Diesel Generators

/ Diesel Generators #21  
personally, i have installed maybe 20-25 gensets over the past 10 years. of these only the large 100KW unit was diesel. Three or four were gas units and the rest were propane.

I live in an area where propane rules for residential heat source. Hooking a genset into existing 500 - 2,000 gal tanks is very easy.

I have noticed that all critical use generators are rated diesel only in my location. All the units i have worked on in Hospitals or communication buildings are diesel rigs.

My at home personal generator is Propane with manual transfer switch. Personally, when its cold and dark out, i could care less how much it costs me to be in the light and warm.

/ Diesel Generators #22  
Routine maintenance on a diesel is basically the same as a gasoline engine. There may be more oil and bigger air filters, but nothing difficult. Large overhaul can be more of a task, but most homeowner backup units will never see the thousands of hours of operation that would require a major overhaul.

paul

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Diesel Generators #23  
Just saw on DIY channel's "Cool Tools" that Norther Tool now offers a 13K generator that runs on gasoline, Natural Gas or LP sold under their North Star line. It's called the 13000 TFG (or triple fuel generator) Couldn't find it on the site so not sure of price. As a bonus it's built in the USA, at least the frames and assembly is. It runs a Honda engine but don't know about the generator part.

/ Diesel Generators #24  
Routine maintenance on a diesel is basically the same as a gasoline engine. There may be more oil and bigger air filters, but nothing difficult. Large overhaul can be more of a task, but most homeowner backup units will never see the thousands of hours of operation that would require a major overhaul.

paul

i agree.. you might even say less maint on a diesel than gas.

no plugs to change or 'ignition' to keep up with. pretty much oil and filters.

once it NEEDS an overhaul.. it will be more $$.. but as you point out.. the average backup may NEVER get to those hours..

/ Diesel Generators #25  
Its my understanding air cooled diesels don't do well up north especially in winter. They like heat.
Duetz may be the last maker of big air cooled diesels. Lister made lots over many years.

I am looking at some of the 10hp air cooled on ebay that are tier 4 epa compliant. its said there is a 20hp v2 about to hit the states too.

DS

/ Diesel Generators #26  
Diesels produce less heat than gasoline engines and very little heat if they are running at light loads, so an air cooled diesel can be over cooled if operated in colder climates (not good). An enclosure that is thermally controlled would be recommended to allow the engine to warm up & operate properly.
Liquid cooled diesels may be better suited for cold climates because they have a thermally controlled cooling system. The chances of freezing are no more than your vehicles.
Yanmar makes an excellent air cooled diesels from 4 to 10hp.
These are the cloned Chinese engines you see all over e-bay. My personal experience is to stay away from the clones especially for applications that are critical such as generators.