Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #21  
gentlemen.. we are dating ourselves pretty badly here... :)

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #22  
I forgot all about the "cassette" hard drives...I'm pretty sure I had one for my C64 in 1982/3. :laughing:

I definitely remember typing in code from the magazines...and typing in dos stuff after class to write stuff.

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #23  
"Zork", anyone?

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #24  
anyone remember eliza the conversational logic program?

ahh.. code from books and mags...

it was in basic.. i remember hand typing that huge monster in and running it on something small and old. might have been a c64.. maybee.... was big.. lots of typing...

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #25  
here's a link to a wiki article on eliza in case anyone has trouble remembering it.

66.. cripes.. i didn't know it was that old. ok.. guess it wasn't a commie that i typed it in on then.. :)

ELIZA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #26  
:laughing: Don't remember that one. But typed a ton of shiiite into the C64.
f828bcec.gif
That's the main reason I can type. :laughing:

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #27  
Our "computer lab" in HS consisted of 2 Commodore Pet's with cassette tape drives. I wish I had taken up programming back then. Only the super-geeks did that. Now I'm a greasy tractor mechanic, lol. Sometime after I got out of HS my dad bought an Apple IIe I think it cost $2500. I was the only one that could do anything with it though it wasn't much.

Brian

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #28  
Most all you guys were into it before me, My 1st machine I bought was a Packard Bell with a Pentium 75MHz CPU, 3-1/2" floppy & a 64meg hard drive. I later added a 2nd hard drive to bring it up to 1.2gig :D.

I started in Jr high on Apple a and was first guy in our class to power up the brand new Apple IIs. One of the guys in my class worked for NASA Glenn & helped design parts of the Space Shuttle. A REAL rocket scientist I was over there & his dad had a IBM at the the time with tape drives & dual floppy drives.

I never found a use for the Apple pcs & decided to go into autobody repair & FFA where field trips were more fun :D

Mark

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #29  
I just missed the punch card generation.
But, mom used to bring them home to use as scratch paper :)

My highschool used to have a teletype computer connected to a mainframe somewhere.

I did quite a bit of work on the 300 baud modem. It really wasn't that bad. It would type about the same speed as my dot matrix printer, or a bit faster than I could type. Text only, of course.

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #30  
I recall using a 4800 baud modem to get on a text based "internet" and all the addresses were "gopher", in the late 80's.