lawn mower blade problem

/ lawn mower blade problem #11  
I will try to explain what is going on. When you mower you pick up debris, IE, dust, sand, rocks. The air flowing over the air lift tends to get more dirt abrasion right where the blade is bent to create the lift. this sandblasting slowly cuts the blade at that point, until it basically cuts the air lifts off the blade. Blades from years ago didn't seem to have this problem like todays blades, so I don't know if they are just softer, or a different material.

/ lawn mower blade problem #12  
RANDYT said:
I will try to explain what is going on. When you mower you pick up debris, IE, dust, sand, rocks. The air flowing over the air lift tends to get more dirt abrasion right where the blade is bent to create the lift. this sandblasting slowly cuts the blade at that point, until it basically cuts the air lifts off the blade. Blades from years ago didn't seem to have this problem like todays blades, so I don't know if they are just softer, or a different material.

Can a hard surface be welded on to the backs of these blades to cut down the erosion?

/ lawn mower blade problem #13  
I dont think ZTR blades really spin much faster than a pushmower @ 3600.

Most tout a blade-tip speed in the 19,000 fpm range. Thats 228,000 inches per minute.

An average 60" deck will have 20" blades. 20" times pi (3.14) is 62.8" circumfrence

228,000 IPM / 62.8" = only 3630 RPM

Another way to look at it....compair the size of the spindle pulleys to the motor pulley. For the blades to spin faster than the motor, the spindle pulleys have to be smaller than the motor(drive) pulley. Most are the same (or close) sizes.

RandyT explains what is going on pretty well. But it usually dont happen in only one season unless it is REALLY sandy OR you are mowing ALOT.

Thicker blades will help too as will a milder blade. (NOT a high-lift).

/ lawn mower blade problem
Thanks for the info. I'll look for a lower lift blade then.

I cant do anything about the sandy soil or how much I mow, but its not alot....I only avg about 25-30 hours a season on the clock.

/ lawn mower blade problem #15  
I replace blades at least once per year on my regular use mower with 48" deck. The lift fins will be completely eroded away or paper thin from the sand erosion. Perhaps if you have a dense cover like St. Augustine, the sand will not erode the blades, but in my Bermuda grass/mixed grass lawn the sand can come right through and just tears up the blades in a very short time. I consider blades a consumable just like gas and oil.

/ lawn mower blade problem #16  
Blades don't last the way they use to, I don't know if it's inferior metal, higher speeds or what, I use to get 2-3 years with sharpening easily, now I rarely even sharpen them. By the time they dull they're worthless.

/ lawn mower blade problem #17  
Wow, I did not know sand would do this to mower blades. I have never had to replace a worn out blade, but I don't have any sand either.

/ lawn mower blade problem #18  
Blades don't last the way they use to, I don't know if it's inferior metal, higher speeds or what, I use to get 2-3 years with sharpening easily, now I rarely even sharpen them. By the time they dull they're worthless.

The OEM 7-Iron deck blades on my Deere lasted 8 mowing seasons (about 75 mowing hours per season) with only minor touch ups to the cutting edges every year and when I replaced them with Gator blades two years ago they (OEM) were still reasonably decent and could have been resharpened and used. Much of the 5 acres of yard here are rough weeds and my ATV trails that I cut are full of grapevines, etc. but after 2 years the Gator blades still look almost new and there is no erosion anyplace. LMan1967 says he only goes 25-30 hours a season...I am amazed any blade can be that worn down so quickly but I don't have any sand.

/ lawn mower blade problem #19  
The OEM 7-Iron deck blades on my Deere lasted 8 mowing seasons (about 75 mowing hours per season) with only minor touch ups to the cutting edges every year and when I replaced them with Gator blades two years ago they (OEM) were still reasonably decent and could have been resharpened and used. Much of the 5 acres of yard here are rough weeds and my ATV trails that I cut are full of grapevines, etc. but after 2 years the Gator blades still look almost new and there is no erosion anyplace. LMan1967 says he only goes 25-30 hours a season...I am amazed any blade can be that worn down so quickly but I don't have any sand.

It's the sand, no doubt, when I got property with a high content of sand my blades went to hel!!

/ lawn mower blade problem #20  
It's the sand, no doubt, when I got property with a high content of sand my blades went to hel!!

Have to wonder if mowing right after a rainfall or after the yard being sprinkled would cut down on the amount of sand being lifted?