lawn mower blade problem

/ lawn mower blade problem #1  

LMan1967

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1643
On my ZTR, its got three blades. I mow about 5 acres with it...not putting-green smooth grass, but not wilderness, either. I stick to the grass.

Last year, my wife came and told me that she accidentally hit a piece of metal in the yard while mowing. I look at the blades and sure enough, the back (hi lift area or whatever) area on all three is blown out/broken off, and the front edges are...not edges any more. Blunt as a butter knife.

So I put on three new blades, and both of us have been real careful about picking up the sticks, hitting nothing but grass, etc. a week ago I go to sharpen the blades. two of the three look EXACTLY like the old set did...the back of the blades is blown out/missing, no edges any more, completely ruined. :confused2: Weve hit nothing worse than a pine cone!

Whats going on? I can rem using a push mower for decades on a suburban yard, hitting all kinds of things, and NEVER actually seeing 1/4 of the blade missing! Why am I going through blades like this? :confused3:

/ lawn mower blade problem #2  
Sand, small sticks and pebbles, but especially sand, will eat blades and dull them like a brick.

/ lawn mower blade problem
Yeah someone suggested to me it was hitting anthills. Dont think that would break off the backside of the blades, though...:confused3:

/ lawn mower blade problem #4  
All three of mine were ruined, 2 had the lifts broken off, all were brand new in April, nothing but sand and small sticks.

/ lawn mower blade problem #5  
Sand will wear away the blade in a hurry. End, front and back.

/ lawn mower blade problem #6  
Any pictures?? I cant visualize what you actually mean by "backside broken off"

IE: are they actually broken?? or just worn down?

All three of mine were ruined, 2 had the lifts broken off, all were brand new in April, nothing but sand and small sticks.

This....the lifts are broken off. Thanks, I didnt know that's what they are called :)

At least its not just me, although my problem remains :laughing:

I wasnt counting on having to replace all the blades 2x a season...this is an unpleasant development!

/ lawn mower blade problem #8  
Are they actually broken?? or just worn down??(or worn so thin that they THEN broke?)

/ lawn mower blade problem #9  
I've mowed a lot of grass in the past half century, starting with reel mower, 1 push mowers, 2 ride on's and the past three years have had a ztr. I have never replaced a blade until this ztr, sharpened them enough, but never replaced. I'm on the third set now. I feel your pain.
Donnie

Are they actually broken?? or just worn down??(or worn so thin that they THEN broke?)

Ill take a pic and post it when I get a chance. They are broken.

Im thinking it may be the high RPMs. A push mower runs, what, 3600 RPM? I know ZTR blades turn a lot faster.