Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #11  
Post a sign that says "I dont give permission to hunt on my property" at the road?

Aaron Z

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #12  
You should have it posted whether you let people hunt on it or not. It's just the smart thing to do. Especially, if you have the large wooded parcel behind you with the big deer on it. Big bucks attract hunters...and poachers.
I'm not familiar with the laws in Michigan but it's a lot harder to prosecute if your land isn't posted with "No trespassing" signs.
I would consider the people asking to hunt the "red flag", and go ahead and get the signs and the necessary hardware to post it correctly.
I don't think you will regret having spent the time or small investment of money.

Last edited:
   / Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #13  
Agree with the thought that at least they are asking. I bet if they came to you (or any landowner) several months PRIOR to the season and offered to help with projects/chores for the privilidge of hunting, they might get a more positive response from most landowners.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #14  
Agree with the thought that at least they are asking. I bet if they came to you (or any landowner) several months PRIOR to the season and offered to help with projects/chores for the privilidge of hunting, they might get a more positive response from most landowners.
Ditto.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #15  
The problem may be the friends and neighbors you allow to hunt there. THEY could be the ones who are advertizing the location. All it takes is one bigmouth to spoil it for the rest. I'd shut it down for all until things settle down. Tell them up front what your concerns are. Sure post the signs, but hunters who broadcast their options, locations and successes get the deer fever going.

We have a lot of "a friend of a friend" claims around my place. I have allowed one friend to hunt on my back 10 and already has hinted it would be nice if a friend of his could also come by. How do these people arrive at such thoughts? We even had some poachers placing NO HUNTING signs up to keep other poachers that they bragged to from coming here. One guy has been caught TWICE for poaching and has not learned his lesson. I used their deer stands for windmill tower ladders.

This is the same situation I found myself in. I let my Father-in-law hunt at our place, then because of him it extended to my Brother-in-law, and then they have brought friends at times. Of course, they usually brought their friends when they thought I wasn't home and I wouldn't see them.

I have addressed this with them and let them know that the next time someone other than those two (FIL and BIL), that's going to be the end of hunting for everybody. I don't mind them being out there, but the friends-of-friends can mention it to other friends-of-friends, and pretty soon I've got an pyramid scheme of hunters that would make Amway jealous.

I recommend the sign that says "I don't grant permission to hunt." How much clearer can you get?

Good luck and take care.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #16  
... I asked them what they were doing and they said they knew the owner. I said I dont know you and the next time I caught them here the atvs would have a new owner. So far have not seen them. I do have no hunting and trespassing sign up about every 50 foot.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I had two bozo's try the "We know the owner line" on me once. Then they said their daddy always had hunted the land. Not quite sure what I said at that point but I am sure it was pointed. :D

The walked right past a posted sign. No way they could have missed the sign. Two twits on ATV's blew past the same sign a year or so later. They ran off when they hear me shouting at them. :laughing: They heard the word SHERIFF and drove off as fast as they could to the nearest road. I could hear them talking on the road and I heard them say "mumble mumble mumble SHERIFF!" and they drove off again. I am pretty sure I know where they lived. :D They have not been back because the cleared property line they were using to trespass on our land has grown back and is now impassible.

Later,
Dan

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #17  
I was invited to go pheasant hunting by a friend who was driving around after season was over, looking for somewhere to hunt. He simply drove up to the owner's house, and asked. He was told that he could check with the later in the year, and would be given an answer. My friend didn't have the time to donate to help with chores, but he did bring a gift every time he came by. (seems like about seriously nice piece of beef started it). Anyway, the old man passed away one year and the son met him the next year. (son was doing chores at the old man's place which adjoined his). My friend was told that since nobody was staying in the house, go ahead and stay there. (three story farm house). He invited me ONLY after confirming with the son that me being brought up from Florida was ok. I made sure to pick up the tab for dinner for his family every night we could get them into town, in addition to what my friend did. Although I was invited back, I haven't been because spending vacations without my wife isn't fair to her (first one was a business trip paid for by the company)
David from jax

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #18  
All we have to do is paint a purple swatch on a telephone pole or on fence posts to indicate its no hunting/no trespassing. And if asked they need a note or better have the phone number of the land owner or get ticketed.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #19  
Post a sign and explain why you do not allow hunting, and clearly state asking won't help. Consider upping your patrols though, as the ones who don't ask, seem to help themselves.

IMO, I would be happy if they asked, there still are hunters out there who repect the land owner, but getting harder to come by.....wonder why? If its a liablity issue, have them sign a waiver. Times are tough on many, and typically I will give breaks to those I know who have it hard.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property
Will be posting signs that read "No Hunting" at the entrance of both driveways this weekend, but odds are most people will fail to see them. None of my neighbors or friends have spread the news about their spot, because they want to keep the free and easy to access site to themselves. Those who do stop and inquire are, in my opinion, simply driving around looking for property that has no signs posted.