Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live?

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #11  
Right of Way. A servitude for utilities. Gas, power, water etc.

I understand that much, but who actually owns the land and who sets the rules? It seems that they are not one-in-the-same.

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #12  
Here, I own the land and people might get shot!

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #13  
You own the land. There was a contract between either you or a previous owner establishing the ROW, including specifically what rights of control the ROW holder has.

xtn

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #14  
Long, long ago I was a Right of Way Planner for an Alberta power company for a year. Thankfully I got out of it and back into design. I had a hard time planning routes over others' property and acting like it was good for them. I do understand that it needs to be done though.

But from what I remember, and for our province, the rights of way were only for the company holding the right of way and their agents or contractors for constructing and operating the facilities. The land owner retained other rights and the public no rights different from those of other private land. Most powerline and pipeline rights of way were only for those facilities.

But usually surface rights of way such as those for oil company access roads, oil batteries, etc., had a clause giving rights for other companies' facilities required in conjunction with the primary use (such as our powerlines to serve an oilwell). However, the public did not have rights to enter those roads.

Our company encouraged the landowner to continue to use rights of way in a safe way. For instance, I remember a sod farm being on one, and of course farming/ranching.

As far as timber harvesting goes; here in BC it is allowed on most crown land where there is public access. There are restrictions such as no cutting live trees or "apartment" trees. Also, logs removed must be under 4' (I think--it may be less) . That is, you need to cut trees into short lengths. The purpose being to prevent logging--companies pay royalties for the right to do that, and must do it with a sustainable plan.

Right of way rights are registered to the land title so they automatically pass to future owners.

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #15  
   / Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #16  
It's funny how many people claim this, but very rarely does it actually happen.

I almost shot a hunter last year, It came very close. Glad it didn't happen. And no its not funny at all.

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #17  
murphy1244 said:
I almost shot a hunter last year, It came very close. Glad it didn't happen. And no its not funny at all.

We can talk big about doing it. Once it is done, eventhough justified, you dont feel so big.

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #18  
We can talk big about doing it. Once it is done, eventhough justified, you dont feel so big.

Agree! There's no going back, I'm glad it happened and the end result was good. I will tell you this, I don't think he will come back.

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #19  
I think we should stick to the original topic about land rights and timber harvesting.

Sorry........ but this thread could quickly get derailed.

/ Scavenging downed timber - is it ok where you live? #20  
kco said:
I think we should stick to the original topic about land rights and timber harvesting.

Sorry........ but this thread could quickly get derailed.

Agreed. Never meant to hijack. Timber theft is a problem in my area. It doesnt matter if it is up or down. There are a lot of large landowners that seldom visit their property. Before they know it, they have been logged.