Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan

/ Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan #31  
We will be building a new house this year and I want to go with an outdoor wood boiler as the primary heat source. My wife is concerned as a co-worker told her "don't get one of those, they only last 5 years".

I'm looking at one of the Central Boiler E-Classic units that is a high efficiiency boiler.

What have you seen for life span on wood boilers?

wsp617,
Looks like your post was hijacked.

I think if Skybox wants to discuss emissions from wood heating appliances, outdoor wood boilers, gas appliances and geothermal installs - he could start his own postings to begin that discussion and drive it wherever he wants - obviously he has an agenda.

To Skybox - don't forget that both Heatmor and GARN are in MN too. I can't help to point out your close proximity to Hawken, Heiss Heaters and Burnrite - they are in MI of all places.

/ Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan #32  
I often though about solar panels but the price is still just a bit to high for a reasonable payback - for my situation. I think the berm house is pretty neat. If I was starting from scratch I would definitely consider it. This summer I'm going to construct a simple solar drain back water heater for my chicken coop. Hot water is nice to have when cleaning the poop pans.

How expensive is it to build a berm home say 3000 SF average construction materials. Hopefully we're done with OWB topic - don't want to hijack the topic.

/ Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan #33  
Next point, yes OWBs are considered a whole house heating system and they do burn significantly more wood, but they also emit more pollution per hour than a typical indoor room wood burner.
And your point is? How do their emissions compare to an indoor wood boiler of the same size? Comparing an OWB to the little stove in the living room is comparing apples to oranges.

Aaron Z

/ Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan
wsp617,
Looks like your post was hijacked.

I think if Skybox wants to discuss emissions from wood heating appliances, outdoor wood boilers, gas appliances and geothermal installs - he could start his own postings to begin that discussion and drive it wherever he wants - obviously he has an agenda.

To Skybox - don't forget that both Heatmor and GARN are in MN too. I can't help to point out your close proximity to Hawken, Heiss Heaters and Burnrite - they are in MI of all places.

I agree. Very strongly opinionated on his "Greenpeace agenda". I have already started skipping over his replies as they have nothing to do with my situation. Thanks to all of those that have stayed on topic. I am off from work next Tue/Wed and will be meeting with the OWB dealer. They are also an HVAC as well as a plumbing contractor so I will be discussing other areas of the project.

One off my co-workers has had an OWB for 3 years now and he loves his. Said he heats his hot water with the OWB in the winter saving him about $50 a month off the electric bill. Said he actually shuts the breaker off on his water heater. He also estimates an annual savings of $1800 on LP each year. He said the only mistake was not putting in-floor heat in the garage when he built it. He has in-floor heat in the basement of the house and said it's warmer downstairs than it is up on the main floor (1.5 story log house with walk-out basement).

I plan on doing the same thing with in-floor heat in the basement (ranch w/ walkout) and the three car garage. Also want to heat the hot water in the winter time. Then have a heat exchanger in the plenum of the LP FA furnace. Hoping it all works out well.

/ Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan #35  
I do apologize wsp167, Shwally is right it was insensitive of me to hijack the thread so back to OWB.

Shwally you are right with respect to accusing me of having an agenda. That agenda is to make sure anyone considering purchasing an OWB has all the information before making a purchase. Hopefully, I have given them some facts to chew on. I am in no way affiliated with any OWB manufacturer nor do I endorse any OWB product. As stated, I feel they are the most disgusting heating system available in today's society.

I have been down this road with owb's in the past and folks like Shawally try to dissuade others not to believe the information being presented by trying to make it sound like the person presenting the information is somehow connected to the oil industry, gas industry or other competitors of their industry. I can assure you that is not the case.

Even if you don't believe me hopefully you will objectively consider what has been stated in the thread. The OWB industry has also alienated the wood burning industry ( indoor wood burners). Indoor wood burners are regulated by the EPA and have been accepted in most communities. However, OWBs are so intrusive and have caused so much misery that many people are lobbying their state and federal legislators for tighter restrictions on all wood burning. This has angered the indoor wood burning community because they're being penalized for the abuse caused by OWBs. You don't have to believe me just do a search on the alliance for green heat and subscribe to their newsletter. They are livid because incentives for purchasing wood burning appliances are being discontinued because legislators have been swamped with OWB complaints. Constituents have made it quite clear that they do not want any incentive for those purchasing OWBs. As such, the whole wood burning industry is taking the heat. What I'm basically saying is there is no love life between the indoor wood burning community and OWB manufacturers.

I said in earlier and I'll say it again purchasing an OWB is like driving while intoxicated. You may get away with it for a while but eventually you're going to get caught and pay a stiff penalty. For those of you who don't understand the law, if someone complains that your OWB is causing their family health problems or interfering with the ability to enjoy their property you have a good chance of being shut down and possibly sued under product liability law. The gates have been opened. As previously stated this is why CB put the " not responsible for any nuisance created" in the user manual. Gee I wonder why.

/ Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan #36  
I wish you the best wsp167 even though we disagree on OWBs. Hopefully you found something useful in my replies that will help you make the right choice or avoid smoking out your neighbors. No hard feelings on my part the reason these forums exist is to share opinions and ideas. I know I came on strong concerning this topic but I just don't like these things.

Best,

Skybox

/ Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan #37  
And your point is? How do their emissions compare to an indoor wood boiler of the same size? Comparing an OWB to the little stove in the living room is comparing apples to oranges.

Aaron Z

Re: Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan
What would you feel more comfortable with next to your home belching out smoke, a small car or a large diesel truck.

/ Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan #38  
Re: Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan
What would you feel more comfortable with next to your home belching out smoke, a small car or a large diesel truck.
It depends on what I am doing. Comparing the emissions from a living room size stove to an OWB is like comparing a Jetta TDI to a Semi. They will both get you from point a to point b, but the semi can do it while hauling 80k pounds while the Jetta will be unhappy hauling more than 3500 pounds.

Aaron Z

/ Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan #39  
I've looked at them, but the investment and work involved with maintenance doesn't work for me. I think a lot of townships and local governments have zoned them out. I think if you have a good sized property, and the ability to handle a lot of wood it might work. I think if I built new, I'd go for a very efficient home, maybe a small woodstove or a gasifier unit. But I might be a bit lazy, the OWB looks like too much work for me.

Just noticed Central Boiler is a sponsor here!!

/ Outdoor Wood Boiler Lifespan #40  
It depends on what I am doing. Comparing the emissions from a living room size stove to an OWB is like comparing a Jetta TDI to a Semi. They will both get you from point a to point b, but the semi can do it while hauling 80k pounds while the Jetta will be unhappy hauling more than 3500 pounds.

Aaron Z

Air quality is measured by sampling a given amount of space in a certain time period. A small living room wood burner emits approximately 7 GPH where an OWB will emit 70-200 GPH. The latter will saturate the air and exceed what is considered safe air many times over. The indoor wood burner will not. I agree its like comparing apple to oranges.