and push with the "front" of the blade for clean up and to move the piles back a bit. I haven't had much success plowing forward and dragging the blade. Anyway, tons of fun.

Don't you just love the smell of diesel power in the mornings (or evenings)?

Bob Pence

/ Snow, Snow, & more Snow!!! #2  
Wow, you guys are really getting belted out there. Got our first significant snowfall overnite 6". The forecast was for only 2". Anyways got my first chance to to work with the 6 ft backblade/ loader combo and the JD4100 in the snow. Very satisfied using the blade turned around pushing bakwards. Worked every bit as well as the 6'6" WESTERN plow that had on my Bronco II. I certainly did miss the radio though.(I won't mention the heater) I'll second the fact that pulling snow is difficult and only increases wheel spin. Virtually no resistance at all in reverse, kept pushing as far as I wanted. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif Just for the record the Blazer rearfacing halogens worked great. Definately need some foward facing ones on the ROPS as the loader keeps blocking the headlights when its lifted. I'm sure you'll handle all Mother Nature throws your way. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Snow, Snow, & more Snow!!! #3  
bpence,
Since our B7100 were born in the same year,do you find for some strange reason as the snow falls it will collect all the way around you in the seat... darn chilling. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

If you want to have even more fun consider a B1630C FEL /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Keep those banks push back and stay safe also enjoy.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Snow, Snow, & more Snow!!! #4  
DFB,
Yeah the weather station kinda messed up on the snowfall here also,for they said 1 inches maybe...we got 8inches /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

I guess Derek over in the Jay Peak VT area still out plowing that 1 or 2 inches of snow the forecasted. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Look on the good side...now you can prep your m/c for the coming riding season.
I like the US Rte 1 ride into Maine than skip into Sebago than scoot on to Rte 2 than pick up Rte 10 south....good day ride on a m/c.

/ Snow, Snow, & more Snow!!! #5  
Thomas

Ahh man, you got more snow than we did /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. We only got about 4-5" /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. It does seem like what ever the forecast says we get direct opposite. Oh well. I just take it day by day. Did do some plowing today about 2/3 of our customers. Will finish the rest tomorrow. Actually it was good going the ground is frozen pretty solid. Only pealed a little sod up. Almost impossible not to with a 9' plow, kinda a like a grader. Possibly more snow for the weekend /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif.

Bob's post sounds like a normal storm for us up here. But if your not used to it it can be pretty bad.

Derek

/ Snow, Snow, & more Snow!!! #6  
Thomas, that's quite a ride for sure . Been on em' all. I'm 14 mi from Sebago now. Nice riding all thruout. How about 113 S from 2. Then over 112. Goes thru the national forest. Can't get enough of those mountains. Meanwhile back at the ranch talked to the folks in VT. Just a little more than an inch there. And the wifes' dad with a brand new 7' Bush Hog backblade we got him for his birthday./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Snow, Snow, & more Snow!!! #7  
DFB,
Nothing like taking a nice long ride thru those mountains when the leaves are changing./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Kinda like the E-Bunny on tv keeps going an going etc.. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Parnets had a camp on East Sebago lake from the early 70's until 89,an thats a good ride around the lake. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Snow, Snow, & more Snow!!!
I had that problem with snow in the seat last year and thought it was just me!! Figured I just wasn't sitting on the seat the right way, although I couldn't sort out how to do it wrong or right.

This year, though, I put a new suspension seat on the little beast and don't have the snow in the seat problem any more.

I'd love a front loader. Maybe someday. Until then, it's just push the piles around in smaller bites.

Bob Pence

/ Snow, Snow, & more Snow!!! #9  
Sounds like you're having fun Bob! I guess we've got more coming tonight. I see a TPH blower in my future when we move. If this keeps up, the county is going to run out of room for the snow.

Rob

/ Snow, Snow, & more Snow!!! #10  
Bob your post is proof of the human spirit and demonstrates it's ability to adapt to almost anything! :)

Here in SE Indiana we got our first snow of the season Wednesday. Prediction was for 9 inches but we only got 3 inches with freezing rain on top. Have 900 foot gravel driveway was anxious to see what my new JD4300 with front blade could do. Put blade at maximum angle and pushed hydralic level all the way forward into float-mode. I have been using a 12-horse riding mower with front blade and what a difference the right equipemnt can make. Set the tach at 1500 RPMs and the 4300 with R4s just purred as it proceeded scrape the ice and snow off the driveway like it wasn't even there. I kept thinking with a smile on my face....WOW what a kick-a$$ machine! I no longer fear January....bring it on Mother Nature, let's see what you've got! :)

Chuck in IN.