Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #251  
   / Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #252  
Yup same here been prepping since before it was cool we thought that's just what you did we didn't know any better.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #253  
I agree.

I can remember finding wolf/tula primers for 20$ a box of 1k.

powder as low as 20$ a pound bought by the pound.. less in 8# kegs.. etc.

projectiles in bulk bags.. not in them lil 50-100 rnd boxes.. etc..

i can remember when i found good brass at the range too.. :)

i tell ya.. I have an old spare lee die set in a couple calibers.. and I have been reading about some people relaoding steel cased ammo.

in the past.. all the steel cased stuff you found was berdan primed and laqured. now the new steel case ( tula anyway ) is int he new polyy coated zinc steel cases, and is BOXER primed for many calibers!

I read a mag article last month where people were colelcting 762x39, 556 and 45acp steel/polimer coated cartridges ( mild steel ) and reloading. the 45acp worked real well with carbide dies AND using lube.

i hear it is a bit harder ont he die.. but with a 25$ lee die set? who cares.. :) and now with boxer priming... no tearring the berdan primer out with the 2 prong tool.. or the old days of making a water press and pressing them out.. then flattening the anvil and drilling a new flash hole.. resizing the pocket tricks..e tc. ( even though you can buy berdan primers occasionally.. etc.. )

I may try it.. I have collected some poly coated ammo and may give it a try on an older die set that was cheap.... :)

Luckilly I have mumble, mumble thousand primers on hand and plenty of brass and powder....

Wolf now is also in those powder coated cases or whatever and are grey and not green anymore. They use to have 2 types the wolf I think went to the polymer cases and the military classic was still laqured but in the late 00s I think they went to the polymer as well.

I saw a set of lee 9mm dies going for $105 last week on ebay so think twice about your lee dies!! You may want to sell the extras right now. I got into it about 2 months ago as I always wanted to and been into guns since I can remember. I started cheap so if I thought it wasent worth my time I would not be out much then the crazy started and I have made my money back!! but I have a lee single stage $25 press. I saw the same press sell for$60 USED on ebay!!

Side note I got a 50rd box of Remington thunderbolts for $2.25 or something at Academy today!

I was stockepiled a but because I love to shoot 22s and did not think this would get like this I shot my last 600 or so up and was not restocking!!!

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #254  
i've got a couple lee presses and an RCBS. mix of C&H, lyman, and lee dies.

currently looking for a 45-70 set.. hope to see one at the show next week.

on some stuff it's hard to come out $ wise.. bit on some big stuff.. like 416 rigby, 458 winmag/lott, 375H&H mag.. et.. where you can get ammo 80-100$+ a box of 20.. then relaoding pays for itself super fast.. :)

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #255  
I still haven't found any .22 LR, but haven't really been looking. I have around 400 rounds left that I have been using (out of a 900 box). If I bump into some I will pick them up.

Got an email from TheMakogroup, the 10- 30 round 5.56 mags I forgot I ordered, have shipped!! I could likely sell 2 an pay for the remaining 8?

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #256  
i've got a couple lee presses and an RCBS. mix of C&H, lyman, and lee dies.

currently looking for a 45-70 set.. hope to see one at the show next week.

on some stuff it's hard to come out $ wise.. bit on some big stuff.. like 416 rigby, 458 winmag/lott, 375H&H mag.. et.. where you can get ammo 80-100$+ a box of 20.. then relaoding pays for itself super fast.. :)

I thought I saw a set of used ones at a store in Greenville a week or two ago. They had a pretty decent price on them too, maybe $35? I know not a steal but in today that is decent. Maybe I made that up in my head. But the one guy I know with a 45-70 has dies and is reloading them so I had no interest, but looking on ebay I should of cleared the shelf on the used dies and then put them on ebay. I think I saw a few lee 270s and I know I saw a set of 300winmag and I know there was a set of RCBS 7mm08 for $35????

If I get back there soon I will look, if you want I can send them to you, ill try and see what I can get them for.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #257  
Oh I have a set of lee dies RCBS and Hornaday dies that I bought this weekend. THe Hornaday dies are 9mm and I have been looking for them for weeks, have a set on backorder from Midsouth I think I may cancel that part of the order??

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #258  
I wanted to get another powder measure and started looking on E Bay. Man, there's a lot of used reloading stuff going for a lot more than you can buy it for new! I made bids on 3 RCBS measures, made what I considered decent bids, but lost out on all three. I finally went online, ordered a new measure, with shipping that wound up to be less than all three of the ones at the auction did.
That got me curious so I just started lurking around. I've seen used 223 dies bidded up to $90, not carbide, regular steel dies. 9mm dies are outrageous, just about any scale is selling at very near new retail. I also checked out some of the big online stores and for the most part, they've got plenty of new reloading tools in stock, but I guess people just think that because it's an auction, they're getting a deal.

Ran off topic there, sorry

I went into the gun store yesterday afternoon just to kill some time and they'd gotten a pretty big shipment of Aquila 22LR in, but since I've never shot that before and I don't need any 22LR, I didn't check the prices. Don't know if it's true or not, but the store owner told me that since all the American companies are working on cranking out the bigger rounds, the imported ammo is all they could get.
I'll try and stop by there again this afternoon and see if they've got any of that stuff left, and check the price is there is any. Just for sh*ts and giggles.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #259  
aguia is a pretty decent ammo. They make all ranges of prices from plinking ammo to some really high dollar bench rest quality stuff. I have shot a bit of it and I would not hesitate to buy it again.

As far as the used stuff goes I think its cause there are so many new getting into reloading and they don't know what it costs and not doing their homework?? But from what I have sseen for the most part the big retailers are OUT of stock on most reloading stuff. All the popular caliber dies are out of stock and 9mm being on that has been out of stock pretty much for a month or more in every brand! I found some here local this last weekend. You cant find a lee press in stock anywere and many of the rcbs starting presses and kits are gone as well. amazon is out of stock on their stuff as well.

Since finding the 9mm dies I really don't need anything right now but always am looking. Well I really need 44mag brass but not that bad right now. and I think I may get on the waiting list for projectiles as it by the time they ship I may need more!!!

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #260  
i believe they are the ones that make those lil 1 3/4" shotgun shells.

so far I hve seen#7, slugs, and a funny buckshot that is 7 #4 and 4 #1 pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.