Diesel Generators

/ Diesel Generators
So water cooled are better than air cooled. In colder climates wouldn't the water cooled generator have a higher probability of freezing over? What makes water cooled so much better than air cooled?

No propane for me, I'm all electric.

/ Diesel Generators #12  
So water cooled are better than air cooled. In colder climates wouldn't the water cooled generator have a higher probability of freezing over? What makes water cooled so much better than air cooled?

No propane for me, I'm all electric.
You use antifreeze. sheesh, all large stationary engines do better watercooled.

/ Diesel Generators #14  
What do you pay for propane? Did a search and see its about $3/gallon if my calculations are right that would be about 275 gallons and over $800 for the 10 days. If that's right that's a big hit to the pocket book. My prayers are with everyone in the NE.

Just checked the bill and we paid $2.24 per gallon with the cash discount.

/ Diesel Generators
1,800 RPM Diesel water-cooled generator

That is what I will be looking for.

/ Diesel Generators #17  
JD and Yanmar also make good engines used in generators.

Besides a dedicated genset, there are also welders with diesel engines. If I would buy a diesel genset for our needs, I would go with a welder with a diesel engine, based on the research I did years ago. Instead I bought a generator that hooks up the DR mower. Much cheaper and for our needs it will work. So far, knock on wood, we have not had to use it.

Later,
Dan

/ Diesel Generators #18  
if you are only looking at power plant.. and not gen heads.. I'd take diesel first.. and liquid cooled source if possible.. though a properly setup air cooled diesel can give decades of service life. look at deutz...

/ Diesel Generators #19  
if you are only looking at power plant.. and not gen heads.. I'd take diesel first.. and liquid cooled source if possible.. though a properly setup air cooled diesel can give decades of service life. look at deutz...

My last generator was a 2 cyl. 16 HP Duetz powered. Nice unit, but 3600 RPM air cooled unit that was reliable, but noisier than ****. The engine line is no longer made and was sold to Lombardini, who was sold to Kohler. I believe that the smallest Duetz available today is on the big side for a home sized genset.

paul

/ Diesel Generators #20  
It cost me $32 to run my gasoline powered generator for 12 hours.

That hurt, but it was still a lot cheaper than a flooded basement.