Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #31  
Still have my TI99 packed away. Don't think I have a tape player though LOL

When I took Intro to Dataprocessing, we did a field trip to see the computer.

Years later when working in resource management in the army, we were tasked to provide a member to the automation steering committee, my boss sent me because I had an apple //c at home.

Oh the memories ... Yea that was an envelope of chips to install LOL

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #32  
I put my hands on first computer in 1978. It was PDP-11. To program it we pulled a tape through a reader by hand.
Then I didn't touch a computer for several years until 1986 Commodore 64. Then I had Hyundai 8080 with 20 MB hard drive. After that I went through bunch of desk top and laptop computers one new one just about every year. Never had an Apple. All were either DOS or Windows.
Regarding modems I have seen them all from 300 Bd up.
I am mainframe computer technician by training but have never done it as a job. They were just about dead when I graduated. Nevertheless the knowledge landed me in a job I hold past 22 years and will be retiring from just about year from now.

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #33  
A 300 baud modem? My online work started out with 110 baud modems.

The original "disk doubler" technology was a paper punch
(used to put a notch in the other side of the 5-1/4" floppies so that they could be flipped over and the backside used.)

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #34  
A trip down Memory Lane. Got my start in '65 wiring IBM accounting machines. No Internet or PCs back in those days.

View attachment 308474

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #35  
My first modem was 110 Baud built into a DIY expansion box for a TRS Model I level II machine. Couldn't find a proper phone line isolation transformer so I ended up with two 300 ohm transformers back to back to do the same job. The box also allowed connection of a SS/SD floppy (5.25"), memory expansion and a parallel printer port.

Later I picked up a TRS80 Model 4 & the first modem for it was the original Anchor Automation Volksmodem. 300 Baud direct connect & powered by a 9 volt battery. The Model 4 came with 2 5.25" drives built in, and could run CP/M as well as Radio Shack LDOS.

I sold the Model I stuff to a kid at a hamfest back in the 90's, but still have the Model 4 boxed up in the attic ...

Nick

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #36  
wasn't a pdp used in making tron, the movie? or am i remembering wrong?

I put my hands on first computer in 1978. It was PDP-11. To program it we pulled a tape through a reader by hand.
Then I didn't touch a computer for several years until 1986 Commodore 64. Then I had Hyundai 8080 with 20 MB hard drive. After that I went through bunch of desk top and laptop computers one new one just about every year. Never had an Apple. All were either DOS or Windows.
Regarding modems I have seen them all from 300 Bd up.
I am mainframe computer technician by training but have never done it as a job. They were just about dead when I graduated. Nevertheless the knowledge landed me in a job I hold past 22 years and will be retiring from just about year from now.

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #37  
You know. I had mentioned somewhere before that my first computer was when I was 13. But now I remember having an old Tandy Computer that my dad had bought off of a friend when I was 8. It was a 1988 Radio Shack Tandy 286 PC.

It was like the one in this video.

1988 Radio Shack Tandy 286 PC Commercial - YouTube

That computer was new the same year I was born. :) Boy I'm getting old. Okay not that old yet, (Turned 25 March 8th). But still my age is showing. :laughing:

I even remember playing my first computer game in Elementary School. It was Oregon Trail played on an old APPLE computer. Can't remember the exact specs of it. I played the game on an 5 1/4" floppy disk.

But I do know the Apple computer was close to the one in the link http://oldcomputers.net/pics/appleii-system.jpg if not exact. I do remember the disk drives being off to the side of it just like in the picture.

I think I was 6 when I first played Oregon Trail. Can't believe that was 19 years ago. :eek:

So yeah. My first ever computer was the Tandy when I was 8. But my first computer I connected to the internet with (using AOL. lol) was a computer with windows 98 when I was 13.

Chad

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #38  
How many computers have you had? I started with the Z80 machine, went to a 8088/8087, then a 386/387, 486, pentium, pentium II, pentium 4, and my current i7. Somewhere in there was a Tandy laptop with a 20 line lcd display that I never even figured out what OS it used, and a Mac II that I just tinkered with for a while that used a Motorola 68k chip. That's 10 computers in the last 30 years.

My i7 has more computing power than the world's fastest supercomputer in 1990, and I think the video card alone does better than 2 teraflops.

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #39  
Pre-internet days,used bulliten boards,brother and I tried to tratnsfer files over 1200baud modem,neither of us knew the "AT" commands you needed to answer call. Spent a small fortune on long distance fees!

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #40  
I started w/an Apple IIe with a green monochrome monitor. Every slot on the motherboard was taken w/xtra cards and memory. The machine ran hot, so I installed an external cooling fan that clipped to the cooling slots on the case. It also had 2 floppy drives, and an external hard drive (Apple Profile) with a whopping 12megs of storage!!