Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live?

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #41  
Newbury,

The answer is simple: move back to VT.
Case closed.:thumbsup:

And for the record, threatening people with shotguns, or any gun, whether on one's property or not is just sheer foolishness.
And no it's NOT funny, but it is stupid.

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #42  
I am little confused, could someone explain to me what a ROW is? I was under the impression that they were technically part of YOUR property and you had to maintain them, but the power company or whatever just had the right to use them for access. This is of interest to me because they recently built a lot of wind generators around me and I see a lot of access roads cut through the corn fields around me and have always wondered what kind of deal they work out with the farmers.

I have also heard that (I know it sounds strange, but maybe it's true) that after a certain number of years if you are maintaining property (like utility company-owned property) then you can claim ownership to it. It sounded a little far out there for me to believe, but since we are on the subject I thought maybe someone else had heard of that.

Known as "squatters rights" but it comes with some strict requirements and varies by states In general:

1. The use must be "open and notorious", i.e, obvious.
2. It must be for a period of years (varies by states, here it is 7).
3. The landowner "knew or should have known". Thus buying a remote parcel and never visiting it would be open to "squatting".

Some states require and "affiremative" action to prevent squatting. Such as allowing your neighbor to cross your land as a convenience. Get it in writing and renew it it periodically.

Many other discussions on TBN about it, a search will find them.

Harry K

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #43  
I have also heard that (I know it sounds strange, but maybe it's true) that after a certain number of years if you are maintaining property (like utility company-owned property) then you can claim ownership to it. It sounded a little far out there for me to believe, but since we are on the subject I thought maybe someone else had heard of that.

The term you are looking for is "adverse possession".

Adverse possession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #44  
I am a sixth generation Mississippian. My ancestors were here before Mississippi was a state. A couple of years ago a wholesale power company bought a ROW across my property. The power company had a "Certificate of Public Convenience" issued by the state. The "Certificate of Public Convenience" places the full weight of the law behind the power company. I had no choice except to sell the ROW to the power company. I could have gone to court to quibble about the price. The power company did pay well in my opinion. A deed was recorded at the county courthouse.

Per the terms of the deed I still own the ROW (and pay taxes on it). I can do anything on the ROW (pasture, hay, crops) that will not interfere with the HV transmission lines. I can keep trespassers off the ROW. The power company provided fences, gates, and locks across the ROW at my property boundary.

In Mississippi no one has the right to access private property without the owner's permission. Certainly, no one has the right to salvage downed timber without the owner's permission.

That pretty much covers it. Fence off and post your property, and if you do be prepared to have trespassers prosecuted.

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #45  
Newbury,

The answer is simple: move back to VT.
Case closed.:thumbsup:

And for the record, threatening people with shotguns, or any gun, whether on one's property or not is just sheer foolishness.
And no it's NOT funny, but it is stupid.
, You were NOT there. Name calling is against TBN rules. I will have to notify the moderator.

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #46  
Scavinging row firewood IS the Vermont fuel assistance program lol!

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #47  
Around here......you better ask the owner if the wood is on private land. It's called stealing if you don't. One large timber company will sell you a permit to get fire wood after a logging operation but that permit is restricted to designated areas.

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #48  
From a legal point of view ... I have no idea.
I suspect you'd be risking lead poisoning if done on private property.

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #49  
Private property where I reside, but perhaps you could barter their back in exchange for the wood. Maybe have them bring a load of gravel next time, then gate it off.
Barter would be a good thing to get it the way you want it.
I used to ride dirt bikes here in the country, we always asked for permission, stayed out of the fields, only riding the hedge rows and logging trails, we also helped bale hay in the summer, and I always gave the land owner first divs on my deer meat.
However, there will always be bad apples that ruin it all for everyone. As an old rider, there where times when I would cut through other property..not fields I may add. unfortunately, I always felt paranoid about doing it, therefore, I was wide open, creating more damage to the land.
Perhaps if you spoke with the quad riders and permitted them to ride on certain trails, they would be less apt to off trail, and care for what you gave them with a slower ride, they would also be apt to correct the bad apples that destroy the trail.
Riders know other riders, they are a close knit group. Speak to the responsible rider, and he will care for what you offered them..
Otherwise..its very hard to keep them out. typically the responsible ones who ride will be the closest grown up riders near your home. They don't like to **** in their back yard.
I wanted to share the mindset, as these are the thoughts I processed when riding years ago...
I was held at gun point twice, and had to leave my ride with the land owner. We eventually worked it out, and I rode and watched his property as I described...we became good friends.

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #50  
Perhaps if you spoke with the quad riders and permitted them to ride on certain trails, they would be less apt to off trail, and care for what you gave them with a slower ride, they would also be apt to correct the bad apples that destroy the trail.
The problem I see is that (based on the pictures posted) this is just a little horseshoe shaped ROW, at best, it saves 2 minutes of road travel. No real reason to use it at all.

Aaron Z