Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Just wasted another ten minutes telling a pair of strangers I don't want them hunting on my property. Every fall I seem to get at least a dozen driving in for that reason, and they are as bad as the d*** solictors who ignore my signs. Anybody got a suggestion that will keep the wannabe hunters from even asking? Putting up NO HUNTING signs, perhaps? I do permit friends and neighbors to hunt, which is why I turn away anyone I don't actually know.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #2  
We put up No Trespassing signs that meet the NC legal requirements both in the signage as well as placement on the property. The signs have text about no trespassing, hunting, fishing, etc. I have never had a problem with people driving up to us asking to hunt. Contractors and such have asked when working on the house. The signs seem to work. More importantly the reduce our risk of liability.

Later,
Dan

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #3  
Consider yourself lucky that they are asking! These parts we spend most of the season running folks off that didnt ask. You need just to put up with it. Post your property it may help some,good idea to have posted signs anyway.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #4  
Hey can I come by and hunt. JK Like Pitch said atleast they are asking. I ran several off my land last year.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property
Hey can I come by and hunt. JK Like Pitch said atleast they are asking. I ran several off my land last year.

Any and all TBN members are welcome to come and hunt here...the reason so many of them stop and ask is because the placement of my 11 acres looks like I own the 120 behind and to the north of me. Four deer were harvested here last season and my neighbor said he recorded an 11 pointer on his trail cam last week...about 500 feet back from where I type this.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #6  
I don't have an example off hand, but have seen signs that say, in effect, restricted - commercial hunting only. Then if you catch someone, you can say "the fee for hunting on this property is $1,000.00 per gun per day. You are in luck, no-one booked today, so pay up." Probably not the correct legal term, but it is the equivalent of theft of services to hunt without paying. A friend who has done this tells me it works rather well.

The U.S. Magistrate Judge over the Army Ammunition Depot in eastern Oklahoma has told me numerous stories of people who try to hunt on the depot, which is overrun with deer. It is a federal crime, the fence is well marked and high, the feds confiscate everything, and the fines are steep. The feds even have a decoy they put out just in sight of the road that some just can't resist. Every year they catch a bunch of folks who do it anyway and pay a heavy price.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #7  
Any and all TBN members are welcome to come and hunt here...the reason so many of them stop and ask is because the placement of my 11 acres looks like I own the 120 behind and to the north of me. Four deer were harvested here last season and my neighbor said he recorded an 11 pointer on his trail cam last week...about 500 feet back from where I type this.

Thanks and if im ever in Michigan I might have to stop by. The problem with my place is that one section that I dont run cows on is all wooded and that is where i hunt. The fence is down and people think they can just come in and hunt. I had two people drive up to my feeder last year while I was sitting in the stand, they got off and was walking around while I sat there and watched them. To top it off it was open day of bow season. After about 15 min of watching and seeing what they were doing(they had bows them selves) I fired a shot in the ground next to their atvs (I had a 45 cal pistol) they knew i was there then. I asked them what they were doing and they said they knew the owner. I said I dont know you and the next time I caught them here the atvs would have a new owner. So far have not seen them. I do have no hunting and trespassing sign up about every 50 foot.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #8  
JDgreen227 said:
Just wasted another ten minutes telling a pair of strangers I don't want them hunting on my property. Every fall I seem to get at least a dozen driving in for that reason, and they are as bad as the d*** solictors who ignore my signs. Anybody got a suggestion that will keep the wannabe hunters from even asking? Putting up NO HUNTING signs, perhaps? I do permit friends and neighbors to hunt, which is why I turn away anyone I don't actually know.

you answered your own question, post a no hunting sign so it speaks for you. I've been hunter free since posting mine. Now, curious trespassers wondering what is down that mysterious gravel road I call a driveway, on the other hand.. No signs seem to keep them out. Thinking of a gate, but have to save my pennies for that.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TractorByNet

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #9  
The problem may be the friends and neighbors you allow to hunt there. THEY could be the ones who are advertizing the location. All it takes is one bigmouth to spoil it for the rest. I'd shut it down for all until things settle down. Tell them up front what your concerns are. Sure post the signs, but hunters who broadcast their options, locations and successes get the deer fever going.

We have a lot of "a friend of a friend" claims around my place. I have allowed one friend to hunt on my back 10 and already has hinted it would be nice if a friend of his could also come by. How do these people arrive at such thoughts? We even had some poachers placing NO HUNTING signs up to keep other poachers that they bragged to from coming here. One guy has been caught TWICE for poaching and has not learned his lesson. I used their deer stands for windmill tower ladders.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #10  
I'd post some signs along your property as well as by your drive. Maybe they will get the hint.